Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times

Advertisements

Isn't it amazing how a few people seem personally offended when we point out a flaw in this "paradise"? If we didn't care we would have jumped on the bubble bandwagon and have been buying and selling overpriced properties to suckers from up north and down south. We would be telling others how wonderful Florida is and how the economy is growing and how gorgeous the weather is. Oh yes going on and on about the multiculturalism, hot women and stunning beaches and falling crime rate. But we already have people to do that, they are called the Chamber of Commerce. I found this website looking for the phrase "miami sucks" and was refreshed to find like-minded people here not afraid to speak their mind. I have seen far too many people move to south Florida starry-eyed only to ruin their lives. Between economic problems, and the usual drugs and loose sex, the majority of new residents here fail and have to leave, or become wrapped up in the routines of life. To fix this you need the complainers. We fight to get things done and with more of the rest of us working together, may succeed. The powers that be need to know that they are not just leading a bunch of sheep around, feeding them "positive thoughts" and raping their wallets and trampling on the freedoms of the citizens without consequence. Floridians are known for running from their problems or ignoring them. Let's show the world that some of us have the guts to stick up for what we believe in. Just wish there were more of us out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
How many times have you contacted your congressman/woman, state legislators, etc. to let them know how you feel and providing a remedy to the situation? Or do you just vent to the small majority that visit this site?

Are you fighting to get things done? If so, how are you doing this? Do you think this site is the best avenue to accomplish this?

BTW - Loose sex, depending on your definition, is universal and not just Florida. :-)

Old 03-27-2007, 11:52 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Isn't it amazing how a few people seem personally offended when we point out a flaw in this "paradise"? If we didn't care we would have jumped on the bubble bandwagon and have been buying and selling overpriced properties to suckers from up north and down south. We would be telling others how wonderful Florida is and how the economy is growing and how gorgeous the weather is. Oh yes going on and on about the multiculturalism, hot women and stunning beaches and falling crime rate. But we already have people to do that, they are called the Chamber of Commerce. I found this website looking for the phrase "miami sucks" and was refreshed to find like-minded people here not afraid to speak their mind. I have seen far too many people move to south Florida starry-eyed only to ruin their lives. Between economic problems, and the usual drugs and loose sex, the majority of new residents here fail and have to leave, or become wrapped up in the routines of life. To fix this you need the complainers. We fight to get things done and with more of the rest of us working together, may succeed. The powers that be need to know that they are not just leading a bunch of sheep around, feeding them "positive thoughts" and raping their wallets and trampling on the freedoms of the citizens without consequence. Floridians are known for running from their problems or ignoring them. Let's show the world that some of us have the guts to stick up for what we believe in. Just wish there were more of us out there!
You know, I noticed a lot of that in this forum. Anyone who raises anything against Florida or points out something they dislike or something they see as 'wrong' and the crowd goes wild. You get negative feedback, you get warned by the administration of the website....

Whatever happened to 'there is more than one side to a story'? Can anyone express how they feel about something without being penalized?

I have written my Congresspeople quite a lot in the past and they have been responsive, but the issue is not with the US Congress - it is a LOCAL issue, not federal.

My biggest beef is the lack of planing in Central Florida. No one is holding the construction companies accountable for helping PAY for the infrastructure they use up when they burden local gov'ts with having to build new roads, new schools, etc.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
How many times have you contacted your congressman/woman, state legislators, etc. to let them know how you feel and providing a remedy to the situation? Or do you just vent to the small majority that visit this site?

Are you fighting to get things done? If so, how are you doing this? Do you think this site is the best avenue to accomplish this?

BTW - Loose sex, depending on your definition, is universal and not just Florida. :-)
Yes I have! Most of them are unwilling to speak in person or over the phone, you just get the secretary who says she will take the message. Whenever I write to an elected official I get a standard form response, if nothing else. One person can do nothing but a number of us will be heard! Are you going to let youself be swindled, and ignored by the crooks you elected? I gave up trying to get into a meaningful discussion with congresspeople who only want to listen to their registered lobbyists. Even my parents can't get that comissioner Javier Souto to talk to them, and that's just the county commissioner, who ever gets to speak to a senator directly???

Old 03-27-2007, 12:08 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Isn't it amazing how a few people seem personally offended when we point out a flaw in this "paradise"?

I found this website looking for the phrase "miami sucks" and was refreshed to find like-minded people here not afraid to speak their mind.
"Miami sucks," is not pointing out a flaw. It is hitting the reader over the head with a wood plank so that he accepts your opinion of an area.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:29 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb This site is to hear both sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post

jhlcomp- wish that we knew politicians actually listen to feedback from citizens. Did Jeb listen to feedback after hurricane Charlie? I think not. If people are jaded, it is because of the bureacracy- I dont know anything about Metro-Dade- but if tallrick has tried complaining. and they've done nothing- this is not hard to imagine.

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 03-27-2007 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-27-2007, 12:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
I'm not offended when someone says something bad about Florida as long as it's a fact. Things like high cost of taxes, extremely expensive houses, out of this world insurance premiums or not even being able to get homeowner's insurance are all legit problems. Hurricanes and tornadoes are also things that should concern all of us who will be future residents. I'd rather know about those things instead of be in for a major shock when I move there. I also like to know the demographics of an area and a lot of other things. Any time that problems like that are brought across in a civil manner without a lot of profanity, I personally would never consider editing it.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:57 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,127 times
It seems that it is more than a FEW people who get upset when we Floridians answer wanna-be Floridians' questions. I have also noticed how unappreciative and ungrateful they are as well. Not only do they dislike the truth we tell them, they oftentimes criticize and attack - - not to mention all the backlash that we get from the wanna-be FL home sellers, realtors in disguise - anyone else who would benefit from talking certain places up - not to mention the residents of areas that are well over 100+ miles away from the area that we are offering warnings about who talk about how wonderful Florida is and how we are just "whiners", among other things (which is absolutely disrespectful and rude to us, in my opinion). These other Floridians have NO IDEA what they are talking about - just as I had no idea that different areas of FL were, in fact, VERY DIFFERENT (up until the time that I left St. Pete for Ft. Myers). So, those of us who speak the truth oftentimes wind up getting it from both sides. I am apparently one of the fortunate few Floridians who has lived in different areas of FL; therefore, I do sometimes have the opportunity to give positive feedback concerning future relocation. Regardless of what type of feedback or assistance that I provide - either on the Forum or through PMs - I do care about the original poster and am concerned otherwise I wouldn't put so much time and thought into their inquiries. It takes quite a bit of time to help so many people, but I feel an obligation to do so whenever one of my areas come up on the Forum.

As far as attempting to change things, that is something to do ONLY IF you are planning on remaining in your community otherwise, it is just a waste of time, energy, and talent that could be better used for moving elsewhere. Notwithstanding the simple fact that only so many things can be changed; some of what we deal with down here in S FL is impossible to change, such as the insanity and immorality factors not to mention sheer lack of professionalism and pride of workmanship.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,176 times
Some excellent posts on this thread.

Florida must be viewed not in black or white but in shades of gray, which is the case with most states, cities and metropolitan areas. It is not paradise. Neither is it the worst place in the world.

I'm one of those who chooses to do what I can, however small, to make things better (my wife and I have jobs that aren't very portable and and she also has family obligations, so we're looking at being here a while, probably until retirement). Once in a while, it works -- complaints from coastal residents were instrumental in getting the 100-percent-plus Citizens insurance rate hike scrapped, for example. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But it beats sitting around and stewing about it.

I think most of the posts about taxes, insurance, etc., are fine and usually informative. It is not easy for middle-class people to make it in my area of Florida, and you do need to know what you are getting into if you move here. What I DO object to are repetitive screeds from people who have made it abundantly clear in hundreds of posts that they hate the heat, crime, housing prices, whatever (and often compound the problem by attempting to back up their statements with nonsense). There's a difference between constructive criticism/observations and rants.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 43,103 times
chisoxfan - you make an excellent point. I have read considerable posts on this site.

Yes, Florida isn't nirvana and many have an absolutely valid point in what they are saying; however, I believe there is a more constructive way in being heard. Don't numbers speak for themselves? Instead of being just that one voice that gets heard (or ignored) at the capitol, get petitions, plan and organize which will be one of the ways we may get our voices heard.

Is this of interest to anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida