Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,153 times

Advertisements

Is it a specialized job that most people in Florida cannot perform?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Berryjuice, take it from me. Follow your dream, give it a shot, keep a positive attitude.

You have all the ingredients to enjoy your life here where many of the above posters (and others) do not.

Family + Job + Right Attitude + Eyes wide open about your move.

Don't let the Debbie Downer brigade ruin, taint, or influence this next stage in your life. They are miserable, so happy or optomistic people **** them off. Ignore them. They'll go away, hopefully sooner rather than later. Off to Eastern TN and the Carolinas they will go. God help the natives of those states in the coming years!

Last edited by Keeper; 05-07-2009 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: deleted quote removed

Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM

I do not know about your situation but welcome to Shangri-La Florida. I hope it is everthing you always dreamed of. You aren't the first and won't be the last to try your luck on the roulette wheel.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-07-2009 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: deleted quote removed

Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Is it a specialized job that most people in Florida cannot perform?
Are you an INS investigator? Is he coming here on a H1B visa?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Are you an INS investigator? Is he coming here on a H1B visa?
An INS investigator in Florida would be like the Maytag repairman. LOL

Old 05-07-2009, 01:37 PM

19 posts, read 106,931 times
Hey Berryjuice,

I dont know your situation, and even though I tend to be negative on here (I'm just a native FL cracker who doesnt like what FL has BECOME), I wish you luck. I hope you enjoy S FL.

I think Psouth spoke too soon. He, like me, has seen soooo many people move down here and think that their life is going to be wonderful b/c we have warm weather and no snow. If we had a nickel for everytime we heard someone from up north say that. I think that is where Psouth is coming from. But I know you did your research, and you did it for 'family and friends' reasons, which are definitely very good reasons.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2BIgnored View Post
Hey Berryjuice,

I dont know your situation, and even though I tend to be negative on here (I'm just a native FL cracker who doesnt like what FL has BECOME), I wish you luck. I hope you enjoy S FL.

I think Psouth spoke too soon. He, like me, has seen soooo many people move down here and think that their life is going to be wonderful b/c we have warm weather and no snow. If we had a nickel for everytime we heard someone from up north say that. I think that is where Psouth is coming from. But I know you did your research, and you did it for 'family and friends' reasons, which are definitely very good reasons.

Thank You as we do appreciate it, I know Florida isnt UTOPIA, there is no such thing and everywhere and everything is what u make of it...However, one goes where the job is, and again we have friends and family there, and an opportunity for my husband...

It will be a life change but change is good sometimes...

Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2BIgnored View Post
No to Alpharetta, and yes to South Fl? Interesting.
Good choice! I would have made the same one.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:54 PM

202 posts, read 539,143 times
Congrats - you will love it. People on this board are on here all day long and misery loves company. Lots of people out of work, underwater in their house, and just miserable people overall. The economy sucks everywhere right now - get over it. Houses are cheaper than ever (good for you). Taxes and Ins might be on the higher side but no way near as high as some others. No income tax is a huge plus. My wife and I have been down here for 5 years and LOVE it. We are both teachers and would never move back. We heard tons of negative people tell us about S. Fl and also about teaching. They were totally wrong. The only thing we miss is our family but they come down to visit a lot. Have a great time.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
Congrats - you sound very excited and I am a little jealous . DH and I could probably move at any time for his job, but we decided months ago to wait until DS graduates next year. I hope that by then things will be on the upswing!

There is good and bad everywhere, but I need to try it myself. Nothing is permanent! If we move to FLL area and hate it, off we go to somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida