Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh PLEASE!!!! Don't even try to insinuate that every President past and present hasn't had the same luxury and the same expenses. It is not right to target a Pres and pick on everything he does and that's exactly what you're doing. The only way you can be credible is to state facts of Pres. vs. Pres and adjust it to inflation. If he did nothing, do you know that we'd have more then likely been in a Depression? That precious money would've meant very little just like it didn't back then except you could feel good about your purse full of money.You don't even want to go there because there is plenty of info out there that we could Google about the other Presidents who have spent money more foolishly.

What do you suggest, Sunny? Should we just let the people who are unemployed starve to death? You realize that without unemployment insurance and food stamps, that is exactly what would happen. Is preserving the wealthy that important that others should just die so they don't use up any of that precious money? It was looking like that's the way the Gov. felt. Maybe that'd just give more people reason to sneer and talk about "those filthy homeless bums who lay around my yard."

It has seemed that the last two Governors couldn't care less about the workers in Fla. Now it appears this one couldn't care less about all the unemployed. Maybe he could try to bring industry into the state instead of relying mainly on tourism. They always say what goes around comes around and there may be a day that the filthy rich will feel what it is like to be searching for your next meal just like many people are doing right now. Have you checked out the most recent unemployment rates? That shows that most of those people are willing to work, but there are no jobs available. How sad and even sadder that some people have no compassion for them!

UMMM, is it possible that all this precious money is being spent because of a mess that was inherited????
The stock market crashed in 1929 and the depression didn't really start until the early 30s (around 1933). So that is four years spread. Our stock market didn't vomit blood until 2008, if this follows the same pattern as the great depression or even the long depression (two different depression in U.S. history) we still have until 2011/2012 for things to get interesting. With that said, Obama is making the same silly mistakes they made during the great depression. Saving insolvent banks instead of letting them go bust. Printing ungodly amounts of money to bail out his buddies (the financial oligarchs) and using public works to put people to work :S

I want to know what people think would have happend if banks would have failed? I assure you, nothing would have happened. They would have gone out of business and other banks would have stepped in and bought up the pieces. Not all banks were as reckless and careless as Bank of America, Wells Fargo and the like. Let them step in and fill the void. Same goes for the auto makers. Let them fold up shop and let companies who ran themselves in a far more productive way move in to pick up the pieces. All we are going to be left with are a bunch of insolvent bank and ignorantly high inflation as the deleveraging comes to a close (late this year or early next year). Real unemployment is already at 17% and by real unemployment I mean those who are 1. collecting benefits and are unemployed 2. not collecting benefits and unemployed 3. those who are under employed and unable to maintain their house holds. Nothing is good right now and don't be fooled by things that have nothing to do with the real economy like wall street or the Dow.

I should add I am a political athiest, don't believe in democracy. So I have no axe to grind against Obama. I think he is just one link in a long chain of misfits who have lead this country down a dark path. I fully expect that many of us will not make it back from this one. Unless of course they come up with some meaningful productive capcity. If they do that, then it will be sunshine, rainbows and plasma tvs for all.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,431 times
Default Florida did not reject the unemployment extension!

Florida jobless benefits extension: Gov. Charlie Crist is expected to sign legislation extending benefits by 20 weeks -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Florida jobless benefits extension: Gov. Charlie Crist is expected to sign legislation extending benefits by 20 weeks -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Please access the Sun Sentinel article by Marcia Heroux Pounds dated 4/30/2009. Yipppppeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I also called the house and verified this)

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 AM

569 posts, read 1,668,941 times
I don't think he has much of a choice at this point unless he wants to ruin his career. Florida definitely needs serious help.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM

595 posts, read 761,730 times
Thanks Everyone for all the info on the EB Stimulus, I had been researching this for the past week. Many will be hurt by this decision but in the long run it saves our state. God Bless anyone job hunting.
Originally from Michigan, but love Florida. So I keep tabs on both states.
Mercy

Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

I strongly feel we were doing just fine until Nancy & Co took over considering 9-11, disasters and 2 wars, we were doing well.

Look at the records, the economy took a turn for the worse only after we ( you ) elected this group to run congress.

I have a BIL who is about to run out of unemployment and he is out painting houses and bought a trailer to haul his mower around to cut grass, he is not sitting on his butt waiting for the money to be handed to him, he is doing what people are suppose to do, take care of themselves!!

Less government and less spending is good, more government this massive spending is bad.

If we were so bad off then why did this nut spend 300,000.00 of our money on a photo op flying across country just to take a damn picture.

Oh I get it, he is the President who only made 4 million dollars last year personally and hates rich people. He forgets he is one of those rich people.

You are also right, this group of dems in congress had us running right into a depression.

So if we come out of this economic problem in time I would bet you and other will give him full credit for it wont you?

Wait until the new taxes he has proposed hits you, you budgets all just went to heck in a hurry. His energy tax will kill people in Florida who want to run the AC a lot. He wants to tax you for using your AC.

And yes I googled it, Obamas first 100 days are the worst measured of any President this century other then --- Bill Clinton.
I certainly hope this thinking is not indicative of the general thinking level of Floridians. I might have to rethink my forthcoming move to the Sunshine state.

Sunny Days--my recommendation to you is to turn the channel away from Fox News. You are so myopically uninformed that it's sad. It isn't even funny.

According to whom did you "google" to learn that Obama's first 100 days "are the worst measured since", gee, what a surprise, another Democratic president. How enlightening. By what measurement could such a decision be rendered? According to "The Factor"?

I guess you've simply decided to ignore all logic and history. It's your right to live in ignorance. Feel free to tune out of politics while Obama and the newly elected fix all the messes of Bush/Cheney/Republican Congress. Which mess do we begin with? The economy cratered on Bush's watch, McCain quickly admitted he knew nothing about Economics but "the fundamentals of the economy are sound" and Sarah Palin was, well, shopping for clothes. That sounds like some solid leadership there.. Bush and Cheney *invested* 3Trillion of our tax money on useless warmongering. I guess you're happy giving a trillion tax dollars to "rebuild" Iraq and Afghanistan? That money's on Bush, not Obama. Bush's tax cuts trashed the gov't --nice job Bush's Dept of Homeland Security accomplished with that whole Katrina thing, eh? I guess it was a wise idea of Bush to hire a Horse marketer to become head of FEMA Great idea there.

I am hoping Florida's "blue state transition" is a permanent thing. I hope this entire thread is an anomaly....

Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,684 times
I hope this entire thread is an anomaly

Your moving from the Pacific Northwest to Florida???....LOL!...Oh booooy this should be good.

To think we are transitioning to a blue state is absurd. In Illinois I'm considered a right wing conservative. In Florida I'm a flaming liberal. It's the deep south my friend, don't let 1 election mislead you. If you're politics are left of moderate conservative you're unlikely to find happiness here. I personally love the place. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,431 times
Default Florida Stimulus Unemployment Extension

It passed.
From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Gov. Crist expected to sign jobless benefits extension
Up to 20 weeks of additional benefits would be paid to eligible Floridians laid off up to Dec. 27 this year, with benefits being paid through the week ending Jan. 2., 2010.
By Marcia Heroux Pounds | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
1:38 AM CDT, April 30, 2009
TALLAHASSEE - Florida Gov. Crist is expected to sign a bill that would extend unemployment benefits by up to 20 weeks for Florida's eligible unemployed residents.
The additional benefits would be paid to eligible Floridians laid off up until Dec. 27 this year, with benefits being paid through the week ending Jan. 2., 2010.
For those who have exhausted benefits, the bill would give retroactive extended benefits, as long as their benefit year did not end before Feb. 22.
The extended benefits, costing an estimated $418 million, down from an estimated $777 million, would be paid for by the federal government via the economic stimulus package.
The legislation, which passed Wednesday, also provides some relief for Florida's unemployment insurance trust fund, which is expected to be in a deficit by August.
Employers will be taxed on an additional $1,500 of employees' wages for the next five years to help replenish the fund.
"It helps extends the benefits and it uses federal dollars. It's a win-win for Florida and those on unemployment," Sterling Ivey, the governor's press secretary, said Wednesday.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,180 times
Here is the latest info... I posted the link on the bottom to read the entire posting.

More than $1.5 billion in federal stimulus funds are flowing into our state to assist unemployed Floridians,” said
Agency Interim Director Cynthia Lorenzo. “These funds are providing enhanced unemployment compensation
benefits and expanding job placement and job training programs to help bolster the economic recovery of
Florida’s families.”
The Agency also has available nearly $1.4 billion in federal stimulus funds for Florida’s unemployment
compensation program including increased benefits for unemployment compensation recipients. Payments of
an additional $25 weekly in Federal Additional Compensation were initiated on March 19, 2009. To date, $55
million in Federal Additional Compensation has been paid to Florida’s recipients. For more information about
Florida’s use of the federal recovery dollars made available through the American Recovery and Reinvestment
Act of 2009, please visit
www.FlaRecovery.com
http://www.floridajobs.org/publicati...2004-17-09.pdf

Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
I hope this entire thread is an anomaly

Your moving from the Pacific Northwest to Florida???....LOL!...Oh booooy this should be good.

To think we are transitioning to a blue state is absurd. In Illinois I'm considered a right wing conservative. In Florida I'm a flaming liberal. It's the deep south my friend, don't let 1 election mislead you. If you're politics are left of moderate conservative you're unlikely to find happiness here. I personally love the place. Good luck.
Florida ain't Texas. I'm not claiming that Florida will all of a sudden become the next Vermont. I wouldn't want that either. Moderate/Neutral works for me. Oh, by the way, I plan to relocate within Congresswoman Wasserman-Schultz's district She's smart and hot--that works for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida