Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,807,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Annerk, I assume you don't pay non ad valorem taxes in those communities--do you get a break on ad valorem property taxes as well?
My bill last year:

Total Just Value: $572,798.00
Save Our Homes Benefit: - $0.00
Other Exemptions: - $0.00
Total Homestead: - $50,000.00
Total Taxable Value: = $522,798.00
Millage Rate: x 0.0173807
Base Ad-Valorem Tax: = $9,086.61
Non-Exempt School Levies: + $187.93
Estimated Ad-Valorem Tax: =$9,274.53

I pay sewer and trash collection on a monthly basis rather than having it as an annual non ad valorem.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Yes, especially if the person is unemployed/underemployed and is struggling to provide anything close to the basics for his/her family, much less the amenities available to only those living behind the "gate".
Frankly I worked hard to be able to afford to live where I do. I lived well under my means (mortgage was under 10% of my income!) in a crappy house and worked two jobs to get the money for enough of a downpayment to afford what I now have. I donate 10% of my income to charity, and I do volunteer work in my community. I'm not willing to sell my house and live in a box and give everything I own away. If you think I'm selfish, so be it. Sometimes life isn't fair.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There's also a correlation between "Summer months" and "school being out" that people tend to forget.

Most home burglaries happen between 3 and 5 PM, they say, which is just the time between school getting out and parents getting home.
When I lived in NJ we had a burglary wave in my town. And you guessed it, two 15 year olds breaking into hosues after school. My question is--why didn't their parents want to know where all the stuff came from? If my son came home with a borrowed video game I questioned where it came from. If he had come home with a computer or entire gaming system, he would have been in BIG trouble.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
A question from someone relocating who has had no experience with gated communities, HOAs (very rare in our area of NJ, if not the state) -- what are ad valorem taxes?
Actually HOA's are very common in many parts of NJ. Considering that "Condo" should be the state bird...

Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,003,067 times
My husband and I moved to S. Florida (from NY) to follow my family in 1997. We never moved down here because we always wanted to live here. But since living here, we have been able to have a decent life (buy a house, pay for our taxes, find jobs, lower daycare expenses, etc). We could never have what we have here, if we still lived in NY. It's a great place to raise a family, beautiful weather (aside from the rainy/hurricane season) and less stress.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 AM

158 posts, read 156,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Awesome insight and post.

I agree, tourism will come back to life long before real good paying jobs do.
There will always be people with money and they will be spending it on vacation just like they always have.
I know many steel workers and one happens to be my father who worked and a factory his entire life, those jobs are gone and are not coming back ever, but tourism will be back as soon as the economy ever rebounds.

Just to share, I own a travel website and for some reason this month of May I have done a ton of business for hotels, car rentals and flights to vacations spots. My commissions were outrageous because they booked for 7-10 days, normally they have been 3-5 days. From Florida to the Carolinas, people with money will always be spending it. I watch my customers closely so I can find commission affiliates to match their likes and dislikes.

No matter what people think or feel, Florida just seems to always be a place where someone with little to no money can move to and always make it. You just do not hear that about other states like you do Florida.

I always post about the 21 year old moving to Florida now I can share a new one.

Couple in their early 20's with a 2 year old packed up and left Columbus, Ohio with 1,000 bucks and a 1998 Caravan. With no town in the plans they ended up in Tarpon Springs Florida of all places. First night in Tarpon he asked the hotel clerk if they knew of any jobs. The clerk tells them you wont find any jobs here. Morning comes and they check out and they ask the same question. The clerk respond by telling him if you can hang drywall, run wire, paint or lay carpet she knows someone who needs help.

To make it short and sweet, based on him working with a contractor here for a couple summers and having some experience, he is now working for 14.00 per hour and worked 65 hours last week. Not too damn bad for not having any jobs in Florida.

I think some people want to be paid to do nothing.

How many people probably turned down this jobs because it is actually work.

They are now looking for a house to rent in Tarpon Springs. Anyone who has any connections please PM me. Young couple, very clean and nice, well mannered and will be perfect renters. Very responsible for their age.
Hey Sunny Days 90, how old are you, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
That's why emoticons exist.
Still going at it I see about my post that confused you... and you're right, like you said, that's why emoticons exist, and if you would have noticed, there was a "" in my post, which implies sarcasm.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinia View Post
My main interest is not the just the weather. I am sorry if you understood my post that way. We have been looking at other places to move to eventually as well. I suffer from SAD and it is to the point that as soon as crops start changing colors in the fall, my attitude, emotions and stress levels are seriously affected. I do not like being depressed 7 - 8 months of the year. Silly me! I despise fall only because it means that winter is coming! I can appreciate that others enjoy the 4 seasons and to some winter is the best. I, however, am not one of them. I do not even like the fall colors because of this and deserts, although warm and sunny, in my perception (which can be totally off since I have not travelled there really) is brown, dry and dead. During the winters, the best I have felt has been when I have been in Florida, visiting my mother and stepfather (another reason I would move there) and the best feeling was being on the beaches looking for shells. I do not need a fancy car, to be wealthy, or a fancy house on the beach or anywhere else.
I hope you enjoy FL

I wouldnt like being depressed either! No fun!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,379,309 times
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My bill last year:

Total Just Value: $572,798.00
Save Our Homes Benefit: - $0.00
Other Exemptions: - $0.00
Total Homestead: - $50,000.00
Total Taxable Value: = $522,798.00
Millage Rate: x 0.0173807
Base Ad-Valorem Tax: = $9,086.61
Non-Exempt School Levies: + $187.93
Estimated Ad-Valorem Tax: =$9,274.53

I pay sewer and trash collection on a monthly basis rather than having it as an annual non ad valorem.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,666,705 times
[quote=KathyA11;8984751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
To put an end to the question of state crime rate rankings.

CRIME RATES

You're comparing apples and oranges. I didn't mention states -- I mentioned 4 specific cities. I'm sure there are many locations in Florida with much lower crime rates than the 4 cities I mentioned.

Judging from the ranking of Florida’s crime rate with other states, the areas of Florida with high crime must be horrendous to make up for the
Quote:
" many locations in Florida with much lower crime rates than the 4 cities I mentioned."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida