Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

I think somebody needs to take a laxative.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM

239 posts, read 612,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You've heard wrong unfortunately. From the horses mouth:
Florida Teachers.Net - The Florida Teacher Website! Teacher chatboards & teacher chat rooms, lesson plans and teaching tools, teacher job listings and career resources, reference desk and curriculum tools, everything for the on-line teacher! If you read through you'll see that many have already been laid off and/or non-reappointed, and other districts have already told the union there will be cuts.
That's a shame. Do you know if it is statewide? From what I've heard, they're not laying people off, but shuffling them around a lot in order to avoid layoffs. I also read an article in the Palm Beach Post about some government money that might or might not be filtered into the school system sometime in July and that districts, until they know for sure whether they are getting said money, are being cautious and not hiring new employees. Broward certainly hasn't posted anything (at least to external applicants), and the postings in PBC are very sparse.
*Sigh* What an inopportune time for a relocation. I guess all there is to do is wait and hope for the best.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:05 AM

It is statewide.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:12 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Sorry to hear that. Having a monkeywrench thrown in your plans always sucks. If your not deadset on Florida, maybe you should open your options. I've spent some time in AZ, it's a great place, just as beautiful as Florida (but no oceans--but no hurricanes either!), also maybe TX, GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
That's a shame. Do you know if it is statewide? From what I've heard, they're not laying people off, but shuffling them around a lot in order to avoid layoffs. I also read an article in the Palm Beach Post about some government money that might or might not be filtered into the school system sometime in July and that districts, until they know for sure whether they are getting said money, are being cautious and not hiring new employees. Broward certainly hasn't posted anything (at least to external applicants), and the postings in PBC are very sparse.
*Sigh* What an inopportune time for a relocation. I guess all there is to do is wait and hope for the best.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:57 AM

239 posts, read 612,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Sorry to hear that. Having a monkeywrench thrown in your plans always sucks. If your not deadset on Florida, maybe you should open your options. I've spent some time in AZ, it's a great place, just as beautiful as Florida (but no oceans--but no hurricanes either!), also maybe TX, GA.
I'm deadset on Florida. I love it and my parents will be moving there sometime this fall or winter and I need to be near them. We're very close and I can't imagine not being able to drop in any time for hugs and a home cooked meal. The ocean is important to me too. I live on Long Island and am used to it and I feel claustrophobic when I am not near it. (Slightly neurotic, here - lol).
I'm not really discouraged. Things will have to improve at some point, and if I have to wait, I have to wait. Also, I seem to be qualified for many of the college instructor positions, so I'll start looking into those as well. If anything, I'll make a temporary career change and learn something new!
I appreciate the advice. A sincere thank you. Not everyone on these boards is so sympathetic to the plight of the wannabe Florida bound!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:18 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
You're welcome. Since you're parents will be down here too, I think your plan will work out somehow. A lot of the ones who move here and it doesn't work out seem to have weak job prospects + no family or friends here. You have the family part so you just need to find another way to make your plan work out.

Quote:
I'm deadset on Florida. I love it and my parents will be moving there sometime this fall or winter and I need to be near them. We're very close and I can't imagine not being able to drop in any time for hugs and a home cooked meal. The ocean is important to me too. I live on Long Island and am used to it and I feel claustrophobic when I am not near it. (Slightly neurotic, here - lol).
I'm not really discouraged. Things will have to improve at some point, and if I have to wait, I have to wait. Also, I seem to be qualified for many of the college instructor positions, so I'll start looking into those as well. If anything, I'll make a temporary career change and learn something new!
I appreciate the advice. A sincere thank you. Not everyone on these boards is so sympathetic to the plight of the wannabe Florida bound!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Not to be negative, but most of the colleges are laying off instructors as well. UCF is even laying off some tenure track professors.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:27 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not to be negative, but most of the colleges are laying off instructors as well. UCF is even laying off some tenure track professors.
How does this effect private schools? If a teacher comes here with an impeccable resumé would they have a chance of getting in at a private school? Those numbers may not apply to them. Although they would still have to root out a job but it may be there. I recall reading the recent unemployment numbers and if broken down there are numbers inside those numbers. I may be off a hair because I am going by memory but they were something like. 16.5% unemployed among minorities and it was about 4.5% for college graduates with other sub categories in between that all make up the national figure.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
How does this effect private schools? If a teacher comes here with an impeccable resumé would they have a chance of getting in at a private school? Those numbers may not apply to them. Although they would still have to root out a job but it may be there. I recall reading the recent unemployment numbers and if broken down there are numbers inside those numbers. I may be off a hair because I am going by memory but they were something like. 16.5% unemployed among minorities and it was about 4.5% for college graduates with other sub categories in between that all make up the national figure.
I would imagine that "if" there was an opening you might have a chance. Finding that opening will be more difficult. And be careful, many (most) of the private schools in FL are Christian schools and have a religion based curriculum and pay very poorly. One of my neighbors teaches at a Christian school and makes the equivelent of $10 an hour because in addition to the classroom teaching they are expected to pick up extra hours coaching, sponsoring clubs, etc. She's thinking about giving it up and just finding an office job that would pay the same but be less stressful.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Quote:
Family is most important to me as well so can relate. I have relatives out on LI and it is lovely out there. Having family nearby will make the move so much easier. Don't know where exactly you are moving to but the smaller metro areas will have much less opportunities for you than being near the biggest cities in the state. On the flip side the biggest universities are outside of the metro areas with the exceptions of USF and UCF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida