U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM

15,610 posts, read 32,109,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Perspective...

Florida is the only place in the US I know of where as soon as you get off the plane you can breath warm moist air into your lungs, a relief from the prickling, drying air of the northern climes. Turkey day??? Hell, we're running our A/C while you're running your moisture-sucking, drying heating systems. And how's your hair? You like that stick-up-straight look? You like static electricity? Gimmee Florida anytime.
Hahaha - I TOTALLY relate! I really, really hate that dry heating thing - or dry climates for that matter. For me, the weather here is perfect - but of course it helps that we live right on the coast (2 blocks from bay) and enjoy nice breezes. It's been perfect weather since October, and now it's almost the end of April. That's a whole lotta nice weather in my book - I have no problem at all staying comfortable in my home state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 AM

831 posts, read 2,178,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Perspective...

Florida is the only place in the US I know of where as soon as you get off the plane you can breath warm moist air into your lungs, a relief from the prickling, drying air of the northern climes. Turkey day??? Hell, we're running our A/C while you're running your moisture-sucking, drying heating systems. And how's your hair? You like that stick-up-straight look? You like static electricity? Gimmee Florida anytime.

I found this to be quite amuzing. Different perceptions for different people I guess. What about when you get off the plane and the humidity takes your breath away causing you to sit down before you can roll your suit case to your rental car. How about Halloween where you'll find most kids only wear a tee shirt that says Happy Halloween because its to hot to have a costume on. Christmas time, rudolf is getting a nice bath from the sprinklers. Hair lets not even go their. You wake up in the morning and you look like you stuck your finger in a light socket, you have to apply so much gel to keep the frizzies out you've now invested stock in the company.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,109,749 times
Have lived in Florida all my life and still am not used to the heat and humidity. Here is what I do:

Main thing is to live in the a/c. We Floridians live in doors just as much as northeners do during the winter, its just we do it when its hot and humid.

From Mid-May through November usually (sometimes longer) I run from a/c to a/c. When I get into the hot car, I roll down the windows, crank up the a/c, and get the car moving till the heat is out the car, then you roll up the windows, (usually 2 minutes max).

I do any all work on the house when the cool fronts come down, once the temps reach 80F no more work on the outside of the house. If I need to do anything in the yard when it hot I do it early in the morning or wait till the sun goes down (but in these times I still wear long sleeves and put on mosquito stuff).

Daily I use sunscreen on my face, trying to avoid skin cancer. Floridians have a higher rate of skin cancer than many other places in this country. Hat always if I am outside for any extended period.

As far as my hair and the humidity, I don't fight it. The only people that have great hair in the humidity are people with thick straight hair.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,782,290 times
Drink Water water water!!!!!
Lightweight loose fitting clothing.
Do strenuous activies in the mornings

Avoid alcohol in the middle of the day.

Slow down! You're here already!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 31,948 times
A Curly Howard cut will do wonders, trust me. I hardly notice humidity these days.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,163,540 times
Default I can remember many a Halloween

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I found this to be quite amuzing. Different perceptions for different people I guess. What about when you get off the plane and the humidity takes your breath away causing you to sit down before you can roll your suit case to your rental car. How about Halloween where you'll find most kids only wear a tee shirt that says Happy Halloween because its to hot to have a costume on. Christmas time, rudolf is getting a nice bath from the sprinklers. Hair lets not even go their. You wake up in the morning and you look like you stuck your finger in a light socket, you have to apply so much gel to keep the frizzies out you've now invested stock in the company.
in NY when my kids were little (1980s) when they were sweating BULLETS in those plastic costumes. It had to be close to 80 degrees. Yes, Ocotober 31st in the "WINTERS" of NY, 20+ years ago. They called it Indian Summer up North. Here? It is usually still pushing 90 degrees on Halloween. Let them dress up as the Coppertone Baby in a bikini?

I used to have straight hair until I moved to South Florida. Now, I have a a bad hair day 365 days out of the year.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,163,540 times
I was watching a piece on the local news last night about the Everglades fires, and the one in Golden Gate. The weather people are not holding their breathes for any rain in the near future, but they were saying that if the HUMIDITY increases, which is supposed to by the end of the week, that might help contain the fires.

Well, maybe humidity is good for SOMETHING.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 PM

831 posts, read 2,178,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanodimera72 View Post
A Curly Howard cut will do wonders, trust me. I hardly notice humidity these days.

Ah the buzzzzzz cut. My son hates when I do this to him.lol

Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,646,838 times
Here's my plan...
Mornings - Breakfast by the pool then any yard work I need to do, shower and run errands/shop

Mid-Day - Salads and Icy cold Pina Coladas or Strawberry Daiquiris by (on IN) the Pool! Nothing like it!

Evening - Most are rainy in the summer - then we have a nice dinner inside and watch a movie...later we may take a walk when the weather clears....the rain usually cools things off considerably or another swim in the pool.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,638,823 times
Sounds good to me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida