Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 PM

478 posts, read 1,324,946 times

Advertisements

People in Asheville NC call it "Ashevegas" ... people in Hendersonville NC call it "Hendo" or "Hooterville." But in S FL, when you are talking about places like FTL, Sunrise, and Pembroke Pines, it's a totally different ball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
And the nicknames are all negative. Why not some positive nicknames for those areas? Although I could see where it'd be hard for Sunrise.

\
What, someone on the internet told you about a couple of blocks in Sunrise too?

Back on topic not too familiar with either but Sarasota would be my pick out of the two.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:15 PM

478 posts, read 1,324,946 times
A couple of blocks in Sunrise? No, I will take my father in law's comments to heart, as he used to work there. I dont need any other evidence.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I used to be friends with the police chief until he retired, and I will tell you that while some bad things happen there, the crime there is nothing unheard of to a city with over 100,000 people. The bad part is an area called "Deepside", east of University Dr and only a couple blocks of "Deepside" are actually in Sunrise. There are also a couple of ****ty apartments/condos off of University and a couple more off Sunset Strip, and the rest of it is mostly working class but fine. Lets respect the OP and continue the discussion through DM if you would like.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 PM

573 posts, read 2,441,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
LOL-it means Port St. Lucie, but it's a term that the kids came up with for PSL-the PIZZLE...lol

hehe, I had no idea posting the pizzle nickname would have this affect...we use it all the time just joking around, its better than Pt St Lousy! We used to call it that growing up and going to high school in the 90s because back then there was REALLY nothing to do but hang out on green river parkway on a weekend...but then they went ahead and made it a thru street and overbuilt that high school makeout spot too....I'm showing my age but I'm not ashamed. I'll be 29 FOREVER!!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Florida really has no great jobs now. Tampa, is big, however, there are many places outside Tampa.
Wesley Chapel, Land O lakes, and New Tampa. You need to also think the schools. Sarasota is maybe an hour and 15 minutes from wesley Chapel, and the school also are good. You might get a villa
in a foreclosed home for around 115.000 The paper around here is the Tampa Tribune, or TBO.com.
I have been here 10 years and have been downtown-maybe 4 times! There is not too much there, for me! Wesley Chapel, does now have some neat shopping places. The problem with a condo now is many are being foreclosed on. The problem they may tack on a big fee, to cover!
Maybe a detached villa, so you have some not into the crowd! Your best bet is to rent, and see! Housing now is not selling real fast!

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-25-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 09:07 PM

573 posts, read 2,441,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
ddlove01, all I can say is you get what you pay for. They will probably give me a house in Guatemala but I still wouldn't want it. I'm sure the prices will be falling much further to where they were many years ago so I would think twice about buying now. In another year most houses will probably be back to around the $50K mark where they belong. By the way, I have friends and travel to PSL quite often. They only bought there because it was much cheaper also. Other than that there isn't much to do there and PSL has little to offer. They constantly commute to Palm Beach County for nightlife, work, and for decent shopping. As I stated before PSL seems very poorly planned hence the nickname Port St. Lousy.

I'm not saying Port St. Lucie is all that bad but it's not what it's cracked up to be or how it was falsely promoted. No city could live up to the way Erik Estrada promotes it on those stupid infomercials. By the way, I am not sure if you are familiar with Fort Pierce but I wouldn't go there without packing some major heat.
Wow, yes I am familiar with Fort Pierce. I used to work in West Fort Pierce for over 6 years and will be going back to the "Dreaded" FTP. Never was I afraid to go into my building.

PSL was never meant to be a big nightlife, it is a place to life and (for us) raise our family. Back in the late 90s they tried making a makeshift nightclub called the attic, it didnt survive because it couldnt compare with WPB clubs. So what, you have to go to WPB to party. Here in our town in NC, the party life is in Charlotte, a 45 mins commute, same with PSL.

We made a mistake moving out of the area...well not really because we sold high and are going to buy low...and yes, we know what we are going to be getting for our money. We know lots of good inspectors, hell the one who inspected our house took 2 1/2 hrs and found lots of stupid things that I will appreciate when we hire him this year.

We know probably every street in PSL, I lived there from 1993-2007 so I consider myself a local even though I relocated. I have a job waiting for me so I don't have anything to worry about and planned ahead so if something happened we could live for 2 years our of our savings account REGARDLESS where we live. So there.

Back to the 50K mark??? When was that? 1980? We bought our house in 2000 and paid over 80K. Even my inlaws and my parents (bought in 1989 and 1993) couldn't even find a house for that price. I know the market now and every previously year. I could tell you median prices for each year since 1999. It is back to 2001 pricing. Anyone care to argue that with me who knows the RE market in PSL???

Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,941 times
Can anyone tell me which subdivisions in Port St. Lucis are experiencing difficulties with the toxoc Chinese drywall?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
I would pick Sarasota over PSL no questions asked. Remember, PSL is where that lady called 911 THREE TIMES! because McDonalds ran out of chicken mcnuggets. There was another recent episode where a someone there called 911 because she was locked inside her car! When Rush Limbaugh feels like explaining the basics to his audience, he starts off like this as an example: Rick Santelli of NBC has been neutered (spayed for those of you in Rio Linda and Port Saint Lucie). Just going off of his jokes about the place, which of course are all light humored, I would not want to live there, and I have been there and I don't want to live there.

South of PSL is Stuart, which imho is a lot nicer, it is like a miniature version of Sarasota. Overall, Sarasota has more going for it I think, probably a better economy, nicer appearance, extremely good deals right now, more of a city.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
It's probably a matter of preference - I haven't been to PSL, but understand it is/was one of those newer planned communities, and therefore not a lot of heritage or architectural history. On the other hand Sarasota is a historic place, with gorgeous established neighborhoods, circus heritage, many museums, etc. and some of the best beaches in the world. For myself, I have always preferred the older cities, but many enjoy the relative newness of a place like PSL. So ask yourself what you prefer more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida