Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Tony,

If "They have all tore the place up and they all stopped paying rent. " is not a problem I dont know what is.
True. It is a problem, but my point was that I only have that ONE unit in a bad area. I have only had it for about 6 years and it has been nothing but trouble. All my other units are in nice areas and I have Never had a problem with them after 17 years. My point was, buy in a nice area and you should have too many problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
True. It is a problem, but my point was that I only have that ONE unit in a bad area. I have only had it for about 6 years and it has been nothing but trouble. All my other units are in nice areas and I have Never had a problem with them after 17 years. My point was, buy in a nice area and you should have too many problems.
i notice the freudian, "buy in a nice area and you should have too many problems."

tenants who can't pay still don't want to leave, and some of them don't handle it well-particularly when they are staying in a nice house that they don't want to vacate, with a good rental rate.

as i said, when i first started renting out i gave my tenants christmas gifts, charged below market rates, fixed everything immediately, and kept everything top notch-and had no trouble for years, but the economy is changing.

my last tenant stole my manatee mailbox, my plants, my pool equipment, and my wall sculpture out by the pool. (i was smart enough to not provide the appliances to take this time ) could i sue, sure, but what about actually collecting? i am a firm believer in not throwing good money after bad.

my advice if anybody still wants to be a landlord in tough economic times is 1) don't, 2) if you still insist, don't supply high end appliances, high end furniture, or anything else they can haul away. if they aren't paying their rent, they know they will lose the security deposit so they take anything they can get. i had a friend recently who had parts of the hot tub stolen from his rental unit, rendering the hot tub completely useless to him. (presumably because they couldn't move the entire hot tub).

sometimes you see the stolen items listed on craigslist-including central air conditioners, kitchen cabinets, appliances, etc., but nobody is doing anything about it. i saw a real estate agent advertising ceiling fans from a foreclosure, so i guess i have seen about everything.

now are all tenants like that?- of course not, so i am sure that we will hear from the good tenants who have the landlord horror stories as well.

i just don't have any of those stories to tell.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
I have a issue with a ex boyfriend who decided he owns my home! I moved and left my son with a signed lease living there in the home. This ex is trying to evict my son out of his family home. We filed a restraining order against him for violence toward my son, cutting electric wires and more, that was dismissed today.This man went and paid last years taxes and filed what is called a adverse claim. He can own it in 7 years???? I just want him out! does anyone know how many days a tenant with no lease can be out before you change the locks???? This is killing me..they said I have to eject him out because he had no lease. 2 x the cost of a eviction. If he does not go back to the home for some time can I just keep him off? also is it legal if he has NO LEASE TO RENT WITH A LEASE TO ANOTHER TENANT?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
People are investing their money in houses thinking they will rent them out and become a millionaire. They find that mortgage, taxes, insurance and the profit they want is higher than they thought. So they set the rent amount at a high amount that most people can't afford. The house sits there with no tenant, no income. Solution?, They apply for and take SECTION 8 tenants. So the people not working [with a food stamp card] get to move into a $1400 a month house. And who subsidizes the tenants and pays the owners mortgage? The 53% of people actually paying taxes, that have jobs and paying their own bills.
Meanwhile, a year later, when the tenants move out, the owner discovers that his property has been destroyed. But, no problem with that situation. Section 8 provisions pay to fix the damage. Again, out of the pockets of the 53% paying taxes.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I hope that all the private equity funds buying properties for rental income have those properties destroyed so they lose in the long run. You already see signs of saturation in the rental market and that will put downward pressure on prices.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
After being here almost 2 years and knowing friend now who are property managers, no way in the world would I own and rent a property here in Florida.

Too many move in, move out tomorrow types who have done this to these people.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
As our society declines, so does the rental property business. DH and I have been in the business since the mid-1980's. Twenty years ago we had tenants who respected us and our property at least somewhat. These days? Well, it's like the old joke goes, how can you tell a tenant is lying to you? Answer: Their lips are moving. Folks can afford tattoos, beer, cigarettes and, sadly but more and more frequently, illicit drugs, they just can't pay their rent.

Our last apartment building is currently for sale, and that sale can't come soon enough. I don't care what state you're in (our property happens to be in Ohio), it's the same all over. Landlords have no rights and tenants have to be catered to and have all the rights these days, even when they habitually lie, tear your property up, and have no sense of responsibility whatsoever.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Going through a nightmare now with a absentee foreign owner and is using a property management agency. We have a lease through the end of this month and they are trying to evict us! The owner now refuses to accept our June rent and we paid partial rent for the previous month due to an extremely high electric bill that had to be paid. We made arrangements to pay the arrears.
The cause? The AC needs to be replaced and they won't fix it. Also the water heater started leaking water at the end of April flooding the garage and we had to shut it off along with a high water bill to boot.We haven't had hot water in 6 weeks now. The main bathroom toilet isn't sealed to the ground so it moves when you sit on it.
All of these problems in the house were reported immediately to the property manager to no avail & she tells us the owner has money for repairs! They became verbally abusive to my mother who is elderly because we haven't vacated the premise even though our lease doesn't end until the end of the month!

We passed a credit check & gave a full month's security deposit. We have decided to stay put until we can find another property.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,273 times
Thumbs up I am a fighter for rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryLandord View Post
I am posting this because a background check does no good if the tenants involved have bad backgrounds and no one ever files a report to save the next landlord from going through this and hopefully if you are considering becoming a landlord or home owner in this state at least I warned you.., IF YOU ARE RICH, you will not have the problems I have gone through. but if you are a poor struggling home owner you will find out why so many government owned forclosure signs are going up in this area...!

I called state's attorney last wk to report a crime, vandalism on my rental property, This morning I finally got a return call by an investigator at the Citrus County State's Attorneys office, that a nonpaying vandal tenant, that was given unconditional quit notice and two notices by an attorney, and was told to get off property over a months ago, ,#1"Not a squatter", &#2 "has the right to cut a hole in the shed and destroy the gates and doors and windows to the dwelling if they lose a key, instead of calling a locksmith or the landlord to get another key" when "I asked him to put that in writing", he got rude and said, "I only told you that as a courtesy", he said "he could have hung up on me after telling me it was a civil issue"...!
the Sheriffs Department DOES NOT WANT TO WRITE A report or file charges when vandalism or criminal mischief is done to the property, instead they insist it is a civl matter and a landlord/tenant issue, they only paid one months rents, and no security deposit, yet they squatted and vandalized the property until they knew they could squat no longer without going to court, even though she and her felon boyfriend, had no lease or contract allowing them to stay and she signed rules telling them to leave if unwilling to comply with rules,,, the States Attorney's Office and Sheriffs dept. kept saying I have to take them to small claims court, even though the damages exceed small claims, I have an attorney who also gave them two notices to get off property, and right before they got a court date set in stone, the vandals left right before they got issued any court papers, now I am told without a forward address, no papers can be sent to them to go to court...! While I am stuck paying a fortune in attorney fees, court costs, filing fees, and process server fees, as well as damages to my property, and they had a little dog there, they claimed it died, it looked perfectly healthy two wks prior to their claim, yet they never took it to vet, or pound, and buzzards are flying all over my backyard, and there is it looks like puke and blood stains on the carpet, I think they slammed the dog into the wall, the way they were slamming everything else around in there, there is NO JUSTICE IN CITRUS COUNTY FLORIDA..and if I were a Hotle they would have treated me with different rules, but as a tax paying home owner, they have driven me into bankruptcy and I am praying you will know this before I have to loose my investments.... WARNING TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BE A HOME OWNER OR A LANDLORD IN CITRUS COUNTY FLORIDA, PLEASE DONT LET THE LEGAL SYSTEM HERE, DO TO YOU WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO ME...!
Angry Landlord, I feel for you as I am going through the same thing in Citrus County right now! Thousands of dollars of damage to inside of my rental and the sheriff's office says it is not vandalism! Without a vandalism report my insurance company, Citizens Insurance Co. says they will not pay anything! I have had 2 sheriff deputies out there and was told by them that because it was not empty they could not file vandalism report. The officer yesterday told me that once a tenant signs a lease or rental agreement, the house is his and I have no right to go in it and he can do whatever he wants to do the rental as it is his! He said maybe the tenant drinks and throws thing at his wife and that is why the windows were broken out. I politely and firmly told him he was WRONG! It alarms me that this is the intelligence and level of knowledge our sheriff deputies have concerning landlord-tenant Law. I asked him where he got that information and he said the Landlord-tenant Law. Last night and this morning I went over the FL Landlord-tenant Law and could find nothing of what he told me.
I demanded that he file a claim for 2 lawn chairs they stole for a total of $100.00. I had already earlier in the day went into the court house in Inverness and talked with a supervisor and forgot to get his name, darn. I was the enemy from the instant he laid eyes on me... He started telling what I had to do as far as junk property left in the house and I told him I already had sent a letter of abandonment to the former tenant. He said I hope you sent it certified! I said I do not have to I can just send it 1st class Oh, he said you have his new address? No I said, all I have to do is send it to the last known address which is my rental...from then on I think he finally realized he was not talking to some idiot. I was a landlady in CA for 28 years before I moved here and had 1 bad experience. Since being a landlady here in FL for the last 6 years I have had 4 bad experiences.
I am going to file a citizens complaint with the local attorney generals office and if no satisfaction, then it will go the State attorny in Ocala and I will continue to go up the ladder. I have all the time in the world to do this and I WILL WIN! By the way as of July 1 2013, the law has been changed so in addition to a civil suit, you can file a Criminally aslso for damages.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i notice the freudian, "buy in a nice area and you should have too many problems."

tenants who can't pay still don't want to leave, and some of them don't handle it well-particularly when they are staying in a nice house that they don't want to vacate, with a good rental rate.

as i said, when i first started renting out i gave my tenants christmas gifts, charged below market rates, fixed everything immediately, and kept everything top notch-and had no trouble for years, but the economy is changing.

my last tenant stole my manatee mailbox, my plants, my pool equipment, and my wall sculpture out by the pool. (i was smart enough to not provide the appliances to take this time ) could i sue, sure, but what about actually collecting? i am a firm believer in not throwing good money after bad.

my advice if anybody still wants to be a landlord in tough economic times is 1) don't, 2) if you still insist, don't supply high end appliances, high end furniture, or anything else they can haul away. if they aren't paying their rent, they know they will lose the security deposit so they take anything they can get. i had a friend recently who had parts of the hot tub stolen from his rental unit, rendering the hot tub completely useless to him. (presumably because they couldn't move the entire hot tub).

sometimes you see the stolen items listed on craigslist-including central air conditioners, kitchen cabinets, appliances, etc., but nobody is doing anything about it. i saw a real estate agent advertising ceiling fans from a foreclosure, so i guess i have seen about everything.

now are all tenants like that?- of course not, so i am sure that we will hear from the good tenants who have the landlord horror stories as well.

i just don't have any of those stories to tell.
If things are stolen, definately file a theft claim with police or sheriff! That is Criminal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida