Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 11:23 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Now THAT'S a golf course! Greenville SC

The Reedy River that runs right through downtown Greenville SC.

Blue Ridge Mountains

I know the Blue Ridge Mountains very well, traveled them tons of times for years. Have traveled from Front Royal on the parkway to Cherokee many many times.

Beautiful yes, very beautiful!

I have nothing bad to say about the Blue Ridge Mountains as it is an amazing site to drive down the parkway and see those mountains and if you are lucky see a few bears along the way like we did last trip.

But, I would not want to live there. Gets way too cold and once the trees drop the leaves, it's beauty goes away until spring.

My husband has played many golf courses around the country and loves a couple along the ocean near Myrtle Beach SC and Hilton Head SC and one I cannot remember the name near Ft Lauderdale?

But, one of his all time favs is in Black Mountain NC because it had the only known par 6 the last time he played it. I hear it all the time, I played a par 6 in NC and birdied it!!!

If you like like golf and good year around weather, Myrtle Beach SC would be your goldmine.

Now you are making me want to take a drive down the parkway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:37 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
LOL, you must be her daughter and suffering from the same terminal unhappiness. I am sorry you are having to go through life like that but not sorry enough to join you.
why would I be so unhappy? I'm getting married in 2 months, buying a house at 24, and live comfortably? I'm far from unhappy

These conclusions from you people on the Florida board are really funny. You don't even know a person and assume they're unhappy...lol. I think you guys are the unhappy ones if you assume many other people are.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I agree, nothing can beat this picture.
True, but unless this is your actual backyard....it's not what most people see everyday living in FL. They have to take a sick day from their jobs (that certainly don't look at the ocean), and head out for the day. You an get beauty on an excursion no matter where you live.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Jacksonville has tons of mature tree lined streets and not a single palm in sight. I'm moving there and been looking and all the neighborhoods surrounding downtown suburbs resemble what I'm used to in Pa.
I am assuming you are speaking of San Marco, Avondale etc? Nice areas. When I lived in Jax, I always said they reminded me of the north.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingTrees View Post
I've lived in Southeastern Florida for more than two decades. I never really liked it. But lately, I've been having dreams about driving through hillsides with cool mountain tree-top canopies, winding roads, and find myself "promising to myself" in my dream that I will never return to Florida again! It's like I am SO happy to breathe fresh air again, that it doesn't smell reptilian -- that the trees provide so much life that the "bushes" here in Florida simply can't compare to! What is wrong with me???
You live in South Florida.

We have trees and hills in north Florida.

P.S. Don't tell the Yankees.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,318 times
Wow, thanks for all of your replies! And for some GREAT pics that were posted!

I know Florida is a huge state, and that's why I emphasized "Southeastern Florida" -- thank goodness there are still so many heavily-treed areas in central/northern regions of the state! Absolutely beautiful! (And drooling at the pics from other states!)

I do not feel that Florida has failed me, nor have I failed here... I simply don't like it. I stayed put because this is where my kids were born and I didn't want to uproot them. They are now nearing their early/mid-twenties. In any other economic time, I would have the opportunity to seek to build a new nest elsewhere. How fortunate for you who are in Florida and love it here! I will ride out this wave -- was just wondering if anyone else felt suddenly missing shade, that's about all...

Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Try driving down Old Cutler Rd in Miami-Dade County sometime if you are missing the shade trees. You will be pleasantly surprised.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Old+Cu...99999999999998

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Old+Cu...99999999999998

The entire length of Old Cutler Rd is like this, as are the communities near it.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I like NATURE. Sue me for that.
You like Nature and would rather live in the concrete jungle of NY

Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
You like Nature and would rather live in the concrete jungle of NY
I hate tell you but there are other parts of NY besides the city. Have you ever gone out to Long Island? Especially North Port, Fort Salonga area, its absolutely beautiful.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default I like both

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I hate tell you but there are other parts of NY besides the city. Have you ever gone out to Long Island? Especially North Port, Fort Salonga area, its absolutely beautiful.
I spent the first 28 years of my life in NYC. The second 30 years was on LI. I lived in the section of Smithtown, which is just east of Fort Salonga. That area of 25A is beautiful and on the national historical registry.

Why I never wanted to leave that area. It was MY paradise. Plus when I wanted City life, I just got on the train and went into Manhattan. Best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida