Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
For the record, my property taxes up here are 3x what they are compared to my home in Florida.

Frank
Just like the taxes on the home we live in in NJ are about 4X the taxes on the home we just bought in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,165 times
where did you get these statistics? I'm just wondering what makes you say that. If florida is 45 out of 50 where is NY? I just read a report that says only 47% of high school seniors graduate on time. That may be the difference - the wording.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Just like the taxes on the home we live in in NJ are about 4X the taxes on the home we just bought in Florida.
That was definetly not the case when I moved from Orlando to New Jersey. Taxes in Orlando were very high.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:38 PM

9 posts, read 26,548 times
Im living in Upstate NY in an OLD house (1935) My property taxes $3,000 a year (1,500 sq feet) too much :-( sale tax 8%

Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaliz18pr View Post
Im living in Upstate NY in an OLD house (1935) My property taxes $3,000 a year (1,500 sq feet) too much :-( sale tax 8%
I live 30 miles from you and mine are double that. I'm looking forward to my Florida life.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I have never lived in New York or New Jersey but reading this board it seems the taxes are very high there. This year most of Florida won't meet the projected tax income needed. Will the taxes go up ? Will we have a state tax ?

States getting whacked by real estate slump - BloggingStocks
Here in my section of the Panhandle (Holt, Fl -- Okaloosa County) , the property taxes went DOWN . Im in a 3 bedroom non-rundown Mobile Home on a 1 acre wooded Lot , unincorporated , out in the woods....and my property taxes for the year will be a rediculous $99.00 ! Back in northern Illinois on a half acre lot, I paid $4300 / yr. Nice savings and much better weather too !

Old 09-19-2009, 05:34 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,415 times
Angry Taxes & Welfare

Up here in good old NY......you have more people on welfare than many other states have people......in NYC alone they claim 1 in 7 is on welfare and/or welfare subsidized......so since Uncle Sam only pays a small portion...guess who pays the rest...

So to answer your question...Florida will never be as high taxed as NY...unless of course they open the doors to all the free loaders up here...

Old 11-15-2009, 05:57 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
where did you get these statistics? I'm just wondering what makes you say that. If florida is 45 out of 50 where is NY? I just read a report that says only 47% of high school seniors graduate on time. That may be the difference - the wording.

That poster makes up their own statistics.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 PM

86 posts, read 221,975 times
I believe we are all in for some surprises this coming year regarding taxes. At least I know we are here in NY. Our State Government and legislature can't agree on what they are going to do. The governor is warning of a huge deficit while the legislature says he is wrong. Either way, I'm sure we will pay in the end. Just not sure how many more fees they can put in place. It's a shame, but NY is really in some deep trouble if the government doesn't find a way to cut expenses. I can't speak to Florida since I have been out of the loop. But, I'm sure many states are dealing with this issue.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
"when you go cheap,you get cheap"....LOL.... The level of education and the healthcare in FL pales in comparison to the Northeast and other parts of the country.

FL schools are among the worst in the nation. FL comes in 45 out the 50 states in students completing HS in 2009. Only 57% of HS students finish school.

I doubt you will ever see taxes that high, but neither will you ever the same quality of services either.

Agree with Tannaples. You pay more but you get more. Here you save on money, but end up paying in other ways like poor education and having to really, really careful as to what doctors you go to.

Which is why many leave the state if they need major surgery.
Yeah and even the people who graduate college are having to leave the northeast in order to find a job and afford to live a decent lifestyle. What good is having "quality services" if people can't afford to stay there and use them?

Also, I have never known anyone that had to leave FL to have surgery. When doctors graduate medical school they move all around this country, so you never know where they are from unless you do your research. I went to a urologist a few weeks ago who is from Boston and I wasn't impressed, should I question the education of all doctors in Massachusetts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida