Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
They remember the Civil War down here in the Panhandle. I'm a Yankee who forgot the relevance of the war and didn't know there was even an issue today, I learned.

South Walton County, Florida will be very well known, anytime now.
Is this a prediction or a warning of some sort? Sounds pretty sinister when taken in conjunction with the prior statements about the Civil War, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:18 PM

267 posts, read 1,118,572 times
I travel to the panhandle a few times of year as we have relatives there.

I would describe it as very conservative, republican and fundamentalist. Depending on your perspective, that could be a good thing or not.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times
First of all there is no comparison whatsoever.

As an avid beach goer and one who has been on almost every known beach from Maine to Florida and Washington State to San Diego there is not comparison to the beaches.

I guess other then they are both beautiful!

NC Coastline is pretty and quiet and historical but as far as the actual beach and ocean its does not compare to any beach on the Florida panhandle.

The Florida panhandle beaches are the best beaches in America in my opinion. Soft white sand and beautiful clear blue/green water!

There is no way any beach along the NC coastline can compare as far as the beach is concerned.

NC has some pretty towns, quiet and relaxing but so does the panhandle.

No matter what anyone says about the panhandle it is in no way what people make it out to be, I feel extremely welcome and safe in the panhandle when we are there and never one single time heard a single word about what is being posted above.

I think it is those who cannot stand the fact it is very conservative ( a good thing for me! ) and they have to find ways to down it for some reason.

Anyway, both have something to offer a beach person but as I stated no way do they compare as far as sand and ocean, not even close.

In fact no ocean side beach from Maine to the Keys compares to the panhandle at all. Sure they have ore waves but you cannot see you feet in the water in 99% of it and in the panhandle you can stand head tall in the water and see your feet!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 AM

478 posts, read 1,319,434 times
I agree, the panhandle is beautiful; and I do find the water to be prettier than the NC beaches. I think most would agree. The question is also about the people though and the differences in the people and how friendly they are, etc...

Old 04-19-2009, 03:21 PM

267 posts, read 1,118,572 times
The real downsides to the panhandle from my perspective, are mostly those common to rural USA anywhere. If you like Small town USA, it will be fine. What I miss when I go there is decent restaurants. Aside from the chain places there isn't much and forget ethnic dining options besides mediocre strip-mall Chinese food and Mexican food that has been run through a blander so as not to offend anyone with any spice.

Weather-wise, it's plenty hot in the summer and unpleasantly cold in the winter. The entire northern end of the Gulf of Mexico seems to be a massive funnel for hurricanes.

I live on the Gulf side of Florida, but I prefer the Atlantic side because I miss the surf.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:03 PM

478 posts, read 1,319,434 times
If someone is interested in the NC coast or the FL panhandle, then Small Town USA is probably what they are looking for. Or atleast that would be my guess any way. If you are looking to get out of Small Town USA, then obviously these 2 places wouldnt be for them.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:22 PM

13,256 posts, read 22,657,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
The real downsides to the panhandle from my perspective, are mostly those common to rural USA anywhere. If you like Small town USA, it will be fine. What I miss when I go there is decent restaurants. Aside from the chain places there isn't much and forget ethnic dining options besides mediocre strip-mall Chinese food and Mexican food that has been run through a blander so as not to offend anyone with any spice.
I'm kind of boggling that someone would describe the Panhandle as lacking in decent restaurants. Sure the rural areas lean towards Cracker Barrel but the area between Ft. Walton Beach and about Inlet Beach has some damn good dining at prices that are very reasonable compared to bigger cities. I'll agree that the area lacks decent Chinese food but the local Thai community more than makes up for it in the take out Asian restaurant category, and there are additionally good Korean, and Vietnamese restaurants and a half dozen designated Japanese restaurants as well as any number of general seafood restaurants that also make sushi. (Which tastes quite good in the middle of summer humisery) You've got a significant cajun/creole influence that ranges from an outpost of Commander's Palace to lunch counter jambalaya. Any number of good local places to get different types of pizza. When the Mexicans came to help build after Ivan in 2004, the taqueritas weren't far behind and have stayed even when the Mexicans moved on to New Orleans. Multiple well-regarded French restaurants ranging from white tablecloth to bakery and sandwich takeout. And of course, any number of restaurants doing all kinds of cool things to locally caught fish, prepared both fancy and simply.

I'm starting to get hungry now...

Old 04-19-2009, 06:03 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
If someone is interested in the NC coast or the FL panhandle, then Small Town USA is probably what they are looking for. Or atleast that would be my guess any way. If you are looking to get out of Small Town USA, then obviously these 2 places wouldnt be for them.
Yes, the NC coastline has many very small towns for sure.

Florida has some but Destin/FWB and Panama City is no longer considered small I did not think.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:09 PM

187 posts, read 947,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaterp View Post
Is this a prediction or a warning of some sort? Sounds pretty sinister when taken in conjunction with the prior statements about the Civil War, etc.
AAbsolute might ring like a conspiracy theorist, but worry not. My comment about Northwest Florida is fundamental.

If you don't know JOE then you don't know Northwest Florida. Imagine a company with 680,000 acres in one area. A company who engineered the first new international airport in America since 9/11. JOE has big plans for Northwest Florida, but so would anyone who has all of their $2,000,000,000 riding on it. Northwest Florida has a deep water international customs port in Port St. Joe with more direct access to to mainland US than Tampa. Northwest Florida is the last relatively under developed frontier for Florida and somehow has the most beautiful beaches in the world by many accounts. Walton County and Bay County Florida are set to expand in every way for the next 30 years and JOE is making sure the whole world knows. Watch...
Attached Thumbnails
FLorida PANHANDLE versus Carolinas COASTLINE?-3004.jpg  

Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM

187 posts, read 947,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm kind of boggling that someone would describe the Panhandle as lacking in decent restaurants. Sure the rural areas lean towards Cracker Barrel but the area between Ft. Walton Beach and about Inlet Beach has some damn good dining at prices that are very reasonable compared to bigger cities. I'll agree that the area lacks decent Chinese food but the local Thai community more than makes up for it in the take out Asian restaurant category, and there are additionally good Korean, and Vietnamese restaurants and a half dozen designated Japanese restaurants as well as any number of general seafood restaurants that also make sushi. (Which tastes quite good in the middle of summer humisery) You've got a significant cajun/creole influence that ranges from an outpost of Commander's Palace to lunch counter jambalaya. Any number of good local places to get different types of pizza. When the Mexicans came to help build after Ivan in 2004, the taqueritas weren't far behind and have stayed even when the Mexicans moved on to New Orleans. Multiple well-regarded French restaurants ranging from white tablecloth to bakery and sandwich takeout. And of course, any number of restaurants doing all kinds of cool things to locally caught fish, prepared both fancy and simply.

I'm starting to get hungry now...
I think I know you from somewhere.... I'm glad it's time for dinner, Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida