Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM

613 posts, read 759,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
The dates below are official holidays observed by the State of Florida:

April 26th: Confederate Memorial Day

January 19th: Robert E. Lee's Birthday

June 3rd: President Jefferson Davis's Birthday

Most of the Southern States offer some observance of Jefferson Davis's Birth but only Florida and Alabama designate it as a State Holiday. And while Alabama joins Florida in their reverence, here in Florida it is also a legal, public holiday where many public offices are closed, as are schools and many businesses. Mississippi combines the holiday with Memorial Day in May.
Thank you for the information, and hopefully we can get Florida to stop celebrating those days very soon.
Instead of celebrating Bob Lee’s date of birth, we should be celebrating William Tecumseh Sherman’s date of birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I live in the alleged Southern part of north Florida and can't think of anyone who knows the Jefferson David holiday exists, much less shuts down a business or public office in honor of it.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Thank you for the information, and hopefully we can get Florida to stop celebrating those days very soon.
Instead of celebrating Bob Lee’s date of birth, we should be celebrating William Tecumseh Sherman’s date of birth.
How adult of you.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
The dates below are official holidays observed by the State of Florida:

April 26th: Confederate Memorial Day

January 19th: Robert E. Lee's Birthday

June 3rd: President Jefferson Davis's Birthday

Most of the Southern States offer some observance of Jefferson Davis's Birth but only Florida and Alabama designate it as a State Holiday. And while Alabama joins Florida in their reverence, here in Florida it is also a legal, public holiday where many public offices are closed, as are schools and many businesses. Mississippi combines the holiday with Memorial Day in May.
I'd love to see the source of your information regarding the state of Florida. I can find no authority showing those dates as official holidays observed by the state, whereas the Martin Luther King, Jr., day is.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM

613 posts, read 759,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How adult of you.

It may not be very adult, but I think it is important to remind the South that the North crushed them. The South needs to start celebrating winners like Bill Sherman instead of losers like Bob Lee.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
It may not be very adult, but I think it is important to remind the South that the North crushed them. The South needs to start celebrating winners like Bill Sherman instead of losers like Bob Lee.
And why is it "important"?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:20 AM

210 posts, read 665,171 times
It's not hard to find....If it was a snake it bite ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'd love to see the source of your information regarding the state of Florida. I can find no authority showing those dates as official holidays observed by the state, whereas the Martin Luther King, Jr., day is.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
haha...don't be silly. Sherman is the dirtiest word in Florida

Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I live in the alleged Southern part of north Florida and can't think of anyone who knows the Jefferson David holiday exists, much less shuts down a business or public office in honor of it.
hmmm you must not live in my neighborhood

Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 AM

Daddy, do we have to do like the Yankees one day...and move up North to die. My nephew asks his pops the other day....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida