Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 06:04 AM

40 posts, read 341,345 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to start a new thread about the "grading" in public schools....main reason is, that I see many people depending on what they have heard about a school based on its "grade"....overall Id say that is a good indication of the basic reputation that one school may have, but please bear in mind, as you come to this state, there are many other factors that you should alert yourselves to outside of just the grade a school can have, we have an FCAT testing system here that was strongly supported financially by our past governor, Jeb Bush, the presidents equally stupid brother, that can actually set your child back all the way up to 10th grade, my son is going thru some of that now, and I had to meet with the Vice Principal yesterday to try and set him up for some further testing for it to be RETESTED for some sections he failed, based on THOSE results, he may or may NOT be promoted...!!!!!!!.....my daughter, who is now in her first year in junior college went thru the same thing and we lived with that threat for ages of her having to retake so many of those tests, and its always after the year is over because they dont get the damn results until the school year is completed, therefore, you have to just wait and see what the heck happens, my son is so frustrated right now he wants to leave school completely because these test results are actually from his previous 9th grade year, but I just dont think its fair, and Im trying like mad to help him, furthermore, in speaking to the prinicpals and counselors I learn that much of the grading system is brought out due to amount of "promotions" the faculty received due to the their evaluations depending on the schools grade, it was a bit of slip of the tongue from them, but I definitely caught it, and felt very disgusted with the mention, I had suspected it for quite a while tho, and if there is an incident of severe fighting (which there is MANY days) or outbreaks of weapons being brought in to school, or drinking or drunken behavior.....then they hush it up in everyway they can possibly do it, almost to the point of not even reporting or contacting emergency paramedics for students who are hurt, JUST SO THEIR SCHOOL GRADE WONT GET LOWERED, I saw this happen as well, as one friend of my sons was hurt very badily and went in to a seizure on the courtyard by another school bully when they became involved in a very violent fight, and the guidance counselor told the girl who called the 911 ambulance that she was "overreacting"...the boy was rushed to Shands Emergency Trauma Center tho as soon as they arrived as he was diagnosed on the scene with an impact seizure and once arriving at Shands and tests were done, his parents were told he had a brain cuncushion and three broken ribs, and bleeding in his right eye... his parents filed suit against the county school board and tho this boy is much better now (this having happened last September 21, 2006) he still has intense headaches and lightheadedness, among many other unexplained problemn and his parents had little to no medical insurance at that time... also they had to spend more money on dental repair work for him due to that fight...

true, these kinds of things go on in all schools nationwide, that much I dont disagree ....but it is a good idea not to put all your faith in the grade a school has and its ongoing interest being your child, I am in fact at this point now that I do not believe my sons education is the least bit in their interest as much as their salary increase is to them, and if we can spend excess dollars on funding and the production work of a testing program that can actually alter a childs daily work/midterm/final exams that they normally take based on class teaching ... then whats the sense in giving that poor child false hope if they dont make it thru do to an FCAT test that sets them back?...

this part of Florida education needs to be abolished, it never existed when I came through these schools, so I dont believe it is helping our kids but more less hurting them in many ways... and unless your child is mainly in ALL honors classes starting with their first year in high school, FORGET getting a scholarship for them to college, they will be RETAKING THE EXACT SAME CLASSES ONCE AGAIN IN JUNIOR COLLEGE, we are paying for that right now as well.....

sorry for the early morning rant, but this has me so steamed I cant sit still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,700,159 times
I hate to say it, but schools in Florida, as well as the rest of the USA are beyond hope. We need to let private schools take over the job. They do a better job at less money than the public school system. Let them compete for our tax dollars, you may be surprised at the results you get!

It's still cheaper to send someone to college than to prison.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:35 AM

40 posts, read 341,345 times
lol, thats a cute reply, Rick, and probably VERY TRUE, and certainly meaningful about the prison info, yes sir... galls me to think of the scum we are keeping alive in state prisons and all....especially with the child predator situation, if they let anymore of those animals out, I think Im going to scream

but ya know something, those private schools aint all their cracked up to be either, we sent my son to one last year here at the beach, "The Foundation School" cost us 700 smackers for just retaking Alegebra, coz the school said if he retook it he would get the 10th grade placing ...so off we went, the whole entire summer the school had no AC, he almost died in there, also, more fights, in fact almost worse, its so ridiculous, and sometimes, they dont have the same credibility for acceptance ... yes, they get thru the cirriculum ok, in fact, they will place them in the next grade if in fact they know nothing at all, because the money is what gets your kid the grade, not his work, reason I know is my son did NONE of the work, my husband did most of it, and when he had to take the final, he cudnt pass it, but they gave him an A in the class anyway, lol... my son is lazy in this field, but cud do it if he put his mind to it, so between his stubbornness and the schools themselves its getting tuffer, but I dunno, like they say, "money talks and bs walks"...lol, or words to that effect....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida