Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
You can get your windows tinted for around $90.00
I might just do that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:59 PM

239 posts, read 612,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Do you really believe Florida doesn't have allergy issues? Florida doesn't have "seasonal allergies" you are correct, we have YEAR ROUND ALLERGIES which is worse than "seasonal", there is always something in bloom here in Florida.

Stats are people that have lived their whole life or who have grown up in Florida as children are at higher risks for skin cancer compared to someone from New England lets just say. They say we do the most damage to our skin from the sun before the age of 18, which makes since.

You laugh but many people do get a tan by driving in their cars if they don't have window tint. Thats why the derm told me to apply sun screen to the hands, just because your hands are on the wheel and they get sun.

Hmmm ... sorry to get off topic, but I'm curious as to people's experiences regarding allergies. I have them BAD, but they are the worst in fall (goldenrod) and winter (cooped up indoors with dusty, smelly heaters). I find that I am healthiest in the dog days of summer (which we do get on Long Island sometimes). The humidity seems to weigh down the pollen. When I vacationed in the tropics, I think I sneezed maybe once. I don't know if there is scientific data to back up the idea that humidity relieves allergies and I can't look it up because I'm headed out the door in a minute, but does anyone have experience with this?
I might just be weird though; I sweat more profusely when I'm cold than when I'm hot. Explain that one. LOL

Old 05-16-2009, 10:25 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
Hmmm ... sorry to get off topic, but I'm curious as to people's experiences regarding allergies. I have them BAD, but they are the worst in fall (goldenrod) and winter (cooped up indoors with dusty, smelly heaters). I find that I am healthiest in the dog days of summer (which we do get on Long Island sometimes). The humidity seems to weigh down the pollen. When I vacationed in the tropics, I think I sneezed maybe once. I don't know if there is scientific data to back up the idea that humidity relieves allergies and I can't look it up because I'm headed out the door in a minute, but does anyone have experience with this?
I might just be weird though; I sweat more profusely when I'm cold than when I'm hot. Explain that one. LOL
Here is what my allergist told me, when you go on vacation for instance, have you noticed that your allergy issues are gone. She said its because you haven't had the time to develop an allergy to the things in the air. She said if I decided to move to that vacation spot, that with in a few years most likely I would develop an allergy or allergies. During the summer when it rains everyday, I have noticed my allergies are much better, the doc says that is normal, something with the rain not letting the particle in the air that bother people to fly around.

As for the sweating more when you are cold than when you are hot, if its humid outside you will sweat less, humidity doesn't allow your skin to sweat properly for some reason, which isn't a good thing. Sweating is your bodies way of cooling itself, so you really want your body to sweat. When its cold outside its usually dry, so your body then can sweat normally.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:40 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
I might just do that. Thanks.
You really should get them tinted as dark as legally allowed (most shops will offer illegal tint, decline that). It makes a HUGE difference in the temperature inside the car, and prevents the sun from hitting you directly unless you are driving right into it. It takes a lot of the strain off the AC unit so it can cool faster and colder. Also use a sun shade when parked for the front windshield. Tinting the windows is seriously the first thing I do when I get a new car, it helps that much.
Quote:
As for the sweating more when you are cold than when you are hot, if its humid outside you will sweat less, humidity doesn't allow your skin to sweat properly for some reason, which isn't a good thing.
What happens is that in low humidity, the sweat evaporates easily, cooling the skin. With high humidity, you sweat, but the air is so saturated that it doesn't evaporate well and doesn't cool the skin. So the body produces even more useless sweat and pretty soon your clothes are soaked. Yuk. Make sure you drink a lot of water to replenish so you don't get heat stroke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida