Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:29 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times

Advertisements

I'm in Orlando area and even I don't think about the Mouse! Unless you live down in that part of town it's like it's not even here. It's silly how Orlando has become so identified with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Isn't this the truth!!! I never knew I'd grow to love Florida so much.

Biggest misconception about Florida is that it's all about the 'Mouse'. Screw the mouse. Florida is real, we have real life problems and real live pleasures. It's not vacation but close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Why is it silly, there was nothing in Orlando when Walt Disney went there and built the theme park. Orlando grew because of the theme park. No one in their right mind would want to live in the center of Florida back then, its hot and humid there, people moved to the coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I'm in Orlando area and even I don't think about the Mouse! Unless you live down in that part of town it's like it's not even here. It's silly how Orlando has become so identified with that.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 PM

175 posts, read 464,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
It depends on what part of the country people are from. For the most part people from the North East prefer the South East Coast, more things to do, more high end restaurants shops, etc. And people from the mid west prefer the west coast, quieter, simpler, slower paced, nicer people, more retires, etc. The Panhandle over to Jacksonville are more like Southern Georgia, if you catch my drift.

We are actually just wanting to move to America and when we did a little online quiz Florida came up as the place to be (maybe it was rigged lol). Also was Virginia beach too.

So is Tampa Bay area quieter?
I read that West Palm Beach area was probably not to consider because of crime. (although its close proximity to a few other big cities is appealing).

You will have to forgive me I think Panhandle might be an American term that I dont really know the meaning of, but I gather it might mean extremely slower pace - or is it more derogatory.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Retirees are all over the state. The concentration is higher in certain areas but they are everywhere especially on the west coast. Southeast Florida would probably be the place to be. It has its problems of course but is the most glamorous and probably convenient with Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach all lined up.
Thanks for your info

Just goes to show the statistics online aren't necessarily too helpful. One site showed that 60% of the population in Tampa Bay are under 50.
I googled it last night and it did look lovely, but we couldn't seem to see a city center in St Pets.... Is Tampa Bay more a little like a lot of little towns joined together? Is the St Petes, Clearwater area segregated (distance, class, etc_) from the rest of Tampa?

(Please keep in mind we currently live in a state that has 1 million people so to move to a town/city with 500 000 will probably feel big).

I might look again at Palm Beach and Ft Lauderdale.

HOWEVER - all this may be of no consequence if Florida is known as the criminal state as someone suggests down further

Old 05-08-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I live in a place that most people either didn't know the capitol of Florida or didn't know existed until the 2000 election debacle, so they probably don;'t have an opinion.

I have definitely seen opinions here from residents of south and central Florida about the Panhandle that are dripping with prejudice and pretty dang ignorant otherwise...Tallahassee would fall into the "quiet, secret, backwater" (somewhat) category.

Thanks I dont yet know what Panhandle means so I might look that up

I gather there is a distinct "I like the South" or "I hate the South" (of USA) mentality. We have friends in ALabama so we will come and visit ourselves.

You are in Tallahassee, what area of FLorida do you see as the currently growing, young & family oriented city. A place that is developing for the future?

I appreciate your comments too. Helps put it all in perspective.
OK I am off to google Panhandle.

OH I just found out Panhandle is the 16 western/northern most states of Florida. So I guess that means they have a similar culture to Georgia perhaps? I am yet to work out what that means

Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I think people see it as either some tropical utopia or some backward hick state. Within that framework, Miami is an awesome vacation spot, but living there would be like living in Mogadishu.

Wow - so opinion is one of the other. Perhaps great spot to holiday but not to live. Would that sum up people's opinion (other than those in Florida).

I am interested as to why it would be viewed as a backward hick state?

Thanks for your help

Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2BIgnored View Post
FL is pretty much known as the last refuge of the scoundrel.
truly???

Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
Well, I'm from Alabama, so I'll give this a shot.

I think Florida is the best "beach state" in the country.
If I ever buy in Florida, that will be why. The actual beaches are great, but the rest is mostly very unappealing.
Maybe our love of beaches is why Florida came up in the quiz then.
Why is the rest unappealing to you? If you don't mind saying.

We have friends in Alabama so are definitely coming to stay there for a while too.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
Florida's "best kept secret":

"To find the finest beaches in the world, intrepid Americans might head to Saint Tropez on the French Riviera or perhaps Australia's famed Gold Coast. But the ultimate sun-drenched powder-sand fantasy lies not on some distant shore, but on the coast of Alabama and Northwest Florida."
Coastal Living (May 2008)

But you're only considering Tampa, Jacksonville or WPB...
That is what the online quiz spat out at us. We are looking for a vibrant place, plenty of young people and adults, with great beaches you can live near. Not 8 months of freeze
Hadn't read anything about Alabama beaches.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I've heard people say it's boring down here. I don't think people up north are aware of the crime problems in the state as we are.

Thanks for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida