Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times

Advertisements

The petition has to be printed out two-sided and it is not clear where to return them once signed. Having been involved in ballot initiatives in the past, I think this will pose a problem. Hard enough to get the average person to sign a post card and send in, let alone print first page, put back in printer and print the second and then search for the return address. It's too bad that it couldn't be a single sheet, one-sided document, but there is a lot of content, so I understand the need for two pages.

With the news today, maybe it will help gain some momentum for Florida's initiative.

How many signatures have been collected so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Ever seen someone run out of pot? I don't care how many studies they come up with. Sure as heck looks addictive to me. I knew someone that quit drinking and doing coke, but couldn't quit smoking pot.

How smoking pot or anything else can make someone's lung capacity go up is beyond me. Or improve alertness. People that smoke it usually stay macramed to the sofa, blankly staring at the tv.

I think Mrs. Tommy is correct. This about legalizing marijuana. But if you feel that it is harmful then you are not for that.

Echobelly, Lee County is the home of the growhouse. You ought to go out and meet your neighbors. I have never met so many pot smokers in my life. And, yes, a lot of them are old.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 PM

455 posts, read 978,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
MrsTommy -

First of all, I didn't stay whether or not I am for or against the legalization of medical marijuana. You just assumed I am against it based on my disbelief that marijuana has never caused any sort of death. Regardless of gieseghj's response, I doubt very seriously the validity of it.

Secondly, from personal experience I find his explanation that marijuana users are more alert to be a little bit of an affront to what I know about marijuana use. While this is a debate about medical marijuana as opposed to recreational use, my experiences with pot are still valid for the point I was making.
If I was directing it at you, I would have quoted you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I also have some serious issues with his/her "facts" (also from personal experience..."this is your brain on drugs"). I have seen much more professional web sites with a lot more convincing arguments and scientific data than PUFMM's but their hearts are in the right place.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Ever seen someone run out of pot? I don't care how many studies they come up with. Sure as heck looks addictive to me. I knew someone that quit drinking and doing coke, but couldn't quit smoking pot.

How smoking pot or anything else can make someone's lung capacity go up is beyond me. Or improve alertness. People that smoke it usually stay macramed to the sofa, blankly staring at the tv.

I think Mrs. Tommy is correct. This about legalizing marijuana. But if you feel that it is harmful then you are not for that.

Echobelly, Lee County is the home of the growhouse. You ought to go out and meet your neighbors. I have never met so many pot smokers in my life. And, yes, a lot of them are old.
The issue is about decriminalizing, not legalizing. It is about decriminalizing the medicinal use of regulated marijuana for seriously ill individuals. My brother is dying, Tommy and I are really not concerned about whether or not it may have harmful effects.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gieseghj View Post
Even the NHTSA reports that marijuana only drivers have a lower accident rate than sober drivers.
Really where's the link? That's not what I read on their website. Talk about selective reading:

Effects on Driving: Epidemiology data from road traffic arrests and fatalities indicate that after alcohol, marijuana is the most frequently detected psychoactive substance among driving populations. Marijuana has been shown to impair performance on driving simulator tasks and on open and closed driving courses for up to approximately 3 hours. Decreased car handling performance, increased reaction times, impaired time and distance estimation, inability to maintain headway, lateral travel, subjective sleepiness, motor incoordination, and impaired sustained vigilance have all been reported. Some drivers may actually be able to improve performance for brief periods by overcompensating for self-perceived impairment. The greater the demands placed on the driver, however, the more critical the likely impairment. Marijuana may particularly impair monotonous and prolonged driving. Decision times to evaluate situations and determine appropriate responses increase.

Drugs and Human Performance FACT SHEETS - Cannabis / Marijuana ( D 9 -Tetrahydrocannabinol, THC)

Now I do agree with the decriminalization of medical marijuana or any other substance that can help seriously ill individuals like cancer or aids patients. I wished people understood the difference but it's always the recreational smokers that have the loudest voice, upset and scare the rest of the population, while the ill suffer and die in pain.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 AM

317 posts, read 772,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
If I was directing it at you, I would have quoted you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I also have some serious issues with his/her "facts" (also from personal experience..."this is your brain on drugs"). I have seen much more professional web sites with a lot more convincing arguments and scientific data than PUFMM's but their hearts are in the right place.
Sorry - I guess I am the ass now huh I just assumed you meant me since your first line stated it had nothing to do with recreational use and I had just mentioned something about smoking recreationally.

I do think their hearts are in the right place, also. I just also happen to think they are walking a very fine line. I do not know either way where I stand on this issue just yet - instinctually I say legalize it. I'd hate to be in that much pain and know that something out there that could help me is illegal. At the same time, I also think it can be harmful and that makes me nervous. What states have decriminalized marijuana for medicinal purposes??

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,438 times
once again, what difference does it make? for a start we will all have free healthcare pretty soon so we won't need medical mj. besides we as a people no longer have the resolve to want to be free. we've resigned ourselves to warrantless searches and detention without trial. all thanks to the bush administration. our current president wants to centralize control of all the media via net neutrality and the bailout of newspapers. rahm emmanual talks about mandatory national service and nobody baulks. someone in this thread mentioned that we can't even make up our own minds on drugs because we have international treaties. in december we'll get cap 'n trade which is an international treaty and we'll lose another piece of sovereignty. i can envisage a time where the state will tell you what you may or may not eat, how you get around, what work you'll do and you won't be able to utter a word of protest.

as far as i'm concerned the battle's been lost and orwell's nightmare is rapidly becoming reality!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
Sorry - I guess I am the ass now huh I just assumed you meant me since your first line stated it had nothing to do with recreational use and I had just mentioned something about smoking recreationally.

I do think their hearts are in the right place, also. I just also happen to think they are walking a very fine line. I do not know either way where I stand on this issue just yet - instinctually I say legalize it. I'd hate to be in that much pain and know that something out there that could help me is illegal. At the same time, I also think it can be harmful and that makes me nervous. What states have decriminalized marijuana for medicinal purposes??
I agree with the fine line statement. I have a teen and I know how lazy and stupid Weed makes you. I would hate to see her get involved in it. I also have my suspicions of organizations such as NORML getting involved. Somehow, a group that has been working for years to have MJ legalized, seems to be trying to piggyback their cause onto the more valid Compassionate Use movement.

My brother has always been straight as an arrow, former Law Enforcement, has his Master's Degree in Church Social Work and has been an ordained minister in the past. He's terrified of losing his home and even his child to Social Services. He's also got a very strong sense of "Right and Wrong". He's felt guilty about MJ, and has gone to every family member, seeking support. Even our Father, a retired, hard-nosed Cop has supported any decision he makes regarding use. He's approaching the fourth year of a five year life expectancy with this disease. I don't really think anybody who loves him is too concerned with the side effects of MJ use. If it eases the nausea of Chemo, helps him sleep at night or eases the pain in his bones, more power to him. If, by some miracle, the cannabinoids in MJ reverses his condition, it would truly be a gift from God.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 AM

317 posts, read 772,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
I agree with the fine line statement. I have a teen and I know how lazy and stupid Weed makes you. I would hate to see her get involved in it. I also have my suspicions of organizations such as NORML getting involved. Somehow, a group that has been working for years to have MJ legalized, seems to be trying to piggyback their cause onto the more valid Compassionate Use movement.

My brother has always been straight as an arrow, former Law Enforcement, has his Master's Degree in Church Social Work and has been an ordained minister in the past. He's terrified of losing his home and even his child to Social Services. He's also got a very strong sense of "Right and Wrong". He's felt guilty about MJ, and has gone to every family member, seeking support. Even our Father, a retired, hard-nosed Cop has supported any decision he makes regarding use. He's approaching the fourth year of a five year life expectancy with this disease. I don't really think anybody who loves him is too concerned with the side effects of MJ use. If it eases the nausea of Chemo, helps him sleep at night or eases the pain in his bones, more power to him. If, by some miracle, the cannabinoids in MJ reverses his condition, it would truly be a gift from God.
It's sad that your brother has to be afraid of losing his home and his child because of this

Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks Mamma...It's the tragic side of this issue. I wish the people so stridently anti MM would spend a few days in our shoes, then look a suffering loved one in they eye and tell them that they can't have something that might ease their suffering if not CURE them.

Most Americans are not aware that the criminalization of marijuana was first pushed in the thirties by Harry Anslinger, America's first "Drug Czar" who said; "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S. and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others." Anslinger also christened it with the name "Marijuana" in an attempt to stir anti-Hispanic prejudice. He also said; "...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races." I guess his agenda was pretty clear.

Anslinger was married to Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon's niece. Mellon just happened to be the person that appointed him to his job. Mellon was also chairman of Mellon Bank and DuPont's chief financial backer. The DuPonts didn't want competition for their new fabric: Nylon, which could not compete with Hemp for the rope business. DuPont had also patented a new process for wood-pulp paper and a new machine just invented for harvesting hemp would have cut into that business. W.R. Hearst was heavily involved in the effort to criminalize Marijuana because Hemp would have competed with his huge reserves of timber. DuPont and Hearst wanted Hemp GONE because it would have bankrupted them, not on any grand "moral" basis.

I went to the NHTSA site and all of the material quoted regarding MJ users being better drivers has been deleted (SURPRISE!!!) I did find this rather outdated research from the 70s and 80s on another site that quotes the same studies: Marijuana's Effects on Actual Driving Performance MJ was much much weaker back then. I seriously doubt the stuff on the street now makes anyone a safer driver. That being said, I think chances are slim that you will find a cancer or M.S. or Myelofibrosis patient behind the wheel, driving stoned.

Here's a list of states where MM is "legalized": http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/v...ourceID=000881

Last edited by MrsTommy; 10-20-2009 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida