Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 04:13 AM

175 posts, read 464,422 times

Advertisements

I have done a quiz online and Tampa Jacksonville and West Palm beach come up as the best places.

Does anyone have any comparisons that would help me.

We are family with 3 kids under 10. Looking for an outdoor lifestyle, in a fun, vibrant area. If the area is still growing that would be good too. Plenty of young people as well as families (not just families).

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 AM

OK, we are going to book a holiday and come and check it out, but we would like to know where to really visit in order to get some feel for what it would actually be like to live there.

If you do have any advice I would love it

Old 05-03-2009, 07:49 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
For a family, if you consider West Palm Beach area, I would recommend looking to the Northern suburbs of West Palm Beach, including Jupiter, Juno Beach, Tequesta, and Palm Beach Gardens.

Unless, of course, your family is a bit bohemian and/or urban pioneers. In that case, I'd recommend the "Southside" of West Palm Beach, with its historic neighborhoods and "real" neighborhood and city feel.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times
I would probably further narrow it down to Tampa or West Palm Beach. Jacksonville is less welcoming to outsiders and doesn't offer nearly as much of what you are after. It claims to be more family oriented but I didn't find that to be true. It is far from vibrant and not changing.

Parts of Tampa are very nice but I don't know a lot about the area.

West Palm Beach has a great location. It can be as quiet as you want or as crazy as you want. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are just a stone's throw away if you want even more. It is very convenient. One thing to consider would be the huge and ever growing Hispanic population throughout S. Florida and all of Florida in general. If this isn't your thing then you will not like it in West Palm Beach or anywhere in S. Florida especially. This is a true melting pot. As another poster said, I would stick to the east end of Palm Beach County in places like Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm Beach, and maybe even Jupiter although it is a little inconvenient. You will be close to the beaches and major activity in the area. There is less riff raff and crime in these areas. Wellington and Royal Palm Beach are further west but nice too.

Find a good realtor and take your time. It is not worth rushing into. I hope this helps some. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks for your help! Gee on all the stats sites Jax comes up as the youngest population and the fastest growing etc.....but unless it comes with a vibrant culture and (not terribly conservative and quiet) it would not be what we are after. Hmmmmm....

Ok will do some more research on Tampa and North of West Palm beach.

We are going to book a holiday to come and check it out without kids. If we were to look at these areas are there any recommendations you would make. ie how do we get a feel for the place without just 'staying as a tourist and seeing touristy things'.

Also, a few people have commented on the Hispanic populations. This doesn't mean anything to me really. Here we have a very large Asian population, which also is not bad, just ever increasing due to China sending its students around the planet lol. Is that the kind of thing you are referring to, or is there more to it??

After seeing a doc on your alligators last night I am no longer afraid of that factor, I think I thought they were as bad as our crocodiles!

Thanks again for your tips and help.

More questions - would you recommend just booking a flight to say NY then booking internal flights once we are there????

OK shutting up now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida