Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,630,907 times

Advertisements

Yes, when from the cold north, I had won jeans for the coming to Miami, and the cold return!

Yes, i love warm, but this was nasty! Never did that again for a cruise! Sun shine crazy, I did move here, and my body did adjust to this. Even with the air off, and I seldom do use the fans? Cotton works well, and, yes the AC. Up North, I was in all the down to be have! Bed, and coats! They still
got the trip to Florida with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,590,227 times
Quote:
I was watching a piece on the local news last night about the Everglades fires, and the one in Golden Gate. The weather people are not holding their breathes for any rain in the near future, but they were saying that if the HUMIDITY increases, which is supposed to by the end of the week, that might help contain the fires.
Hehe, I was thinking this thread was a bit premature as this is the dry season and the humidity is actually not too bad yet.

I have visited relatives in other states that claim to have equivalently humid summers and suffered from what felt to me like extreme dryness - it gave me nosebleeds. I was quite happy to get back to Florida's humidity. I don't even want to imagine how miserable I'd be in a truly dry climate like out west.

My tips for high humidity - crank the AC in home and auto, get your auto windows tinted as dark as legally allowed and use a sunshield for the front glass, park in the shade, stay hydrated, and pray for afternoon thundershowers.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,904,172 times
One of the first things I learned is that the tropical sun is the real culprit. I can take the mid-90 temps, but the S Florida sun will make a strong man weak.
A live oak or mahogany tree are truly great assets on a Florida property.

The second thing I learned is that proximity to the gulf or ocean has a real moderating effect on both the summer heat and the winter cool/cold. In my area I'll note a 3-5 degree difference in the near coast temps to the temps just a few miles inland. Like today the forecast high for coastal Venice is 85 while the inland temp is forecast to reach 89.

The third thing I learned is that a dip in the pool will make the 90+ temps feel great.

The fourth thing I learned is pace myself when working out in the sun, once you get over heated it takes time to recover and in many cases you are just plain shot for the day. Drink plenty of water, stay hydrated.

The more time you spend indoors in A/C the less likely you are to be able to adjust and to begin enjoying life in Florida.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 AM

343 posts, read 1,041,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninob1213 View Post
Florida is the only place in the US I know of where you as soon you get off the plane after a long vacation up north you choke on that thick discusting humid air that bakes you alive like sitting in the kitchen in Miami with NO AC/Windows closed on turkey day. This is a thread dedicated on how to survive our home state weather for native and newcomers.

Taking multiple showers a day and drinking a lot of water a is a must. feel free to add your thoughts
Taking multiple showers a day doesn't keep you cool.

If anything, just stay inside.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,125 times
Florida is a great place to live 8-9 months out of the year. The rest is HOT, HUMID and MISERABLE.

Options are:
A) stay indoors w/AC (I keep mine at 72F year round, which is must lower than I hear from most people, but I like it cool indoors).
B) own a beach cottage/condo that you use yourself during the summer and rent out during season to offset cost (weekends if you have to show up to work, all summer if you are retired or can work remotely). Or better yet, make friends with beach property. Friends with boat are also great to have.
C) Plan as much of your pleasure and/or business travel to northern destinations during the summer.

Keep your car in a garage, or covered by shade.
Valet parking is a nice way to enable entry into a cooler car.
Next time you buy a car, get one with a/c seats & a remote that starts your car (& AC) before you enter.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 PM

407 posts, read 385,627 times
put on some Ben Gay on your chest and arm pits. You will not be hot, guaranteed. I have noticed senior citizens do this all the time in Florida. Also, put on baby powder anywhere that you sweat.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,478,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyfinder View Post
Florida is a great place to live 8-9 months out of the year. The rest is HOT, HUMID and MISERABLE.

Options are:
A) stay indoors w/AC (I keep mine at 72F year round, which is must lower than I hear from most people, but I like it cool indoors).
B) own a beach cottage/condo that you use yourself during the summer and rent out during season to offset cost (weekends if you have to show up to work, all summer if you are retired or can work remotely). Or better yet, make friends with beach property. Friends with boat are also great to have.
C) Plan as much of your pleasure and/or business travel to northern destinations during the summer.

Keep your car in a garage, or covered by shade.
Valet parking is a nice way to enable entry into a cooler car.
Next time you buy a car, get one with a/c seats & a remote that starts your car (& AC) before you enter.

A number of posters in this thread have advocated spending the entire summer under A/C.
This is the very worst thing you can do and will not acclimatize the human body to external temperatures.
Unless you're very fat or very old or work inside as much time as possible should be spent outside. Obviously certain jobs are better done at certain times of the day but by avoiding A/C until the evening when it's time to retreat inside for the night the body's natural thermometer will adjust itself accordingly.
Otherwise any time you go outside from an A/C room it's obviously going to feel instantly muggy and humid.
If you must stay inside then a fan is much better for you than A/C - but don't forget to set it anti-clockwise to draw the heat up to the ceiling rather than at ground-level.Clockwise is the winter setting.
Florida's climate is really no different from the Caribbean and anyone who visits there will know that most locals don't use A/C during the day - bars,for instance,have open shutters and plenty of fans to run a cooling breeze.

The secret is to use nature and the environment to your advantage rather than trying to defeat it which, of course,humans will never do.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
A number of posters in this thread have advocated spending the entire summer under A/C.
This is the very worst thing you can do and will not acclimatize the human body to external temperatures.
Unless you're very fat or very old or work inside as much time as possible should be spent outside. Obviously certain jobs are better done at certain times of the day but by avoiding A/C until the evening when it's time to retreat inside for the night the body's natural thermometer will adjust itself accordingly.
Otherwise any time you go outside from an A/C room it's obviously going to feel instantly muggy and humid.
If you must stay inside then a fan is much better for you than A/C - but don't forget to set it anti-clockwise to draw the heat up to the ceiling rather than at ground-level.Clockwise is the winter setting.
Florida's climate is really no different from the Caribbean and anyone who visits there will know that most locals don't use A/C during the day - bars,for instance,have open shutters and plenty of fans to run a cooling breeze.

The secret is to use nature and the environment to your advantage rather than trying to defeat it which, of course,humans will never do.
This is great advice ^^^. It is also to set the AC for as high a temp as you can, so that the difference is not so shocking.

As a Fl native, I love going outside to exercise and sweat a lot - sweating makes you feel really good, gets toxins out plus acclimates you to the hotter temps. But very important to stay hydrated!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,312,487 times
Well I've been here for 4 years (I'm from New Haven, CT) and I still am not even close to used to this humidity. It's really beginning to get to me too -- I really love the cooler months but this is just terrible. I can hardly breathe outdoors at 12:00! I can't be comfortable at any time of the day. I begin to sweat even when the sun is down very quickly.

For summer, I stay inside until the sun goes down... then I take a shower after I get home.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM

390 posts, read 603,700 times
When it gets that bad, you really need a pool to swim in. And to have your very own, makes the days that are unbearable from the heat/humidity easier. I wonder if everyone that responded has their own personal pool......

The next best choice would be to swim in the ocean/gulf or community pool. And the 3rd choice would be A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida