Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 AM

61 posts, read 285,890 times

Advertisements

I just heard about this on ABC news. If you have purchased a new home in the last 4 to 5 years you may want to check this out.
ABC News: Some China-Made Drywall Causing a Stink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times
This was published yesterday in the New York Times about Chinese Drywall

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/bu...l.html?_r=1&em

Also this thread in the Cape Coral Board has a lot of info:
//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...w-fl-home.html

Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times
Default Insurance dropping homeowners with defective Chinese Drywall

This is starting to look like the mess of the century. Insurance are starting to drop homeowners with defective Chinese Drywall. They think there are about 100,000 homes in the USA with defective Chinese drywall, and Florida has about 60,000 of them:

The Associated Press: Insurers dropping Chinese drywall policies

Please, Please if you are planning to buy or rent a home built after 2003, please get informed about Chinese Drywall. It's just not the health hazards but the damage it does to air conditioner units, copper wiring and electronics. I personally think if those gases can do that to metals it must be harmful to a vulnerable human body.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:47 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
This is starting to look like the mess of the century. Insurance are starting to drop homeowners with defective Chinese Drywall. They think there are about 100,000 homes in the USA with defective Chinese drywall, and Florida has about 60,000 of them:

The Associated Press: Insurers dropping Chinese drywall policies

Please, Please if you are planning to buy or rent a home built after 2003, please get informed about Chinese Drywall. It's just not the health hazards but the damage it does to air conditioner units, copper wiring and electronics. I personally think if those gases can do that to metals it must be harmful to a vulnerable human body.
Is chinese dry wall something a qualified home inspector should be able to identify?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,493,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Is chinese dry wall something a qualified home inspector should be able to identify?
It really depends on how good the inspector is and if he knows what he's looking for. If I were looking at new homes in areas where chinese drywall has been found I think I may give these people a call.

Welcome to Chinesedrywallinspector.com Website

Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
It really depends on how good the inspector is and if he knows what he's looking for. If I were looking at new homes in areas where chinese drywall has been found I think I may give these people a call.

Welcome to Chinesedrywallinspector.com Website
Belated thanks for your response.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,595,928 times
I received the following news article today. It's interesting, but I'm a little skeptic. Please note that Chinese drywall may have been installed in any home during this same time period regardless of when it was built. It has been found in more than just new homes.

Gassing the Chinese drywall problem

FORT MYERS, Fla. – Oct. 9, 2009 – According to Sabre Technical Services, the Chlorine dioxide gas used to eliminate anthrax from government buildings also can be used to eliminate the sulfur gases and organisms in Chinese drywall. The gas can penetrate drywall, studs, insulation and other materials to oxidize sulfur compounds and deactivate them into inert sulfate... complete article

Old 10-21-2009, 09:10 PM

228 posts, read 536,299 times
Here is a group holding an "Open Forum" on Sunday for any homeowners with questions about CDW. Looks like they have a decent panel of experts.

USBCI Provides Free Forum for Homeowners to Get ANSWERS to Defective Drywall Questions « US Building Consultants Inc. Blog – Defective Chinese Drywall Issues, Water Intrusion Issues (http://www.usbcinc.com/blog/2009/10/19/usbci-provides-free-forum-for-homeowners-to-get-answers-to-defective-drywall-questions/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida