Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,003,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait2travel View Post
Do hurricanes hit in Jan-April? In Stuart, are there property management companies that will take care of the home the other 8 months out of the year?
Hurricane season is June through November, with August, September and early October the height of the season and the time you need to worry.

There are companies and people that can watch your home, if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 28,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
The areas with the most foreclosures, like Cape Coral and Port St. Lucie, are the exact areas that don't fit your bill.
Why do those areas not fit my bill?

Quote:
There aren't many snowbirds with young children though, and that may be an issue.
Whenever we vacation there are never other young couples with kids since we always vacation during school months as the vacation spots are less crowded that way. We are used to acquiring new "grand parents" while on vacation. The kids love it to.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:39 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times
Quote:
If I have a Wal-Mart (super preferred) within 10 minutes of my house I really don't need the town I live in to have anything else other than a nice church. I do not mind driving 30-45 minutes to get to a town with movie theaters and other entertainment venues.
Then also put Vero Beach on your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait2travel
What is the main draw/difference between the west and east coast of FL. Where was the housing boom the worst and what offers the best chance for finding a distressed/foreclosure home?
The housing boom was the worst in some of the larger cities, such as PSL, Cape Coral, Northport (West Coast). I don't know much about the West Coast of Florida, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans
Stuart is not part of Pt. St. Lucie. In fact, Stuart has been around for well over 100 years, and is the county seat of Martin County. Port St. Lucie was built in the 60's.

There is a world of difference between St. Lucie County and Martin County.

Haha, yeah, but as much as Martin County folks like to think otherwise, the whole area bleeds together in such a way so as that PSL residents and Martin residents have been shopping, dining, and interacting with one another since PSL started up, and are economically interconnected (Martin County's sales tax revenue owes a LOT to PSL shoppers who until recently had to travel to Martin to shop). God help the Treasure Coast mall if Western Port St. Lucie gets its own mall!

Nonetheless, PSL is definitely not what the OP is looking for. Way too many people.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 PM

The mall is on it's last legs anyway.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:42 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times
Quote:
The mall is on it's last legs anyway.
It's actually the same or better than it was ten years ago, if you can believe it!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Why do those areas not fit my bill?
Because those areas aren't true towns. They were huge tracts of land that were trned into suburban housing with no town center, or anything even approximating a town like feel. Then they built strip malls and such.

Houses were built on lots smaller than a quarter acre, and when the boom came, they became expensive and people speculated or got in over their heads. Now there are lots of foreclosures. You can get a cheap house, but you never will know what's arounfd you, and you could, and will, end up with a bunch of renters, or squatters, or abandoned homes as your neighborhood.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's actually the same or better than it was ten years ago, if you can believe it!
No, no way! I was speaking with a deputy the other night, and she said she wouldn't let her kids go there on weekends.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM

I just checked google maps and the way to get from PSL to Stuart is all toll roads. That always blows my mind when in FL. We have no toll roads in KY.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 PM

What's the boating scene like there? Seems like it would be a wonderful place to own a boat.

Are there any new homes in Stuart?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I just checked google maps and the way to get from PSL to Stuart is all toll roads. That always blows my mind when in FL. We have no toll roads in KY.
No, that's not true at all. Sure, you can get on the Florida Turnpike and go one exit, but that isn't how people travel. It is most definitely not toll roads. Most people travel on US1.

Don't trust google maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida