Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM

478 posts, read 1,324,946 times

Advertisements

Florida is losing population as more residents are leaving the state than residents from other states moving into FL.

"But that loss was offset by a net gain of 77,427 new international residents, mainly as immigrants arrived from Latin America and other points abroad." - Census: More people leaving Florida than moving in -- OrlandoSentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Can you merge this with one of the other 500 existing threads on the subject?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 PM

I think this would stop the whole discussion about whether FL is losing people or gaining. I know some folks argue the U'Haul stats, and the moving vans stats, etc... but I think this one is more clear. We are clearly losing people to other states, but overall, we are gaining in population solely on the fact that Latin American's are still moving to FL. If this trend continues, and I think it will, you will see the hispanic population in FL explode throughout the state, probably with the exception of northern FL.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
I think this would stop the whole discussion about whether FL is losing people or gaining. I know some folks argue the U'Haul stats, and the moving vans stats, etc... but I think this one is more clear. We are clearly losing people to other states, but overall, we are gaining in population solely on the fact that Latin American's are still moving to FL. If this trend continues, and I think it will, you will see the hispanic population in FL explode throughout the state, probably with the exception of northern FL.
Is there an argument?

The article says nothing new that hasn't already been hashed out:

Migration from other states DOWN. More people moving OUT. Made up by immigration and natural population rise. The potential reasons why have been discussed ad nauseum.

Who cares if the "Hispanic" population explodes? They seem to be more productive and less miserable than the "Americans" around here, and last I checked, the only thing keeping states like NEW YORK from losing population is immigration as well, yet nobody seems to be posting 50 articles about it over on the NY forum.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:34 PM

I guess I didnt see all those other articles you mentioned. I have seen one I think. I love stats and figures, it is something I did a lot of in college, so I always find things like this interesting.

As for NY, they are all moving down here eventually, so I guess it doesnt matter to them... would be my guess.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
they are all now living in Charlotte....although I was talking to a newcomber today on the car rider line and she was saying she cant believe how many people are from NY, NJ area, and she bumped into someone from where she grew up in Long Island who just moved here a few years ago....so maybe if they all get tired of charlotte they will move to florida...LOL

Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Because immigration is nothing NEW to NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Is there an argument?

The article says nothing new that hasn't already been hashed out:

Migration from other states DOWN. More people moving OUT. Made up by immigration and natural population rise. The potential reasons why have been discussed ad nauseum.

Who cares if the "Hispanic" population explodes? They seem to be more productive and less miserable than the "Americans" around here, and last I checked, the only thing keeping states like NEW YORK from losing population is immigration as well, yet nobody seems to be posting 50 articles about it over on the NY forum.
Ever hear of the Statue of Liberty? Ellis Island? Going back hundreds of years, where did immigrants to the US come to? They didn't fly in on planes around the country. They came on ship, mostly steerage passage, to the Port of New York foremost, with Philly, Baltimore, and several smaller ports in NE in addition.

It is not mentioned on any of these statistic datas because New York has ALWAYS been an immigrant state. It just depends on what period of time you are referring to as to WHERE these immigrants came from.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
The new census will be next year, maybe. I won't go into why not here. Anyway, if it takes place, everyone will see. Or maybe they still won't believe their lying eyes then either.

berryjuice, no, they won't move to Florida. They will probably just move back to where they came from originally, be that NY, NY, or Michigan. The majority of people, who move at all, don't just keep moving from state to state to state. If for no other reason, the EXPENSE and disruption in their lives.

Wouldn't this make everybody happy? People just went back to where they came from.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
they are all now living in Charlotte....although I was talking to a newcomber today on the car rider line and she was saying she cant believe how many people are from NY, NJ area, and she bumped into someone from where she grew up in Long Island who just moved here a few years ago....so maybe if they all get tired of charlotte they will move to florida...LOL
There are FAR more NY'ers and NJ'ans in FL than Charlotte, but I know tons are living there now. Trust me, I have friends there, I've heard .

Hopefully, since I saw that you are looking into moving to S FL, you really like Charlotte's NY/NJ population, b/c your about to get a double dose, lol!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Ever hear of the Statue of Liberty? Ellis Island? Going back hundreds of years, where did immigrants to the US come to? They didn't fly in on planes around the country. They came on ship, mostly steerage passage, to the Port of New York foremost, with Philly, Baltimore, and several smaller ports in NE in addition.
And this has to do with what, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples
It is not mentioned on any of these statistic datas because New York has ALWAYS been an immigrant state. It just depends on what period of time you are referring to as to WHERE these immigrants came from.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that people of Spanish decent have only been immigrating to FLORIDA for the past, oh, 10 years or so. Guess I'll tell that to the people up in Santo Augustino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida