Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times

Advertisements

If you're willing to go foreign, I've also heard good things about Panama. Seems to be safer than Mexico right now, sizeable stable native-born middle class, and a US-style health care infrastructure. If you can show you've got a $1,000/month pension or assets that would generate that, their retiree visa and its benefits can work well for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 AM

479 posts, read 1,456,146 times
Maybe you can find something close to your price range by looking into foreclosed homes and properties. I saw some condos on the news the other night for $48k that were selling for $250k a couple of years ago. Have no clue what the maintenance fees per month might be on those though. But $20k is not much for any place...most empty lots cost more than that even in this deep recession.

And it's not always 50 degrees or higher in Central Florida. We had several freezes this year with temps in the 20's. Killed almost everything in our yard, but it's coming back nicely now. At least the cold snaps don't last long.

But the farther south you go, you'll likely pay more for housing. Maybe look at some 'for sale by owner' properties and see what you come up with.

If I were as miserable as you are, I'd be looking for a place to move, too. You only have one life -- live it! But visit before you buy anywhere.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:18 PM

65 posts, read 260,051 times
Default Check out North Port

There are a ton of bank-owned foreclosures there and if you are willing to do the work, you probably can get a deal. Find an agent that specializes in that area and take a look. I heard about a single family home with a pool on a great street that sold for 40k. A couple from someplace cold drove down in an RV and have been doing the rehab work themselves.

Regarding living on 200k, I am not so sure. There is much to think about. You could potentially live a very long time. Would you have enough to pay for healthcare? How about long-term care? There is forum I like that talks about these very issues. Check out Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community.

Good luck in your journey.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc View Post
By the way, Alabama doesn't have property taxes.
Where did you get that?
Alabama does have property taxes. You can be exempted if you are over a certain age and have a lower income. Can't tell you the exact number, but my 82-year-old mother was NOT exempted because her income (from social security and dividends) was not low enough.

Certain kinds of federal retirement payments are exempted.

BUT - we do have low property taxes.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 AM

36 posts, read 171,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Where did you get that?
Alabama does have property taxes. You can be exempted if you are over a certain age and have a lower income. Can't tell you the exact number, but my 82-year-old mother was NOT exempted because her income (from social security and dividends) was not low enough.

Certain kinds of federal retirement payments are exempted.

BUT - we do have low property taxes.
You're right. Sorry about that. I meant to say Alabama has LOW property taxes, but Florida has no state income tax. I must have been tired.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,425 times
Default Atlanta is warm!

Atlanta is a warm place that you can retire to. Try this site for more information - It is a new site and will be growing fast!.

After55Atlanta

Old 09-07-2009, 05:14 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you're willing to go foreign, I've also heard good things about Panama. Seems to be safer than Mexico right now, sizeable stable native-born middle class, and a US-style health care infrastructure. If you can show you've got a $1,000/month pension or assets that would generate that, their retiree visa and its benefits can work well for some people.
The question is whether you can actually live on $1000/month in Panama. Does anyone know?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times
'So, just to warp this up… Am I crazy for entertaining this notion? If you were in my shoes with everything I’ve described, ($200k, single, modest needs, semi old farthood, etc.) where would you go and what would you do? I don’t expect any mind-blowing answers… just curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!'

REPLY: Im 55 and just semi retired here in the Florida Panhandle . I have less money than $200 k left over after buying a cheap Mobile Home on an acre of land out in the woods. But, like you., im about to take on a part time job soon for some income and in 7 years hopefully collect SS to the tune of $1600/month. My goal was to buy cheap down here , put a bit of money into fixing it up the way I wanted it, and to have alot of money left over to live off of. Its working out great. Im single like you with no dependants. Homes are pretty darn inexpensive compared to up north and property taxes are silly cheap especially unincorporated out in the woods...which is a SUPER place to live , at least for me. I love my privacy and quiet . Im just 11 miles to a larger town . I too am fed up with 49 Illinois winters where your stuck inside for almost half a year. It was depressing. Im loving it here in Florida and the people are much nicer. Ive adapted very quickly to a new area and things are coming together well.

Id encourage you to take a week or so and visit The Panhandle of Florida where things are cheaper than the rest of the State and the beaches are second to none. Lots to do, see, explore, etc... a great place for a retiree who has some cash behind him. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times
P.S. I paid $58,500 for my 3 bedroom Mobile Home which needed about $5 k. in misc. things . My property taxes are a measily $99 per year . Thats cheap living ! The area is average..certainly not dumpy . Theres so many great deals to be had here with the economy and youll find your money goes ALOT further here than up north . A conventional 3 bedroom home , incorporated, around here runs about $100,000 if you want something a bit more substantial , just to give you an idea. Im located 1 hour east of Pensacola, Fl.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
The question is whether you can actually live on $1000/month in Panama. Does anyone know?
If you want to live like a local probably but as a foreigner you will have to pay the cops every step of the way.
Panama is OK for very rich people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida