Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:13 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times

Advertisements

Riveree- that is true, but S Florida is at crisis level now, IMO it is indicative at what will happen in other overpriced areas in the future. I didnt even realize the SOH legislature and how that screwed up people with their property tax issues in Florida.

Are you saying to just accept expendability? Thats not an option if someone has children, buys a house in S Florida, has a mortgage of 600k (the median).

Legislation needs to be enacted (as many have noted) but it seems to be too late.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 12:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Riveree- that is true, but S Florida is at crisis level now, IMO it is indicative at what will happen in other overpriced areas in the future. I didnt even realize the SOH legislature and how that screwed up people with their property tax issues in Florida.

Are you saying to just accept expendability? Thats not an option if someone has children, buys a house in S Florida, has a mortgage of 600k (the median).

Legislation needs to be enacted (as many have noted) but it seems to be too late.

sunny
South Florida does seem to be experiencing a crisis, I imagine there are high paying jobs for some, but certainly there seems to be a serious issue for most of the working population there in finding decent pay. I don't think what is going on in S. Florida is indicative of the entire state though.

Since the original question was 'where are the jobs...how bad is the job market in Florida?', I think it really does depend on what part of Florida someone is looking to move to, or, what industry they intend to work in. For most people moving to Florida, there may be some very good reasons to avoid S. Florida at this current time.

Even though I am in North Florida, I am very concerned over what is going on in S. Florida, property taxes especially and the SOH as you stated.

As for "accepting expendability", well, what choice do we have other than to accept the reality of it?

If someone, as you stated, has children, and buys a $600k house in S. Florida...well, sorry, but their employer really doesn't owe them the promise of a life-long career with the company. Those days are over. Call it the byproduct of capitalism or whatever, call it !*$!*@! , it is what it is.

I think a lot of what we see as "Florida problems" are really problems all over the US. Jumping around from New York to North Carolina to Florida and then back to New York again isn't going to solve some of the bigger issues we are facing. We need to turn to the current and future administration and demand some accountability and resolution on their part....and even then it won't be perfect...hey, life is a struggle, right?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM

88 posts, read 263,809 times
sunnyhelena and hockeymom72,
People don't believe me that I'm unable to get a job since I have a paralegal
degree. But that's people up north...where you CAN get a decent job-still...they do actually call you back, are courteous to you, look forward to interviewing you, and you actually will get a call back. Click your heels Dorothy you're not in Orlando anymore. Halleleuah!!! This place is dysfunctional to say the least.
Thanks for your input. I went to college to make more money...duh. Moonbeam

Old 08-20-2007, 02:43 PM

130 posts, read 595,680 times
NW Florida: (this is from my own experience, and what I see my friends doing, other experiences may vary)

1. Healthcare (three major hospitals, all raking it in, and expanding like mad, one of which is a Malcolm Baldridge Award winner, and is consistently listed in Fortune as one of the best companies to work for.)
2. DoD/Defense (largest AFB in the world, TON's of technology related jobs)
3. Technology (software development, vertical market applications)
4. did I happen to mention healthcare? lol.
5. Real Estate. Not the enduser/homeowner side, or even the broker/realtor side.. the Owner/Landlord side. We are "fully rented" and recently sold a large multi-unit, almost at full market price, no negotiations, and the new owner will STILL be able to generate positive cash flow even w. the increased value of the property, increased property taxes and increased insurance premiums. It was win/win/win.

I work in defense.

Respectfully yours,

=S

Old 08-20-2007, 03:37 PM

272 posts, read 1,526,172 times
I work in defense too. I'm a software engineer with a masters degree and a security clearance so I have a high tech job with a defense contractor. Right now, business is good. I could easily find another job in my field. I go back and forth between the panhandle and the Tampa area. A few years here, a few years there. My salary is in the top 10% of Florida. I'm not bragging, that's just where it is. The only reason I do well here is because of my education and the field that I'm in. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have a comfortable middle class life in Florida if I didn't have a high paying, in-demand job. I don't know how some people get by here.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM

130 posts, read 595,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
I work in defense too. I'm a software engineer with a masters degree and a security clearance so I have a high tech job with a defense contractor. Right now, business is good. I could easily find another job in my field. I go back and forth between the panhandle and the Tampa area. A few years here, a few years there. My salary is in the top 10% of Florida. I'm not bragging, that's just where it is. The only reason I do well here is because of my education and the field that I'm in. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have a comfortable middle class life in Florida if I didn't have a high paying, in-demand job. I don't know how some people get by here.

Agreed. Unless you are a professional in your field, or are in a high demand trade, I can't see it either, YET, is it not always this way, no matter WHERE you live?

Service industry jobs. The only "real/livable" income, is in Management.

We need more clean industry manufacturing jobs, like chip fabrication, software engineering, alternative energy fuel production (and the industrial equipment that surrounds it).

Heck, I even have friends who work in the nuclear power industry (repair, maintenance, equipment upgrades, etc) and business is booming globally. Look at France & China for nuclear, and biofuel for Brazil.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM

88 posts, read 263,809 times
Default Own your own business? Done that too...too much cheap labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dadark View Post
There are alot of opportunities in Fla. I don't know why there are so many whiners about that. There are so many sucky businesses, if you open your own and have a good work ethic, you will have to beat customers off with a stick.

Pest control is a good one. But licencing is the problem. You've got alot of hurdles as pest control is strict to start your own. But working for others in that field is wide open. There is around 3% unemployment in the area I live in. That was always a great number where I come from. NEPA..

There is almost no work ethic down here.
Self-employment. I've done that too! Now that's not even good enough anymore because of the real estate market going belly-up. I'm in CRISIS MODE. I have worked everywhere and for myself (I'm full of a great work ethic) which is the last savior and now that's not working either. I'm not getting any calls on my ad, first time ever. I'm really scared.
The domino effect is in full-swing in Florida. Real estate top producers are out looking for jobs and going into foreclosure. I interviewed the other day for $350.00 a week BUT I TAKE OUT MY OWN TAXES.
Every single job has some cheap stipulation with it. It's either in "Timbuktu" which means traffic, a dirty word in this town or hardly any money, no benefits anymore either. I no lie, have submitted over 40 resumes by fax or online. The employers tell me how many resumes they get for the jobs. Overwhelming amount, bottom line.
I've applied for food stamps and you can't even get through on the phone to do an interview. It took me 2.5 weeks of calling in and complaining to Tampa which they've cut jobs too recently-DCF. Now you can't even talk to a human being in Tampa any longer.
Too many people coming here to suck off the welfare system, taking jobs, and getting food stamps. This state is in crisis mode I don't care what the MEDIA, the president, Workforce Central (been there and they didn't help me at all, just a smoke screen as I see it), Money Magazine says. It's B.S. I'm living this life.
Besides Florida will squeeze it all out of you for having your own business. All the requirements, licensing, insurance, don't forget about taking tests Florida's big on that one aka another HURDLE, etc. They make it hard for you, believe me. I come from carpenters in the union family so it's been a discussion and they wouldn't do it in Florida. If you're not outraged than you're not paying attention. Once again, moonbeam.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 PM

39 posts, read 189,437 times
Oh my, Moonbeam, how right you are. My hubby's insurance doesn't start for six months, and is not that good. We make too much to have KidCare for our children but not enough to buy our own. He works in aluminum and it is going downhill fast. Things would be much better if we were in the healthcare or technology field here in Orlando.

So we're going to suck it up and move to his hometown of ChicagoLand where he'll be working for the Union. We are really going to miss the weather and family, but will fare much better up north, and then we can move back when we're older. Right now our priority is to put food on the table and live somewhat comfortably. Financial piece of mind is underrated!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 PM

65 posts, read 247,549 times
Default what work

I'm in constrution managment and I'll tell you they are in a stand still here. T There a little hesitent on hiring out of staters because some are leaving because they don't like it here. Now is really not the time to move to Florida if you think your going to land a job off the street. They started me out 15 K less a year than upstate and I was told it's cheaper down here than there and they were wrong. It's just as much if not more to live down here than up there. I like Florida but it takes time to get used to it. When it starts to boom again then that's the time to make the move.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,884,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtjss View Post
I'm in constrution managment and I'll tell you they are in a stand still here. T There a little hesitent on hiring out of staters because some are leaving because they don't like it here. Now is really not the time to move to Florida if you think your going to land a job off the street. They started me out 15 K less a year than upstate and I was told it's cheaper down here than there and they were wrong. It's just as much if not more to live down here than up there. I like Florida but it takes time to get used to it. When it starts to boom again then that's the time to make the move.
[quote] When it starts to boom again then that's the time to make the move.
The bad news is the last time Florida had a boom like this was 1924. We had up's and down's but never like the last few years.

Many Floridians wondered if Florida would ever see again such wonderful and confident times as the Florida Land Boom in the 1920's and yes we did in 2004.

There was plenty of evidence that the Florida Land Boom was on swampy ground. Forbes magazine warned that Florida land prices were based solely upon the expectation of finding a customer, not upon any reality of land value. New York bankers, losing money over Florida investment, attacked the entire operation as one great sham. By 1925, there were other signs. Companies were laying off construction and other blue collar workers while the number of realtors and auto mechanics was still increasing.

Jacksonville, the state's main entrance way, outgrew its facilities, but became leery of financing services for people heading further southward. On the surface, the Land Boom seemed on track. In 1924 enough lumber arrived in Florida to encircle the equator with an eight foot boardwalk. But careful city managers were wondering if their town's had overextended their credit to construct roads and sewers for people who would never settle in their towns

http://www.floridahistory.org/floridians/1920's.htm

Last edited by firemed; 08-21-2007 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida