Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 04:13 PM

105 posts, read 391,315 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel that the cities of Pensacola, Panama City, Tallahassee, Gainesville, and Ocala are rather 'overlooked' to a certain extent? I'm sure there are other cities, but when you hear about Florida, it's usually Orlando (Disney, Seaworld, Universal, etc), Jacksonville (big city), Miami (usually in a negative light with immigration, rising cost of living, hurricanes, etc), Daytona Beach (racing), Space Coast (NASA), etc.

I've visited the Panhandle and Northern Florida a few times, and maybe the reason a lot of that area is left out is because it doesn't have as much of that Florida/tropical 'feel' like Orlando, Tampa, etc. Almost like a different state, and it's MUCH more Southern in culture and has a slower pace, more like Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, and so on. Maybe it's time for a North Florida and South Florida, like the Carolinas and Dakotas.

Am I leaving out any 'overlooked' cities? They don't have to just be in the Panhandle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 04:19 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,065 times
Our area is not as developed as Orlando or the metro areas, but that is what most of us like. We have a very peaceful life and we can enjoy an area that is a paradise compare to other Florida metro areas.

Yes we do get cold in winter, but is not that bad. Now not having millions of people visiting everyday, the gargantuan traffic nightmare, the crime, yes we stay up here....

Last edited by sunrico90; 04-02-2007 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 05:02 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,994 times
northern fla isnt as touristy with all the snowbirds b/c it's colder. it all dpends on what you like. i'd throw st augustine in the bunch of over-looked cities too; not as many jobs i guess would be the reason...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida