Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM

56 posts, read 263,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I absolutely can't stand marijuana. I think it's very addictive and bad for your lungs. We have enough problems with cigarettes, thank you.

Are you aware of the basic differences between the two?

First, marijuana smoke causes dilation of the lungs, cigarettes cause constriction. After decades of smoking marijuana (paid for by our tax dollars) Irvin Rosenfeld shows a 108% lung capacity.

Second, marijuana contains no addictive properties. It is as addictive as television. We all know that tobacco is contrary to this. But if people have the choice of cigarettes, why not offer them the safer alternative?

Third, marijuana has never been linked to a single case of lung cancer.. or death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
My 78 YO mother told me about this. She is getting petitions signed in her neighborhood!
That's awesome!! Make sure she mails them in so we can verify them and count them!! She should also contact her representatives and let them know how she feels about this!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,902 times
Question Petition Help

I live here in the Panhandle and want to know how to go about adding names to the petition to help allow medical marijuana.

Surely, I don't just go around with a clip board and ask people to sign. I imagine there is a more legitimate way of doing things.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 AM

317 posts, read 772,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gieseghj View Post
Are you aware of the basic differences between the two?

First, marijuana smoke causes dilation of the lungs, cigarettes cause constriction. After decades of smoking marijuana (paid for by our tax dollars) Irvin Rosenfeld shows a 108% lung capacity.

Second, marijuana contains no addictive properties. It is as addictive as television. We all know that tobacco is contrary to this. But if people have the choice of cigarettes, why not offer them the safer alternative?

Third, marijuana has never been linked to a single case of lung cancer.. or death.
I don't believe the last part - while there may be no deaths directly linked to smoking marijuana, I don't believe that it isn't a factor in a lot of accidental deaths.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
I don't believe the last part - while there may be no deaths directly linked to smoking marijuana, I don't believe that it isn't a factor in a lot of accidental deaths.
Even the NHTSA reports that marijuana only drivers have a lower accident rate than sober drivers.

Marijuana tends to make people more alert when doing dangerous tasks. Or it gives them paranoia and tells them not to do something that could hurt them.

When it starts showing up on the record books for causing accidental deaths I will be sure to announce that, because even then the numbers will be lower than say.. deaths from caffeine.. or soda machines.. or coconuts.. etc

Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeardFantastic View Post
I live here in the Panhandle and want to know how to go about adding names to the petition to help allow medical marijuana.

Surely, I don't just go around with a clip board and ask people to sign. I imagine there is a more legitimate way of doing things.
Feel free to email me with any questions at gieseghj@gmail.com.

The official petition can be downloaded from PUFMM.org and as a volunteer you can get registered voters to sign it without any other steps. Please refer to the resources section on the website as well.

Joshua Giesegh
Campaign Manager
People United For Medical Marijuana

Old 10-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gieseghj View Post
Even the NHTSA reports that marijuana only drivers have a lower accident rate than sober drivers.

Marijuana tends to make people more alert when doing dangerous tasks. Or it gives them paranoia and tells them not to do something that could hurt them.

When it starts showing up on the record books for causing accidental deaths I will be sure to announce that, because even then the numbers will be lower than say.. deaths from caffeine.. or soda machines.. or coconuts.. etc
Well, all I know is that I smoked a lot of pot in college and it definitely didn't make me more alert nor did it keep me from doing many things that I shouldn't.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:03 PM

455 posts, read 979,148 times
This is not a debate about recreational MJ use, this is a debate about the DECRIMINALIZATION of Marijuana for compassionate reasons. I guess it's more acceptable for doctors to keep chronic pain sufferers strung out on highly addictive Opiates than it is to allow them access to MJ?

Did you know that there are many diseases/conditions which have been proven to be reversed or even cured by cannabinoids? Marinol (the prescribed extract) does not contain these cannabinoids.

My brother is DYING from a disease called Myelofibrosis. His bone marrow is being replaced by fibrous tissue. His Liver and Spleen are enlarged. He has constant, excruciating bone pain. He is developing Leukemia.

He has been through one drug trial after another. None of us are a match for bone marrow. He manages his pain with the highly addictive Opiate, Vicoden. He lives in another narrow-minded "Red" state: Texas. Marijuana has been shown to relieve his type of pain without the addiction potential of Opiates. Cannibinoids have been show to REVERSE the fibrosis in the bone marrow.

The "Red" states of Texas and Florida and scores of others tell him he cannot have access to Medical Marijuana.

HOW DARE ANYONE DENY HIM ACCESS?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM

18 posts, read 110,790 times
In the words of the immortal Bob Marley- Legalize it! I just moved to this area and this thread is giving me some hope that there's life behind all the gated communities. It's been years since i've smoked, can't imagine ever doing it again, either. There was an article in New York magazine a few weeks ago on legalizing pot, and it said the liquor industry is spending tons of money on lobbyists to keep pot illegal. Also, the cops love it because it's an easy arrest, no violence or puking.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM

MrsTommy -

First of all, I didn't stay whether or not I am for or against the legalization of medical marijuana. You just assumed I am against it based on my disbelief that marijuana has never caused any sort of death. Regardless of gieseghj's response, I doubt very seriously the validity of it.

Secondly, from personal experience I find his explanation that marijuana users are more alert to be a little bit of an affront to what I know about marijuana use. While this is a debate about medical marijuana as opposed to recreational use, my experiences with pot are still valid for the point I was making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida