Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:34 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

Also, a lot of immigrants end up on the coasts when they emigrate to America...they don't usually head out to the prairies

Please, go to Chicago. For that matter Illinois in general. I moved there in 2002 from Massachusetts and I was knocked off my socks by all the Mexicans. Not that there's anything wrong with this. I just didn't expect to see so many immigrants in the midwest.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 AM

238 posts, read 227,862 times
Default Moving to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd01 View Post
Come on up! Moving to NC was a great move for us. Everyone is so friendly here. What area are you considering?

All of my friends down there had either moved, were moving, or wanted to get out. I feel for those down there that want out but can't sell their houses or find jobs elsewhere.
What part of NC did you move to? What kind of jobs are there?

Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 AM

11 posts, read 29,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen beach gal View Post
Cj10-you also lived in Virginia?? What area? My parents live in Goochland,right outside of Richmond (nice area) they would love for us to come there, my son is their only grandchild From the little research i've done the schools seem pretty good (definetly better than here in eastern carolina). Still leaning towards going back to Florida-hope everything works out for you. Really interested in knowing what area of Virginia you lived in though.
I lived in Richmond, Chesterfield and King William. I had a friend that lived in Goochland, it is a very nice area. I also have a friend that lives in Mechanicsville which is also really nice. As far as schools go I don't know, I do not have any children that are school age so I at least I don't have that as a concern. From what I've been reading schools are a top priority, as it should be for parents with school age children. My choice to live, in this great country, is Florida.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Please, go to Chicago. For that matter Illinois in general. I moved there in 2002 from Massachusetts and I was knocked off my socks by all the Mexicans. Not that there's anything wrong with this. I just didn't expect to see so many immigrants in the midwest.

Sure, true enough. Chicago is a major city, so it will attract people from everywhere. When I said "prairies", I was mainly talking about the wide open states (Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska...). But yeah, even some of those prairie cities (Kansas City, for example) are growing in their diversity. The face of America is changing. It does still tend to happen in greater numbers on the coasts though.

I have Dominican friends from Chigago who now live in...you guessed it - Florida! Jacksonville, specifically.

Absolutely, as you said, 'not that there's anything wrong with this'. This is what America was built on, right? If not for immigrants, hardly any of us would be here in America today talking on this forum.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,475 times
Smile I was pushed for same reasons

I lived in Ocala for 15 years.Both my wife and myself are career profeesionals.My wife has a degree in business and I am a certified automotive technician with Honda.Could not make a living,I would bounce from job to job,working conditions in Marion county are horrible.school system is worse,and there really isnt a strong economy.A year and half ago I moved to charlottesville VA,my wife has been promoted three times within six months, each came with a salary increase,and I went from roller coaster paychecks to about a steady 900 dollars a week.Should make a combined income of about 85,000 next year.Our high in Florida was 36,000.Unless your retired or a tourist stay out of florida.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
You're right. My neighboring Iowa is also having problems. And the fortune tellers said they'd never cross the Mason/Dixon line.

Muzak, I'm sorry to hear that. I've gotta tell you that we haven't moved to Fla. yet and it's already looking like we're pushed out.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:52 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd01 View Post
Hi, I just found this board and I was wondering about this. Has anyone else here had to give up their homes in FL and move elsewhere due to the skyrocketing cost of living?

I was born in '74 and moved to a place just outside of West Palm Beach with my family in '88 after living in North Carolina. We loved it in FL, I went to the University of Florida, majored in Business Administration, got a good job and stayed with it until last year (of and in the middle of that time period I got married and had two kids!). I recieved a couple of promotions, and the pay increased a little, but the pay increase was NOTHING compared to the cost of living increase over the past few years. House insurance skyrocketed, electricity costs went up, gasoline and grocery prices went through the ceiling (gas went up everywhere, but was pretty high here), and so on. We couldn't afford it anymore. My parents were retiring and facing the same thing. The schools weren't great quality, they were crowded and it was just not working. It really pained me to leave Florida after almost 20 years but had to think logically and for the long term. Others were being hit the same way, when we left there were like 8 or 9 houses on our street for sale, many haven't sold to this very day! Both of our next-door neighbors were selling too for the same reasons. In May 2006 I found a job in Raleigh NC, the pay was HIGHER than in FL, the cost of living was a lot cheaper, so we put the house up for sale, sold it in about five months, made a decent little profit and now we're doing great. It's nice having four seasons, the winter here's not really that bad, maybe a snowfall once or twice every winter. FL is a great place, but to be honest, I don't really miss the HOT summers, mosquitoes, crowded feel in areas, etc. It pained us to leave, it's hard for a while adjusting to the climate, atmosphere, etc of a new place but after while we got used to it and love NC. We have the mountains at one end, beach at the other, good schools, great restaurants and shopping. My parents are trying to sell their place and move up here also, but aren't in as big of a rush.

So, excuse my rambling...if any of you have had to leave Florida for the same reason (or something other), where'd you go? Any stories to share??
Well, pretty much the same story here too...
We came to FL from PA in 2004, and had some high hopes. We got a beautiful house, jobes and made wonderful friends.
Then then the 2 hurricanes greeted us, back to back. Damage on the house, not getting contractors out, supplies short....weeks without pay (since our employers had to repair damages as well), loss of income for several weeks,
taxes went up, HOI went up causing our mortgage payment to go up $300 + dollars a month.
Well, we still made the same wages though....
So, we HAD to sell, to get out, before we ruined our credit score with a forclosed home. (It came pretty close, BTW)
We just made it in the nick of time, and a huge burden has been lifted off our shoulders.
We are currently here in PA, but moving down to NC, hopefully within the upcoming months.
I loved FL (my husband hates it), but, I can't afford to live there.
I definately will come back to visit my dear friends..... That's pretty much all I miss right now.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:44 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
how could your wife have a degree in biz, and you be an auto mechanic with honda and make just 36k combined?

so you are saying that you both worked a 40 hr week, making $692/wk combined? in that case, you each avg'd $346/wk, at $8.65 an hr? seems kind of hard to believe, and then by moving to va it is going to increase to 85k?

Old 06-02-2007, 09:17 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
how could your wife have a degree in biz, and you be an auto mechanic with honda and make just 36k combined?

so you are saying that you both worked a 40 hr week, making $692/wk combined? in that case, you each avg'd $346/wk, at $8.65 an hr? seems kind of hard to believe, and then by moving to va it is going to increase to 85k?
My husband just got offered his old job back (in MA) and I got offered 2 jobs up north (in MA also.) We would be making close to $100,000 a year. We are making less than $35,000 a year here. We have been looking for good jobs for over 2 and 1/2 years now in FL. It is also a more expensive COL here in FL than MA was for us.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 AM

262 posts, read 937,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I loved FL... but, I can't afford to live there.
My husband and I have lived here for 30+ years, came here as a teen and fell in love with it. He's lived here since childhood and loves it too.

We are being forced out. My husband is looking for a job teaching, but Pinellas is on the verge of closing public schools. He can't find a job.

Why? Because the working families are all leaving by the truckload! All being priced out.

No working families = no kids = public schools closing!

Meanwhile, property tax and homeowners insurance goes up-up-up - it's a disgusting disgrace, costs are skyrocketing and it looks as if the only ones who will be able to live in Pinellas will be the rich in their McMansions and their HOAs and that seems to be exactly what this county wants!!!!

I'll tell ya one thing - when all the working people have gone, I don't want to hear one bit of whining by the rich when they suddenly have no one to clean their pool, fix their plumbing, mow their yard, or police their streets.

FL is the only place we want to live - the things that are important to us are nowhere else - but we are being forced away from the only home we love. Can't believe this is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida