Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 118,362 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh - we loved eating at Morrisons with my grandparents in Vero!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 04:40 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,163,150 times
Quote:
I used to eat at Holiday House all the time when I was at Stetson. It is by far the best buffet ever. Everything tasted like homemade and it really got me through being homesick sometimes. I am pretty sure the one in Deland is still there but the one on Lee Road is gone I believe.
The Holiday House on Lee Road has been gone for at least 5 years, probably longer. I used to eat there somewhat regularly in the early '90's. It was ok, I liked their carved turkey. But, their vegitables were nothing but canned. Really, their food was just ok.

Now, Morrisons' food was not good. What it was was cheap. This is why so many of our "Depression Era" grandparents took us there as kids. We simply didn't know any better.

Some of the best buffets around are the brunch buffets at some of the nicer hotels. They aren't cheap, but their food is generally quite good. One morning buffet that won't break your budget is the Sunday brunch at Dubsdred in College Park (Orlando).

Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 PM

573 posts, read 2,435,111 times
I have to agree...the hotel buffets are the best, the country clubs are even better. For around $15 you can get a good buffet, some even offer champagne!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 AM

345 posts, read 972,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
I used to eat at Holiday House all the time when I was at Stetson. It is by far the best buffet ever. Everything tasted like homemade and it really got me through being homesick sometimes. I am pretty sure the one in Deland is still there but the one on Lee Road is gone I believe. If anyone is in the Deland area then I recommend checking them out.
You know, I lived in Emily Hall 3 out of my 4 years at Stetson right across the street from Holiday House and I never got around to going there? Whenever my girlfriend (now wife) or friends or family wanted to go out to eat, we always seemed to end up going somewhere else. And it would have been no fun going alone. So I missed out on it all. One of these days I'm going to have to go there when I'm in the area.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:40 AM

11 posts, read 46,234 times
I too remember it as Morrisons Cafeteria. We used to go quite a bit when I was a kid. As I remember you would get a tray and go along and they had someone dishing out your choices...I live in California now and we have a place here called Hometown Buffet..does Florida not have this chain? Very popular here and inexpensive. They have so much food and such a variety. The best part is you serve yourself and it is just one flat price for lunch or dinner.

I also remember Sizzler, I remember it to be really good, one of my fathers favorite places, was it call Western Sizzler? I dont know why that sounds familiar to me...Seems I remember being able to choose a dessert, green and red jello and chocolate pudding.

Does Florida still have Steak and Shake? How about the (Sambos, Denneys type) Big Boys with the giant boy out front holding a tray or something? I just love some of these posts, I havent thought of some of these things in years...these places dont exist in California.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 AM

84 posts, read 353,830 times
I was RAISED at Morrison's! I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale during the 60's and early 70's. My divorced mother, who raised us 2 kids, took us to Morrison's at least 2-3 times per week.

The Morrison's I remember was on Federal Highway, between Sunrise and Oakland Park Blvd. There was always a huge line, but it was always worth the wait!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,735,391 times
I have nothing but fond memories of eating at Morrison's in Tampa with my grandparents.

However, as we all wax nostalgic about Florida's Morrison's Cafeterias, remember that it was actually an Alabama company, started and headquartered in Mobile. There were Morrison's all over the Southeast, not just in Florida. Pretty much every mall in every large Southern city had a Morrison's. Morrison's eventually bought the Ruby Tuesday chain to get in on the casual dining movement. Ruby Tuesday eventually was spun off from Morrison's, and the Morrison's name fizzled. I think that's sad. Morrison's was way better than Piccadilly, in my opinion.

However, if you ever find yourself in Western North Carolina, RUN (don't walk) to J&S Cafeteria in Asheville. It's every bit as good as the Morrison's of old, and with all the Floridians in the NC mountains every summer, you almost feel like you're back in Florida anyway. (There are other J&S locations in NC, but the Asheville one is my favorite.)

Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,689,279 times
Funny this came up because my father managed Morrison's all over Florida for 13+ years. Some included: Orlando, Leesburg, Gainesville, Ocala, Sarasota, Ft. Myers, and Port Charlotte.

Last edited by Suncoast Guy; 01-03-2008 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Typing Correction

Old 01-03-2008, 05:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,062,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I fondly remember Morrison's. We ate at several on a trip to Florida in 1973. It was at Morrison's that I had my first strawberry pie. What heaven!
It's nice to see this thread still going strong after almost a year.

People really loved Morrison's, myself included.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,004,106 times
We had macaroni and cheese last week, and I asked if we had to make it dry or make nice and delicious, like Morrisons. I loved getting the mac and cheese, and a dinner roll, and sweet potato pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida