Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 PM

478 posts, read 1,319,514 times

Advertisements

A PR male from NY, wow, you definitely want to check out Orlando then. There's more of you guys than anything in Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 AM

187 posts, read 947,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninob1213 View Post
yeah pretty much i'm a african american/puerto rican male of new york roots itching to be around more people that I have things in common with. So NY or S FL seems to be my go to places for a college transfer. Don't get it twisted though I love to meet people who are not like me just as long as they are intelligent and intriguing.
Then you enjoy my favorite day of the year, 2nd Sunday in June on 5th Avenue. I stay in Leona Helmsley's place to recharge a bit between Viva Puerto Rico's.
Attached Thumbnails
How "southern" is northern Florida?-20080609puertoricanrparade9.jpg  

Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 AM

^^^ I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. We have Calle Ocho in Orlando every year... No offense, but we are reminded everyday the influence that Puerto Rico has, especially in Orlando.

Last edited by Chrome Microphone; 04-28-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 AM

704 posts, read 1,863,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister85 View Post
I'm a 23-yo male and I plan on continuing my education somewhere in Florida, most likely in the north like Jacksonville, Gainesville, or Tallahassee. The thing is, being raised and having gone to college in various Mid-Atlantic states, currently I'm wary of moving to the South.

I know Florida, especially South Florida, is different, but I have a college friend in Florida who says the northern part of the state is still very much the "Deep South" like Mississippi and Alabama. It's fine for some people, but I wouldn't fit in very well as I'm not really religious and I'm far from the "good-ol'-boy" archetype.

I'm also concerned about dating. I know I'm working off of stereotypes here (nothing else to go on), but I hear lots of girls in the South tend to want to get married young, which is not even on my radar at this point!

Is this all the case even in larger towns with 100,000+ residents?

The sign at the border should read, "Welcome to Florida, **** rolls down hill."

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM

62 posts, read 252,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
Then you enjoy my favorite day of the year, 2nd Sunday in June on 5th Avenue. I stay in Leona Helmsley's place to recharge a bit between Viva Puerto Rico's.
I'm hitting the gym hard so I can have an excuse walk around like these guys lol. Oh and Chrome microphone Orlando is a cool place though I know some Nuyoricans are arrogant/cocky but what does that have to do with Orlando and Calle Ocho which is supposed to be for Cubanos in Miami? If i'm missing some thing here let me know.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM

268 posts, read 896,687 times
The complete truth about Gainesville: college kids, young unhappy married folks, retirees and rednecks period.... and if you're over 40, no kids, no married then be prepared for alcoholism or another form of drugs because you will be an alcoholic/drug addict eventually. My Old Man is an Alchy and I'm on my way if I don't make life changes right now.

If I'm not at the Gym or heavily medicated by 6PM.... I'm almost sobbing from depression.

Thanks to God, I am finally planning my escape after 43 years.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM

Are you in Gainesville or Daytona Bch.?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM

268 posts, read 896,687 times
Born/raised Gainesville and Daytona off and on. I know all north central Florida all my life....

Old 04-28-2009, 02:15 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,678,321 times
OMG-I can vouche for this! There are too many college kids-obviously 'cause UF is there-but as for the unhappy married, young couples-YES-I was one of them-we were living in the Keys and moved to G-ville 'cause my mom was gonna pay the last 4 months left on her lease for us and sub-let it out to us. We took the offer and actually ended up divorcing in G-ville. And I will tell you this-I met other married couples there that ended in divorce...(but divorce is everywhere, I think couple are just more likely to be unfaithful in a highly populated college town, with all those college kids...)
Funny enough I met many people in their 30's and 40's who were either alcoholics or drug addicts. It's sad but true. I know this is everywhere you go also, but it's obviously easy to get that stuff in that small town as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
The complete truth about Gainesville: college kids, young unhappy married folks, retirees and rednecks period.... and if you're over 40, no kids, no married then be prepared for alcoholism or another form of drugs because you will be an alcoholic/drug addict eventually. My Old Man is an Alchy and I'm on my way if I don't make life changes right now.

If I'm not at the Gym or heavily medicated by 6PM.... I'm almost sobbing from depression.
I am sorry to hear that you feel this way. No one should have to endure this. Why don't you make that change and move on from G-ville? What's holding you back, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks to God, I am finally planning my escape after 43 years.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 PM

187 posts, read 947,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
^^^ I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. We have Calle Ocho in Orlando every year... No offense, but we are reminded everyday the influence that Puerto Rico has, especially in Orlando.
Get with the program Shiny Mic. Puerto Rican's are o.k. and have as much, or more, right to be patriotic than us Irish with our St. Patrick's festivities.

Puerto Rico has a republican form of government,[26] subject to U.S. jurisdiction and sovereignty.[3] Its current powers are all delegated by the United States Congress and lack full protection under the United States Constitution. Puerto Rico's head of state is the President of the United States. The government of Puerto Rico, based on the formal republican system, is composed of three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. The executive branch is headed by the Governor, currently Mr. Luis Fortuño. The legislative branch consists of a bicameral Legislative Assembly made up of a Senate upper chamber and a House of Representatives lower chamber. The Senate is headed by the President of the Senate, while the House of Representatives is headed by the Speaker of the House. The judicial branch is headed by the Chief Justice of the Puerto Rico Supreme Court. The legal system is a mix of the civil law and the common law systems. The governor and legislators are elected by popular vote every four years. Members of the Judicial branch are appointed by the governor with the "advice and consent" of the Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida