Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM

109 posts, read 310,774 times

Advertisements

me i never said villages was bad . actually it very nice place . once i kick the bucket , maybe i go live there play indian music all nite , wake the old folks ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Vuckovich View Post
myself ? i be cherokee indian more 75 percentile of est tennessee , 5 th gen here . my great grandpa worked those dangerous Mines of NE Tenn ealry 19th century . dont even go there honey , keep ya panty hose on .
Big woo.
I'd be willing to bet you have never even been to The Villages.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM

109 posts, read 310,774 times
yep , never been IN THE Villages . like i stated it's nice place . my hope U all keep it that way .

Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM

210 posts, read 664,776 times
The Villages is a community of rootless individuals...mostly from the North, who remind me of some non-native plants that eventually destroy the native environment and indigenous plant populations...the Villages reminds me of Kudzu, at first it may have sounded like a good idea...but look at it now.

Below is a description of The Villages from Wikipedia:

"The Villages has been criticized by author Andrew D. Blechman in his book Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias. According to the Orlando Sentinel, "Blechman explains how Villages developer Gary Morse has maintained firm control over local decision-making in a community that sprawls across Lake, Sumter and Marion counties. . . . [The author] highlights the complex political and economic arrangements that gave rise to The Villages, and he asserts that few of its 65,000 or so residents understand, let alone oppose, the limitations on their civic power."

As Blechman told National Public Radio in March 2010, "Everything's owned by the developer. . . . The government is owned by the developer. Everything's privatized — and they're happy with that. You know, they've traded in the ballot box for the corporate suggestion box."

The Villages, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
The Villages is a community of rootless individuals...mostly from the North, who remind me of some non-native plants that eventually destroy the native environment and indigenous plant populations...the Villages reminds me of Kudzu, at first it may have sounded like a good idea...but look at it now.

Below is a description of The Villages from Wikipedia:

"The Villages has been criticized by author Andrew D. Blechman in his book Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias. According to the Orlando Sentinel, "Blechman explains how Villages developer Gary Morse has maintained firm control over local decision-making in a community that sprawls across Lake, Sumter and Marion counties. . . . [The author] highlights the complex political and economic arrangements that gave rise to The Villages, and he asserts that few of its 65,000 or so residents understand, let alone oppose, the limitations on their civic power."

As Blechman told National Public Radio in March 2010, "Everything's owned by the developer. . . . The government is owned by the developer. Everything's privatized — and they're happy with that. You know, they've traded in the ballot box for the corporate suggestion box."

The Villages, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
for once, I cannot argue with you.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Default Confederate Memorial Day in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'd love to see the source of your information regarding the state of Florida. I can find no authority showing those dates as official holidays observed by the state, whereas the Martin Luther King, Jr., day is.

Here you go.......................hope everyone had a mindful Confederate Memorial Day last week and payed respect to the founders and pioneers of the Great State of Florida...the only men who ever had to defend their own state soil from enemy attack. My bank was closed in observance of the holiday and appreciate that as I do all other businesses that chose to close last week.

The 2011 Florida Statutes

Title XXXIX
COMMERCIAL RELATIONS
Chapter 683
LEGAL HOLIDAYS; SPECIAL OBSERVANCES
View Entire Chapter
683.01 Legal holidays.—
(1) The legal holidays, which are also public holidays, are the following:
(a) Sunday, the first day of each week.
(b) New Year’s Day, January 1.
(c) Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., January 15.
(d) Birthday of Robert E. Lee, January 19.
(e) Lincoln’s Birthday, February 12.
(f) Susan B. Anthony’s Birthday, February 15.
(g) Washington’s Birthday, the third Monday in February.
(h) Good Friday.
(i) Pascua Florida Day, April 2.
(j) Confederate Memorial Day, April 26.
(k) Memorial Day, the last Monday in May.
(l) Birthday of Jefferson Davis, June 3.
(m) Flag Day, June 14.
(n) Independence Day, July 4.
(o) Labor Day, the first Monday in September.
(p) Columbus Day and Farmers’ Day, the second Monday in October.
(q) Veterans’ Day, November 11.
(r) General Election Day.
(s) Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November.
(t) Christmas Day, December 25.
(u) Shrove Tuesday, sometimes also known as “Mardi Gras,” in counties where carnival associations are organized for the purpose of celebrating the same.
(2) Whenever any legal holiday shall fall upon a Sunday, the Monday next following shall be deemed a public holiday for all and any of the purposes aforesaid.
History.—RS 2315, 2316; s. 1, ch. 4198, 1893; s. 1, ch. 4487, 1895; s. 1, ch. 4488, 1895; s. 1, ch. 5275, 1903; s. 1, ch. 5392, 1905; GS 3102; s. 1, ch. 6872, 1915; RGS 4846; CGL 6932; s. 1, ch. 16067, 1933; s. 1, ch. 20250, 1941; s. 1, ch. 20525, 1941; s. 1, ch. 22610, 1945; s. 1, ch. 29926, 1955; s. 1, ch. 69-24; s. 1, ch. 73-44; s. 1, ch. 75-158; s. 1, ch. 77-423; s. 1, ch. 78-30; s. 1, ch. 78-298; s. 1, ch. 90-59.

Below is The Flag of Northern Virginia Flying above the Florida State Capitol in 1963.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM

"Little Miss Dixie" and "Miss Merry Christmas" in Citrus County 2010

http://kntevents.com/images/miss%20and%20mr%20merry%20christmas%2009%20tampa%2 065.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM

We use to shop at the "Jitney Jungle"....we still got "The Pig", we got all the waffle houses you can handle, up here its Kryspy Kreem and not Dunk-in Donuts, Krystal and not New Castle(Northern version), use to have Chandlers and Sambo's, we still got a few Whataburgers and Maryland Fried Chickens....but now its more and more Zaxbys, McAlester's and Chick-Filet, we got Nascar, Wrastlin, Mud Bogs, Tractor pulls, cotton fields, rope swings, field parties, Southern sorority girls, Southern gentlemen, Preservation Societies, Daughters of the Confederacy, everybody fishes seems like...either salt or fresh or both, we got cheese grits, hush puppies, syrup sweet tea, tones of billbords about Jesus Lovin you and savin you, we still have some "Dry Counties" believe it or not, others don't sell liquor by the drink, we got historically black colleges and historically segregated colleges, we got road crews from the jail cuttin grass in their black and white strips along country roads, we got a lot of old black men fishin from bridges, we got a lot of barefoot kids tubbin under them bridges, we got the redneck riviera, we have people who still are die-hard conservatives but wont vote Republican if their life depended on it, we brought Kudzu to this country...in retrospect we wonder, This is God and Gun Country, lots of Baptist churches, we just had someone get arrested for runnin shine again, we got red clay roads, live oak canopy roads, lots of restored plantation homes, old courthouse squares, we got lots of FRMs( Flint RIver Mills Stores) and Jet Peps, we got All night Gospel sings like in Bonifay, we have a parade and a beauty pageant probably at least twice a month, Civil War Reenactments, blooming azaleas and magnolias, pines, live oaks and gray moss, we got black water rivers...one pretty famous "Suwannee River" also happens to be our state song, we got the birthplace of "Southern Rock"..place called Jacksonville Florida...home to Lynard Skynard and many other greats, we got lots of orange groves and a ton of snakes and mosquitoes...fire ants too, we got another religion called Football and Football is where the crazed fans are here..hockey who? Unfortunately, we still got the Klan though hadn't seen them do much lately, we got train tracks still segregating many areas

Jitney Jungle in Tallahassee

"The Pig" in St. Joe

Last edited by NativeFloridan; 05-01-2012 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Darn it, we're supposed to get Mardi Gras here according to state statute. Meanwhile, we can't even get Columbus Day or President's Day off.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Darn it, we're supposed to get Mardi Gras here according to state statute. Meanwhile, we can't even get Columbus Day or President's Day off.

I feel your pain.....but I guess that says something too about our roots too...we are certainly tied very closely to the rest of the Gulf South in tradition and heritage. I was talkin with someone the other day and they were surprised to hear how Mobile held the first Mardi Gras before New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida