Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 03:26 PM

158 posts, read 158,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
In response, I give you New York City, Camden and Newark, NJ -- as well as Detroit. Low crime rates in cold states? Not hardly.
My response was a joke.

Yes, NYC, and ghettos like Newark and Camden obviously have very high crime.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:28 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
alot of states are in the same mess right now . Iam sure it will all come out it the wash. fighting right now does not help anyone.good luck to you all.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
This is very true, I find that none of my co-workers have any desire to leave their jobs to move to Florida. Florida was the retirement destination of the past, not of today.
Oh yes. Your discrete circle of "co-workers" is sure to be a very representative sample to draw from.

Meanwhile, back where "journalists" like to use facts and figures AND analysis:

The NCCCR’s study compiled data from 2.5 percent of the population. The study used data from 2005 as it was the most recent year that data was available. According to the study, retirement migration to the ten most popular retirement states of people age 60+ looked like this:

1) Florida: 16.61%

2) Texas: 6.77%

3) Arizona: 6.60%

4) California: 5.28%

5) Georgia: 3.63%

6) North Carolina: 3.50%

7) Pennsylvania: 3.05%

8) Tennessee: 2.93%

9) Washington: 2.86%

10) New York: 2.55%

While the numbers do not lie, some people have questioned the long-term moving intentions of those surveyed. The study was conducted near the height of the real estate boom when prices in Florida, California and Arizona were spiraling upwards. The hysteria drove many retirees to consider other, more affordable places for retirement.

[...]

Now that prices have come back to reality in the popular southern retirement states such as Florida, Arizona, California and Nevada, it will be interesting to see how age 55+ homebuyers’ attitudes will change. It is our opinion that while Texas will remain a strong player in the retirement destination category, it will not remain the number two destination. When the dust settles on the turmoil created by the recent real estate downturn, we expect to see Arizona and California right where they left off – numbers two and three.

Texas: The Number Two Retirement Destination?

Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The answer to the following question can be found in my exhaustive (and exhausting) posts to psouth, which never seem to go rebutted.

Would you like to take a gander at what percent of workers in Florida are employed in the tourist industry? What about the construction industry?
Yes, I would like to take a look at the jobs in Florida that are (or have been generated) by the tourism and construction industries directly. But please, do not stop there. I would like to see reliable numbers that are indirectly related to these industries, as well. I would like to see the true dollars generated through tourism/construction that have long benefited and sustained the Florida economy and infrastructure. By downplaying the comprehensive status of tourism & construction upon the Florida economy (as you have) is equivalent to someone from Michigan saying that the auto industry is a small tidbit in the overall scheme of that state's economic health... and that just is not so!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
My response was a joke.

It obviously didn't come across that way....

Old 05-25-2009, 03:39 PM

158 posts, read 158,399 times
Then I apologize.

I would never live in a place like NY or NJ unless I had to. I get enough of that in S FL. No thanks, LOL!

Sometimes it's hard to tell what is a joke and what's not on a message board.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:44 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
Default dont worry be happy

dont worry doc its been like someone all ready kicked the hornets nest here.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:52 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
This is very true. People who want to work in the arts go to LA or NY and can't really make it, they end up grinding it out working as waiters (or what have you), getting further and further behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Not everyone CARES to make it in NYC or Boston. That's the problem, TOO many people on these forums assume that everyone wants to move to NYC or Boston or many other areas up there. There are plenty of dreamers in NY who think it's gonna be like an episode of Friends or something. It's not that everyone can't make it, some people just dont want to. Florida isnt by itself on many of these issuse people say on here.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:53 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
how can we achieve world peace when everyone onteh florida forum is so mad at each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboatbill View Post
dont worry doc its been like someone all ready kicked the hornets nest here.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Yes, I would like to take a look at the jobs in Florida that are (or have been generated) by the tourism and construction industries directly. But please, do not stop there. I would like to see reliable numbers that are indirectly related to these industries, as well. I would like to see the true dollars generated through tourism/construction that have long benefited and sustained the Florida economy and infrastructure. By downplaying the comprehensive status of tourism & construction upon the Florida economy (as you have) is equivalent to someone from Michigan saying that the auto industry is a small tidbit in the overall scheme of that state's economic health... and that just is not so!
Well I'm not doing all that research for you. I HAVE provided statistics, however, showing that construction and tourism/hospitality jobs COMBINED equal less than 20% of jobs in the state. EVERY job sector, of course, directly and indirectly effects other job sectors. But to assume like you do that the state has all of its eggs in one basket is disingenuous.

In 2007, tourism represented 19% of Florida's taxable sales, returning $3.9 billion to the state in the form of sales taxes and generating $65.5 billion in direct economic impact.

Again, not insignificant, but while we now have a downturn in taxable sales from a downturn in tourism, that is not a permanent state. If you think that tourism is going to disappear forever, or become "obsolete" you are grossly mistaken. When the economy rebounds "elsewhere" it will also naturally increase tourism and vacations to Florida.

Meanwhile, the state IS trying to make strides in the right direction. Any reputable and recent economic outlook report by any Florida official or economist refers to the continued efforts to branch into different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida