Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:37 PM

123 posts, read 553,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We only use Cox for internet and that runs about $55/month for pretty good speeds in our neighborhood. (though something like $12 of that is for 'lifeline cable' because they structurally can't uncouple that from internet service) For tv, we've stuck with Directv for 10+ years now, and I've generally been very happy with that.

In terms of ghetto, FWB has its share of working poor areas, but only 2-3 of them are genuinely unsafe (though nothing like a big city 'hood- mostly property crime and drug sales rather than violent crime) and they aren't the kinds of places most people stumble across when they're looking for relocation housing.
I sure hope it's not one we stumbled upon! haha. The complex looked nice, the lady was nice.. it has a nice pool.. I am sure it will be fine for short-term. They were super flexible with everything, even waived the app fees and charged for only one pet vs. 2, etc.

Perhaps I am thinking wrong, but wouldn't having internet @ $55/mo plus $12 "lifeline" cable, AND Directv be more expensive? We looked @ Directv but it seems it'd save us *maybe* $30 for the first 12 mos until the promo runs out, and we'd have to find internet elsewhere which is seeming to be difficult.. if we did Directv's promo @ about $50/mo plus the internet from Cox, and had to get the "lifeline" cable it'd only save us like $12 a month, at that point I'd rather just bundle it altogether in one and not have separate bills. I hate monopolies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The $12 for lifeline cable is in with the $55 for internet. Bill works out to be like $40/month for the internet itself, $12 for cable issues (if we didn't want it, they'd still charge us the $12 anyways) and a couple bucks of tax.

We probably pay an insane amount by many standards for the Directv but we actually watch a lot on their movie and obscure channels and they had NHL Center Ice years before Cox did.

As for the bad areas I'm thinking of, they don't have those kinds of big apartment complexes. Just be sensible about keeping doors and cars locked because petty theft is common here, even in the nicer areas. (I think the number one crime listed in the local police blotters is 'items stolen out of unlocked vehicle')

Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM

123 posts, read 553,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The $12 for lifeline cable is in with the $55 for internet. Bill works out to be like $40/month for the internet itself, $12 for cable issues (if we didn't want it, they'd still charge us the $12 anyways) and a couple bucks of tax.

We probably pay an insane amount by many standards for the Directv but we actually watch a lot on their movie and obscure channels and they had NHL Center Ice years before Cox did.

As for the bad areas I'm thinking of, they don't have those kinds of big apartment complexes. Just be sensible about keeping doors and cars locked because petty theft is common here, even in the nicer areas. (I think the number one crime listed in the local police blotters is 'items stolen out of unlocked vehicle')
Wellllll..... I always lock my doors anyways, and I live in a very small town that people don't think it's necessary but I always, always do.. right when I get out of the car, *beep, beep* the car.

Now I am thinking to call cox and ask them about the type of package you have.. but after the 12 mos or whatever it'd not really be worth all the hassle.
I was thinking Choice Extra @ 39.95/12 mos but +$5/mo for the "lease fee".. that's where I am getting the savings of approx. $30/mo. But after the 12 mos (and you have to sign a 24mos agmt) it will wind up only being a savings of appx. $10/mos. BUT, if we buy the "HD Access" it's another $10/mos so in the end saves us nothing after 12 mos. Not sure if HD access is necessary but it's all so confusing.

THEN, we don't know if, when we move to a house, the satellite will work as well. THEN Mr. is worried about storms because satellite doesn't work as well in storms.. ugh. It's all a mess. I wish Time Warner was in that area, even though I am not too fond of them, their prices are better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida