Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 AM

123 posts, read 553,344 times

Advertisements

We saw a few nice townhouses (viewing them next week while we're in the area). We have someone down there at my Fiance's new job that told him the 3rd-8th Ave/Street area of Shalimar isn't a great area to live. We saw a beautiful townhouse online that we are going to look at on 4th/5th Ave. I'd like to get some opinions on whether it is a really bad area or if it's just not "desirable". If it's full of crime and violence then I want nothing to do with it...

Some others are in Fort Walton Beach, Rockport Drive and Greendale Ave.
Does anyone have insight on good or bad areas?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
I'd have a hard time coming up with a dangerous part of Shalimar, though there are a couple of somewhat scruffy apartment complexes there.

The bad neighborhoods in FWB/Shalimar/Mary Esther:
The Sylvania Heights area NW of the mall
The area that's a box formed by US 98, Eglin Pkwy, Beal, and Hollywood kind of north of downtown FWB. (though if you go east of Eglin Pkwy in that same area, the Eliot Point area is a nice middle class neighborhood)

Working class poor- some property crime but not what I'd call dangerous violent crime:
The area south of Racetrack Road to the bayou
parts of the Greenacres area NW of Ft. Walton Beach
The far eastern multifamily area of Okaloosa Island north of Santa Rosa Blvd by Cash's

There really aren't any bad neighborhoods in the area by big city standards and what passes for bad areas will often be adjacent to a respectable and safe middle class neighborhood. We used to live in the allegedly bad part of Okaloosa Island because it was cheap and a block from the beach and we never really had major problems.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'd have a hard time coming up with a dangerous part of Shalimar, though there are a couple of somewhat scruffy apartment complexes there.

The bad neighborhoods in FWB/Shalimar/Mary Esther:
The Sylvania Heights area NW of the mall
The area that's a box formed by US 98, Eglin Pkwy, Beal, and Hollywood kind of north of downtown FWB. (though if you go east of Eglin Pkwy in that same area, the Eliot Point area is a nice middle class neighborhood)

Working class poor- some property crime but not what I'd call dangerous violent crime:
The area south of Racetrack Road to the bayou
parts of the Greenacres area NW of Ft. Walton Beach
The far eastern multifamily area of Okaloosa Island north of Santa Rosa Blvd by Cash's

There really aren't any bad neighborhoods in the area by big city standards and what passes for bad areas will often be adjacent to a respectable and safe middle class neighborhood. We used to live in the allegedly bad part of Okaloosa Island because it was cheap and a block from the beach and we never really had major problems.

Thank you very much! The place is called Port Dixie in Shalimar. They are townhouses built in 2003, around $800/month. On 4th and 5th ave. Someone told us (the lady from his new office) that there was a "crack house" in that area...... so I was concerned. She listens to the police scanner and said she hears some violent calls and such from that area. Do you think this area actually is safe?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM

I don't know street by street there, but what I've seen of Port Dixie is pretty much ordinary middle class neighborhoods, and that's the first I've heard of drug issues in the area. I'd say go out to the property and see what the gut reaction to the townhouse and the neighborhood is.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:16 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
I don't know street by street there, but what I've seen of Port Dixie is pretty much ordinary middle class neighborhoods, and that's the first I've heard of drug issues in the area. I'd say go out to the property and see what the gut reaction to the townhouse and the neighborhood is.
Thanks for the help/insight. You make a great point! From what I've seen they are the nicest/most up to date for the $$ in the FWB area. I think I like the idea of living outside of FWB- probably would be quieter.

Let's see what we think on Tuesday morning!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicy724 View Post
Thank you very much! The place is called Port Dixie in Shalimar. They are townhouses built in 2003, around $800/month. On 4th and 5th ave. Someone told us (the lady from his new office) that there was a "crack house" in that area...... so I was concerned. She listens to the police scanner and said she hears some violent calls and such from that area. Do you think this area actually is safe?
So, now we are looking into 6 months leases, which seems aren't the easiest to come by. We want tp buy a house this year. There are some places on Alder Avenue in FWB that do this. Is this area okay? Trying to figure it out via your information but I can't get it all mapped out right...

Thanks for any additional guidance!

Last edited by chicy724; 05-01-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 PM

I used to work not too far from there. (Alder Ave SE) You're east of Eglin Pkwy in the Elliot Point neighborhood, which is the 'good' side of that street. Area's mostly a mix of townhomes and small cinderblock homes with some seriously big & expensive homes and condos right on the water. Not bad from a crime standpoint, but you occasionally do get a few homeless people hanging out in downtown a little bit south of there. Pretty decent location to rent for a while- there are a couple nice neighborhood parks in the area, a newer Publix a few blocks south in downtown, and you're close to the beach.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I used to work not too far from there. (Alder Ave SE) You're east of Eglin Pkwy in the Elliot Point neighborhood, which is the 'good' side of that street. Area's mostly a mix of townhomes and small cinderblock homes with some seriously big & expensive homes and condos right on the water. Not bad from a crime standpoint, but you occasionally do get a few homeless people hanging out in downtown a little bit south of there. Pretty decent location to rent for a while- there are a couple nice neighborhood parks in the area, a newer Publix a few blocks south in downtown, and you're close to the beach.
Thanks again....
And now, how about Denton Blvd? "Parkview Estate". Now, when they use the name estate and it's not an estate... makes me think of a trailer park!

They have super flexible lease terms and the Townhomes look decent. You can break the lease with 30 days notice.... basically the perfect scenario for our plans... Yet again I tried to map it out and I just can't do it right! lol

Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Lots of low grade rental properties in the Denton Ave. area. It's that area south of Racetrack that's not like totally ghetto but it tends toward working poor at random intervals and you can probably do better than that.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Lots of low grade rental properties in the Denton Ave. area. It's that area south of Racetrack that's not like totally ghetto but it tends toward working poor at random intervals and you can probably do better than that.
Thanks beachmouse. You've been very helpful. It is hard finding apts. that are short term leases. These are the only two I've come across so far. The one on Denton is extremely flexible and cheap, so of course its enticing.
We'd probably only live in either of these until the fall. Then we'd be looking for a house. Perhaps it would be okay anyway simply because it's short term.
Cheap means more $$ for the house. Flexible means we can buy a house when we want, and have more buying power because we could close almost whenever; gives us an edge on other offers possibly. Ugh.

Does anyone out there know of places in better neighborhoods that offer these flexible type of terms? Perhaps the 6 mos lease would be okay, but that puts us into December for getting a house. Perferrably earlier the better. I have two kitties, too.. and we're trying to stay away from a "regular" apartment.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida