Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How bad are the red light runners where you reside?
terrible, absolutely terrible. 25 59.52%
pretty bad. 9 21.43%
see it from time to time, but it's pretty rare actually. 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:06 PM

478 posts, read 1,324,851 times

Advertisements

I have family in town this week, and I was asked why all the cameras at intersections? I told them about our "red light running" problem. I counted on my way to the store how many lights/intersections did I see someone running a red light at... and out of 10 intersections that I could visibily see the lights, the answer was 7. At 7 of the 10 intersections, I saw someone (or multiple people) run a red light.

So I though I'd ask... how bad is the red light running, and what part of FL you live in?

My vote - Central FL - terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 01:08 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
I have family in town this week, and I was asked why all the cameras at intersections? I told them about our "red light running" problem. I counted on my way to the store how many lights/intersections did I see someone running a red light at... and out of 10 intersections that I could visibily see the lights, the answer was 7. At 7 of the 10 intersections, I saw someone (or multiple people) run a red light.

So I though I'd ask... where you live, how bad is red light running?
Red light running is a MAJOR problem here. I've lived here 5+ years and I'm still shocked by what I see on a daily basis (several times a day). I've also witnessed several accidents, caused by some speeding jackass running a red light.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,604 times
It seems to be a problem in all the population areas throughout the state. I never proceed thru an intersection after it turns green util I pause and look in all directions. Too bad if the people behind me do not like it. I've seen far too many wrecks due to red light running.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Our city held hearing on the camera deal. I think it was political. Because I have NEVER EVER ONCE IN OVER A YEAR SEEN ONE SINGLE LIGHT GET RUN. NOT EVEN ON YELLOW.

I was mad about those hearing and was out of town or I would have gone and objected to the very idea of it. I hate big brother and I hate wasteful spending.

But if it's needed in Jax or anywhere else, I'm all for it. Running lights is a terrible deadly offense.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:29 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I drive to work at 5:30 AM. Athough there are very few drivers locally on the roads at this hour, those that are are unbelievable. Try 75 mpr in a 45 mpr zone. Red lights? Yeah right.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Ocala is the ABSOLUTE worst! All the old farts seem to think they own the roads....... I saw a woman make a left hand turn from the right hand lane on SR200 today, which is 6 lanes, need I say more?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,939,956 times
Fort Myers isn't that bad....there are a few, but not terrible.

Orlando on the other hand.... worst I've ever seen anywhere in the country.

I've seen someone accelerate to 60 in a 25 just to run a red coming out of UCF....

Seen runners w/o headlights blast through intersections well after the light turns...

And of course....no one in Orlando seems to think an emergency signal red light is something they have to stop for.... someone almost T-boned a fire engine by blasting through an emergency signal red...

Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 PM

478 posts, read 1,324,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Fort Myers isn't that bad....there are a few, but not terrible.

Orlando on the other hand.... worst I've ever seen anywhere in the country.

I've seen someone accelerate to 60 in a 25 just to run a red coming out of UCF....

Seen runners w/o headlights blast through intersections well after the light turns...

And of course....no one in Orlando seems to think an emergency signal red light is something they have to stop for.... someone almost T-boned a fire engine by blasting through an emergency signal red...

I have heard that driving in Puerto Rico is absolutely awful. Driving in emergency lanes, driving in the grass/up on the curb, whatever they have to do so they are not inconvenienced. And this may be a very large part of the problem in Orlando.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i would compare a ride on my bicycle which i just did to bungee jumping.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:24 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,627,457 times
Red light running is very bad in Tampa. I'd actually call it an epidemic. It's blatant and widespread.

I think the traffic engineering philosophy is largely to blame. I once saw an interview on TV with a Tampa traffic engineer, he said something to the effect that if you don't get stopped by every single light, he's not doing his job. I think that attitude contributes a great deal to red light running, racing to the next light, speeding, road rage, etc. Drivers feel like they can't get anywhere because they catch every light so they start pushing the yellow instead of stopping.

Instead the lights should be timed such that if you drive at the speed limit you will catch a nice string of green lights, as they are in many other major cities. That would give drivers incentive to drive less aggressively, and if you did catch a red it would be less painful because you would know that you'd be properly timed up to catch all greens once the light changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida