Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 AM

569 posts, read 1,668,698 times

Advertisements

With all the development especially in S. Florida the new state tree of Florida has become the telephone pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 09:17 AM

478 posts, read 1,324,946 times
^^^LOL! I always heard it was a crane. But same idea.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Cranes make nice looking trees too. In place of California Redwood trees we have 60-story condos here instead. Same thing. Just a little more cement.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,496 times
TO: Sunny-Days90....You want us all to believe you're so well-traveled yet you think trees "die" in the winter, up-north. "Trees start to die"; "during winter they are ugly and dead"; "dead trees", etc. You can think they are ugly if you want, many of us do, but they are not dead! It sounded like you really believe they are, so I had to tell you they aren't. If they were alive in the spring, summer, and autumn there is a pretty good chance they're alive all winter. But to know for sure if all the "dead trees" you are referring to ARE alive, Spring will let you know. When I travel I enjoy learning new things. I grew up in the north so I learned in first grade that trees don't "die" in the winter.

Last edited by whatnow; 05-02-2009 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-02-2009, 03:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
If all these trees up North died in the winter, then every single tree in the entire northern part of the USA would have to be replanted every single year in the Spring. So many of these trees are older than me, my parents, and my grandparents.

How can someone, who lives in Ohio which has 4 seasons, not know this? It's because they have a biased agenda because they want to live in Florida. Everything up North is BAD. Everything in Florida is GREAT.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Are the same trees much better in Florida like everything else in life?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Native trees to South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Are the same trees much better in Florida like everything else in life?
have very tiny leaves. I suppose that is because they require less water in this very subtropical climate. There aren't very many though where I live. Every opportunity they get, the "city" plants PALM TREES. Probably because the transplants, tourists, snowbirds, and retirees EXPECT PALM TREES.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Part of it is that palm trees are an easy species to manage. They're low maintenance compared to leafier trees, you generally don't have to worry about their root systems damaging pavement from underneath, can be put into relatively small spaces because many types have a small footprint and a number of species are very wind-tolerant come storm time.

I love our live oaks but they take a low more work than the palms do. Lots, lots more work. So if a municipality wants to go with a lower maintenance species that many people find pleasant, I can understand that as long as they're not taking out something prettier, though fussier, to do so.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:47 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
If all these trees up North died in the winter, then every single tree in the entire northern part of the USA would have to be replanted every single year in the Spring. So many of these trees are older than me, my parents, and my grandparents.

How can someone, who lives in Ohio which has 4 seasons, not know this? It's because they have a biased agenda because they want to live in Florida. Everything up North is BAD. Everything in Florida is GREAT.
Wrong again Tan.

I do not say everything is bad here at all, in fact is is not a bad place to live if you like the weather if you can pick the right town. If you would the time I often tell people where to move in Ohio and where not to move so there. With the massive jobs losses here I do tell people to make sure you look around before you move here as Ohios unemployment is currently 9.7, equal to Floridas.

I never said everything in Florida is great either. Florida has its problems and I state that all the time. But I can tell you Florida's issues are no worse then anyone else's.

And you are an odd one to state someone having an agenda.... that is so funny coming from you.

What I do know is most people who hate Florida with a passion have a hard time being honest about it and telling us why they really hate it so much. With two former posters here in the Florida forum caught in total lies about how they failed in Florida and blamed everyone but themselves who the heck can you believe anymore?

To just flat out lie about how bad things are in Florida and influence someone taking the chance to better their lives is totally in called for.

I want people to do better and know many who have went to Florida with next to nothing and ended up doing extremely well. But to hear some of these people say it there is no way you can make it.

For example I know a young girl who went to Florida with a few hundred dollars in her pocket and a beater car and is making great money in the Orlando area right now, but to hear some of these people tell it there is no way anyone can come to Florida and make it. Its a total lie! Has been proven wrong a million times.

Whatnow, I have traveled all over this country and already saw anything and everything most states and cities have, and still travel quite a bit.

When I sold my business it cut down on my travels a ton which is a good thing. I still enjoy new things also but if is cold I will not enjoy it at all.

So I do know what I am talking about when it comes to towns and states.

As far as trees go, if you want to get that darn technical go ahead, I consider them to be DEAD and UGLY. Just for you and your technical ways lets make it easier on you and say the leaves DIE and fall off, then they are DEAD.

And yes, trees with no leaves are UGLY.

I have enough miles racked up to travel around the world and back for free. When we fly to Florida or anywhere else my trip is free and I only have to pay for my husband and kids.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:58 PM

Default You can beat around the bush,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Wrong again Tan.

I do not say everything is bad here at all, in fact is is not a bad place to live if you like the weather if you can pick the right town. If you would the time I often tell people where to move in Ohio and where not to move so there. With the massive jobs losses here I do tell people to make sure you look around before you move here as Ohios unemployment is currently 9.7, equal to Floridas.

I never said everything in Florida is great either. Florida has its problems and I state that all the time. But I can tell you Florida's issues are no worse then anyone else's.

And you are an odd one to state someone having an agenda.... that is so funny coming from you.

What I do know is most people who hate Florida with a passion have a hard time being honest about it and telling us why they really hate it so much. With two former posters here in the Florida forum caught in total lies about how they failed in Florida and blamed everyone but themselves who the heck can you believe anymore?

To just flat out lie about how bad things are in Florida and influence someone taking the chance to better their lives is totally in called for.

I want people to do better and know many who have went to Florida with next to nothing and ended up doing extremely well. But to hear some of these people say it there is no way you can make it.

For example I know a young girl who went to Florida with a few hundred dollars in her pocket and a beater car and is making great money in the Orlando area right now, but to hear some of these people tell it there is no way anyone can come to Florida and make it. Its a total lie! Has been proven wrong a million times.

Whatnow, I have traveled all over this country and already saw anything and everything most states and cities have, and still travel quite a bit.

When I sold my business it cut down on my travels a ton which is a good thing. I still enjoy new things also but if is cold I will not enjoy it at all.

So I do know what I am talking about when it comes to towns and states.

As far as trees go, if you want to get that darn technical go ahead, I consider them to be DEAD and UGLY. Just for you and your technical ways lets make it easier on you and say the leaves DIE and fall off, then they are DEAD.

And yes, trees with no leaves are UGLY.

I have enough miles racked up to travel around the world and back for free. When we fly to Florida or anywhere else my trip is free and I only have to pay for my husband and kids.
all you want, but the scientific fact remains that these northern trees don't DIE in the winter, just because YOU consider them dead and UGLY.

BTW, do you know that even tropical plants, such as the hibiscus, don't bloom all year just because they are in Florida? They have seasons too. Are they DEAD too because they aren't blooming?

I can bash all I want. At least I am LIVING HERE.

Last edited by TANaples; 05-02-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida