Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 PM

191 posts, read 665,581 times

Advertisements

I was just about to buy a home in GG estates in Naples and now decided to not take it even though its beautiful and on alot of land but the crime problem scares me. The a/c compressor was stollen and than the water meter and even the sheriff there says dont put in the appliances and a new ac unit til I am down there and move in as if to say that it will be stollen in the next 4 weeks after closing if the home is left vacant. I dont feel too safe about moving there and with all the vacant homes and forclosures in other florida cities how does one decide and research where it is not only affordable but safe to relocate to? Yes I plan to take reasonable precautions to protect myself but One should not have to live in fear to get a nice house.
I currently live in San Diego and love it here but cant affors any home worth living in here let alone a small condo for 150k-170k. The prices are still high here compaired to Fl. and many other states. So now I just dont know where to move to with all the good info on these boards there is also alot of discussion of the bad schools and the terrible humidity and the crime and lack of kids in Naples and how everything revolves aroung the older people.
Just so you people know, some of us take what you say very seriously in making our future plans so please post factual info and honest info because it can really effect the actions of others. I wouldnt mind knowing the best places to research crime data and school data

I use great schools website and many schools have a 10-9-8 rating in Fl. so why do people there saythe schools are bad?
I looked up crime data on various sites but would like to know where others find this info.
I want to make an informed decision and not just buy based on what a builder or realtor says.
But when you dont know anyone in a certain city or state at some point you need to gather enough info to just make a move.

Here is my criteria:
SAFE.. not perfect. we have crime in San Diego,lots , but I dont feel my home may be broken into by people who make a living off stealingand spend all day looking for homes to invade.

Good Schools: My son will be in 7th grade

Affordable: I can only spend 160k or less

Good Health Care: My mother is 80 and I will be taking care of her

Dog friendly: I just want to be able to go to some local parks and beaches and take my small dog and enjoy the area. I want to be around people of all ages who are friendly and happy and I dont care from what background they are as long as people are somewhat smart and respectful. Live and let live. I am very tolerant and dont want to feel I need a gun or a huge guard dog or whatever to be safe. I want to be able to go out day or night and shop or eat and feel safe that my son and mother will be ok in our new home.

Weather: yes I am spoiled . In my opinion I live in the best climate right now. But I pay a price for it and as I said cant buy a home in San Diego unless its a small older condo and that wont work for all 3 of us. But yes I want a moderate climate if possible

I can go anywhere. Job isnt an issue. I am on disability and we are paying mostly cash.

Please Help . I want to relocate in the next 6 weeks.

Thanks for all suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:17 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
I was just about to buy a home in GG estates in Naples and now decided to not take it even though its beautiful and on alot of land but the crime problem scares me. The a/c compressor was stollen and than the water meter and even the sheriff there says dont put in the appliances and a new ac unit til I am down there and move in as if to say that it will be stollen in the next 4 weeks after closing if the home is left vacant. I dont feel too safe about moving there and with all the vacant homes and forclosures in other florida cities how does one decide and research where it is not only affordable but safe to relocate to? Yes I plan to take reasonable precautions to protect myself but One should not have to live in fear to get a nice house.
I currently live in San Diego and love it here but cant affors any home worth living in here let alone a small condo for 150k-170k. The prices are still high here compaired to Fl. and many other states. So now I just dont know where to move to with all the good info on these boards there is also alot of discussion of the bad schools and the terrible humidity and the crime and lack of kids in Naples and how everything revolves aroung the older people.
Just so you people know, some of us take what you say very seriously in making our future plans so please post factual info and honest info because it can really effect the actions of others. I wouldnt mind knowing the best places to research crime data and school data

I use great schools website and many schools have a 10-9-8 rating in Fl. so why do people there saythe schools are bad?
I looked up crime data on various sites but would like to know where others find this info.
I want to make an informed decision and not just buy based on what a builder or realtor says.
But when you dont know anyone in a certain city or state at some point you need to gather enough info to just make a move.

Here is my criteria:
SAFE.. not perfect. we have crime in San Diego,lots , but I dont feel my home may be broken into by people who make a living off stealingand spend all day looking for homes to invade.

Good Schools: My son will be in 7th grade

Affordable: I can only spend 160k or less

Good Health Care: My mother is 80 and I will be taking care of her

Dog friendly: I just want to be able to go to some local parks and beaches and take my small dog and enjoy the area. I want to be around people of all ages who are friendly and happy and I dont care from what background they are as long as people are somewhat smart and respectful. Live and let live. I am very tolerant and dont want to feel I need a gun or a huge guard dog or whatever to be safe. I want to be able to go out day or night and shop or eat and feel safe that my son and mother will be ok in our new home.

Weather: yes I am spoiled . In my opinion I live in the best climate right now. But I pay a price for it and as I said cant buy a home in San Diego unless its a small older condo and that wont work for all 3 of us. But yes I want a moderate climate if possible

I can go anywhere. Job isnt an issue. I am on disability and we are paying mostly cash.

Please Help . I want to relocate in the next 6 weeks.

Thanks for all suggestions
First, just let me say that regarding weather, I am sure you know that San Diego is known for having just about the best weather in the country, so no matter where else you go in the U.S., it probably won't compare.

OK, that said I recommend Sarasota, FL. The weather here is really beautiful 7-8 months of the year, and our summers, while hot and humid are often mitigated by nice Gulf breezes and/or afternoon thunderstorms. All your criteria can be met here, and Sarasota has a nice cosmopolitan feel for such a small city. Like all cities, we do have some crime, but there are plenty of safe areas. Also, crime statistics do NOT tell the whole story, it depends on whether a place underreports or reports every tiny thing, also one bad area can skew the whole stats - so don't just go by dry statistics.

Schools here are good, we have great health care,and there are plenty of deals in real estate right now. We have dog friendly parks and restaurants. This is an area that has a LOT to offer, I am a Florida native and think it is tops for a place to live in this state in most respects. We do have a couple nice realtors here who will give you helpful and unbiased info, I am sure they will chime in soon.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Always rent at first never buy. Your criteria and "wants" list will likely change after a few months to a year when you finally live here. You can also find a really nice rental that you may not be able to afford to buy thereby being in a neighborhood that isn't perhaps as prone to having "issues". My last rental was a 2400 sq foot 3/2 and a screened porch 24/9...that was way huge for me but in an HOA of houses people paid 385,000 for. Nice pool, clubhouse, tennis etc. Gated and GUARDED 24/7.

Check realtor dot com they have rentals listed there. If you're moving in 6 weeks you have time before school starts if you can find even a short term rental then you can look every day for a more "permanent" rental. There's also VRBO that's all for rent by owners usually for seasonal people but they do annual rents too, and the annual price is usually dropped down quite a bit if they can get a longer lease. It's off season now so there should be some bargaining room.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Another vote to rent for a year. Prices are still probably going to be flat a year from now, and it gives you some flexibility in really learning the right place in an area to live.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:34 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,339 times
To be completely honest, I think you might want to add Albuquerque, New Mexico and Boise, Idaho to your list. Both places are near San Diego for return visits that won't break the bank and both places have temperate winters--Boise colder in Dec/Jan. Both are cheaper and if you're also responsible for elderly parent care it might be easier to move to these communities rather than 3000miles away. Maybe check out both of those boards and see what you think. Is the beach necessary to you or is it "nice to have"?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Boca Raton, Palm Beach Gardens, Weston are all nice cities with good public schools.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 AM

97 posts, read 278,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
To be completely honest, I think you might want to add Albuquerque, New Mexico and Boise, Idaho to your list. Both places are near San Diego for return visits that won't break the bank and both places have temperate winters--Boise colder in Dec/Jan. Both are cheaper and if you're also responsible for elderly parent care it might be easier to move to these communities rather than 3000miles away. Maybe check out both of those boards and see what you think. Is the beach necessary to you or is it "nice to have"?
I actually am trying to move to Florida from Albuquerque, NM (and I grew up in San Diego.) I still have my family in San Diego, but you know, it is just too expensive and too busy for me there now.
We are moving to the Panhandle area. Pensacola has this awesome southern feel with the bays and beaches (that would sort of) remind you of S.D. only, actually, more beautiful. Still a small town feel to it too, and affordable.
So, I would not choose NM over Florida at all.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 AM

88 posts, read 413,719 times
Try the Palm Beach Gardens to Tequesta areas. Having moved from So. Cal to Fla myself several years ago, I think most So. Californian's would like these areas since they are sort of like So. Cal in the 70s and 80s. Currently there are plenty of older homes in the $170 range in these areas. On the East Coast of Fla., try and stay north of PGA Blvd. Sorry, but I am no help on the West Coast except to say the Gulf is motionless if you are used to seeing the Pacific. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida