Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:15 AM

283 posts, read 652,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
There is nothing wrong with New Yorkers or New Englanders. Good and bad like anywhere else. The problem is it seems like Florida attracts mostly the pushy and rude ones. Not to mention the dishonest and criminals. Or maybe as soon as they get here they develop a bad attitude. I just don't know any more.
Rude people are everywhere
As to New Yorkers, you will read just as many posts from them about how rude and nasty native Floridians are toward them. It seems that your state may have a problem. You like their money, but do not like the associated hassles. So very sorry, it cuts both ways. They come, buy your real estate and you tax them more than you do native full time residents. Then you complain about them not supporting schools, as you vote Republican and want tax cuts and do not want to pay for anything. Your whole state lives off of those New Yorkers. Construction, gambling, medicine,entertainment are all dependent on them. You can stop them from coming anytime you want to. Just increase taxes on them even more and add a big inheritance tax to boot. Trust me they will not come. You will be free of them. You will also need to replace hundreds of thousands of jobs. If you think real estate is bad now, try to imagine what it will be without them. Yes New Yorkers are different and certainly many are rude. As a matter of fact, when they are 60, they have no desire to change and think that the whole world should be just like the place they came from. It is called making a living BUBBA. Don't like it, move to Alabama for that real southern living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoffla08 View Post
Here we are, exactly 28 DAYS left here in Florida. It's sad. We will be leaving many good friends and a really good job. We are missing our friends and family on the West Coast and are excited about returning. Been planning this for a year now and it's crazy.....the time is finally arriving.
Soooooo...here's the situation. We both work for the same employer. We have now for a period of 4 years. We do alot for this place. Probably alot more then what we are getting paid for, and I think that we have worked ourselves into a sort of corner. These people have commented before in the past while around us that they don't believe in 2 week notices, that if you are giving your 2 weeks why would they keep you around anyway.....SOOOOO we have deceided based on that comment that we would tell them our departure plans on the 27th of this month(may). That will be 4 days left of work and 3 days waiting for the last check. That will be the deceiding vote really. Either they except the 7 days notice or they say get the hell out now. Its a crap shot with them. One minute you are in the good graces and the next your are on the list to be put in front of a firing squad.......YIKES We will have 2 weeks vacation coming on the 25th of the month. We are hoping that we will get the 2 weeks in a check. Its a toss up though really. I certainly don't want to loose the 2 weeks but then I don't really want to take it either.
Regardless, I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter. But what do you think? Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this........
I am pretty sure in most states at least once you give a two-week notice they have to pay you regardless of whether they let you go right away or not. In fact that is the best one could hope for most of the time. Especially if you are itching to start another job and just want out. Besides you could get double salary for two weeks from both jobs. I have given my notice before and since they were pretty information sensitive jobs they asked me to leave the same day which I knew they would. They still had to continue my pay and benefits though. YOu might want to check into the state labor laws about this. Knowing how things are in Florida and mainly in the employer's favor you never know here. I would hope and think that you are covered though.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawZaw View Post
Valid points! Don't expect to move to S FL and love it. It's different down there and almost not like America! I've been to Puerto Rico (not vacation, but lived there) and Equador. Equador was a very welcoming place and was treated nicely. As for Rico, it has its good and bad (from my experience mostly bad). S FL is like Rico but worse. There are some nice people, but the gangs in that area are getting real bad. I know some LEO guys and they have just raved how bad things are getting.

Visit first! Jax and north of Orlando is a better option
Orlando is like San Juan now, so if PR was bad for you (or anyone else), I strongly discourage relocation to the Orlando area.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
As to New Yorkers, you will read just as many posts from them about how rude and nasty native Floridians are toward them. It seems that your state may have a problem. You like their money, but do not like the associated hassles. So very sorry, it cuts both ways. They come, buy your real estate and you tax them more than you do native full time residents. Then you complain about them not supporting schools, as you vote Republican and want tax cuts and do not want to pay for anything. Your whole state lives off of those New Yorkers. Construction, gambling, medicine,entertainment are all dependent on them. You can stop them from coming anytime you want to. Just increase taxes on them even more and add a big inheritance tax to boot. Trust me they will not come. You will be free of them. You will also need to replace hundreds of thousands of jobs. If you think real estate is bad now, try to imagine what it will be without them. Yes New Yorkers are different and certainly many are rude. As a matter of fact, when they are 60, they have no desire to change and think that the whole world should be just like the place they came from. It is called making a living BUBBA. Don't like it, move to Alabama for that real southern living.
They wont come? They are already everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It's already done. FL isnt Florida anymore, so rather than the natives fight it, they are leaving.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
I have generally found people in NYC to be pretty friendly although going about their business at a fast pace. Sometimes I think New Yorkers get quite the bad rap. Unfortunately Florida seems to attract the not so friendly crowd so to speak and not just from New York. There is no sense of community here like in NYC or other places. It seems like most people who come to Florida with no direction are just looking for some illusion. They either never had a good job or career, are very unhappy and hoping Florida will magically change that, just got divorced or escaping problems, have extensive criminal records, somehow think that if they can't make it anywhere else they can make it big in Florida, have unreasonable expectations, think Florida is the land of make believe, once they arrive in Florida and find it is like everywhere else but warmer they start turning to scams, schemes, cons, and trickery to make a living. These are the people I am talking about. Not all. The people who come down who were successful where they came from and still maintain a job and a career in Florida and want to lead a realistic life without magic expectations of getting rich quick are not the problem. How many of them do you meet though? A lot of people I know just moved on a whim hoping for the best.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
they are all now living in Charlotte....although I was talking to a newcomber today on the car rider line and she was saying she cant believe how many people are from NY, NJ area, and she bumped into someone from where she grew up in Long Island who just moved here a few years ago....so maybe if they all get tired of charlotte they will move to florida...LOL
Or visa versa 0.o

Old 05-03-2009, 12:13 PM

283 posts, read 652,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I have generally found people in NYC to be pretty friendly although going about their business at a fast pace. Sometimes I think New Yorkers get quite the bad rap. Unfortunately Florida seems to attract the not so friendly crowd so to speak and not just from New York. There is no sense of community here like in NYC or other places. It seems like most people who come to Florida with no direction are just looking for some illusion. They either never had a good job or career, are very unhappy and hoping Florida will magically change that, just got divorced or escaping problems, have extensive criminal records, somehow think that if they can't make it anywhere else they can make it big in Florida, have unreasonable expectations, think Florida is the land of make believe, once they arrive in Florida and find it is like everywhere else but warmer they start turning to scams, schemes, cons, and trickery to make a living. These are the people I am talking about. Not all. The people who come down who were successful where they came from and still maintain a job and a career in Florida and want to lead a realistic life without magic expectations of getting rich quick are not the problem. How many of them do you meet though? A lot of people I know just moved on a whim hoping for the best.
People like that exist everywhere. I do know that many bums move to Florida during the winter. Life is easier for them when it is warm. Sorry I misunderstood what you were communicating. Thank you for correcting me.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Orlando is like San Juan now, so if PR was bad for you (or anyone else), I strongly discourage relocation to the Orlando area.
Do you know this from living in San Juan?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 PM

You know what I mean. I am speaking of population/demographics. No, I have never lived in PR. It's a figure of speech. With half of the population in Orlando being hispanic, and Orlando having the 2nd largest PR population other than NYC, what do you think Orlando resembles?

I dont need to live in Cuba to know what Miami is like.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Maybe living in Miami will tell you what Cuba is like too if you really wanna know. I didn't realize there were that many Cubans in Miami. When did they get here? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida