Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 AM

7 posts, read 42,209 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone...I'm new!
We live in a suburb outside Philly Pa.We visit family Miami often. My hubby & I met there. WE always say if we could just find a neighborhood like ours but in Fla we could easily move back.
We spend time mulling through real estate mags everytime, but we don't know what we're looking at....
We can walk to the park and the kids excellent public school is a short school bus ride or a nice walk. The same kids participate in the simialr leagues because most are run by the township.Which creates a nice circle of friends and support.
WE ARE OPEN TO MOVING ANYWHERE IF THE COMMUNITY IS RIGHT< CENTRAL FLA?
My hubby grew up in Kendall Miami. Which was lovely but involved fairly long drives to every activity and playdate.Also Miami is so fast and flashy.
Can anyone reccomend a real neighborhood? Somewhere in Florida, we're open to the region.I hear alot about Windmere, anything else?
Thanks

Last edited by misdee; 04-09-2007 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: misleading geographic info, meant central fla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Nothing in South Florida. You may like St Augustine or Fernandina Beach (NE Florida).

sunny

Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
A small town feel can be found all over north Florida.
It's just that some amenities might be lacking, and you might be contending with a conservative population. However, South Walton County in northwest Florida seems very progressive.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 AM

7 posts, read 42,209 times
Thanks Cil...I'll begin some research...
Denise

Old 04-09-2007, 08:31 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,133 times
The Conservative population is what keeps taxes low and crime very low.

Try the liberal Miami and see the chaos it is in. How about Bradenton, where gangs literaly rule the streets? Hopw about the liberal-moderate Orlando, where people sell crack on Church Street Station downtown with absolute no fear, thanks to our "lovey-dovey mayor" Buddy Dyer? Orlando's mayor is so incompetent, he telkls his cops NOT to ask crack dealers or rapists about their immigration status, so these guys bond out and head right back out to sell drugs.

We had this one investigation on a local chanell talking about how thios illegal alien robbed a 7-11, got arrested, bonded out (although he was here illegally)m robbed 2 more convenience stores, got stopped bgy cops, gave them a wrong name (no way for the cops to check him out), got released, and finally got picked up by Immigration and the whole thing blew wide open. Now how much more incomptente can Mayor Dyer really be?

The reason the small towns in FL are still nice is because of the people. Once the liberals from NY, NJ, and CT move down, they will be ruined like Orlando, Miami, Ft. Myers, Bradenton, and more recently... Orlando. It is NOT the city that is nice... it has to have the quality Florida native people to make it Good-paying jobs in MIami will be limited and far few and in between.truly nice.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,648 times
In alot of ways the above post makes sense, and it appears that is what happens to areas, when they get overpopulated with people moving from all over. There is just one thing, not everyone will be comfortable in a conservative area, because they will be considered different, and not fit in with the majority of the population, we all know that, that is how life became in the country. So for those that can live in a conservative area, I envy them, alot of these areas, not all but some have less traffic and not overwhelmed with people everywhere you go.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
In alot of ways the above post makes sense, and it appears that is what happens to areas, when they get overpopulated with people moving from all over. There is just one thing, not everyone will be comfortable in a conservative area, because they will be considered different, and not fit in with the majority of the population, we all know that, that is how life became in the country. So for those that can live in a conservative area, I envy them, alot of these areas, not all but some have less traffic and not overwhelmed with people everywhere you go.
Yes.
While I really do not think that a requirement for "being nice" is to have a multitude of quality native Floridians, I certainly understand where Nirvana-Guy is coming from.
I guess compromise goes a long way. We certainly had culture shock when we moved here, but we adapted.
We did not expect the area to change for us, rather we did our best to fit in.
My son's high school has a science teacher who refuses to teach evolution.
But everyone on my son's soccer team managed to get into a good college.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM

121 posts, read 504,023 times
Default Amen Brother

Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post

Try the liberal Miami and see the chaos it is in. How about Bradenton, where gangs literaly rule the streets? Hopw about the liberal-moderate Orlando, where people sell crack on Church Street Station downtown with absolute no fear, thanks to our "lovey-dovey mayor" Buddy Dyer? Orlando's mayor is so incompetent, he telkls his cops NOT to ask crack dealers or rapists about their immigration status, so these guys bond out and head right back out to sell drugs.

We had this one investigation on a local chanell talking about how thios illegal alien robbed a 7-11, got arrested, bonded out (although he was here illegally)m robbed 2 more convenience stores, got stopped bgy cops, gave them a wrong name (no way for the cops to check him out), got released, and finally got picked up by Immigration and the whole thing blew wide open. Now how much more incomptente can Mayor Dyer really be?

The reason the small towns in FL are still nice is because of the people. Once the liberals from NY, NJ, and CT move down, they will be ruined like Orlando, Miami, Ft. Myers, Bradenton, and more recently... Orlando. It is NOT the city that is nice... it has to have the quality Florida native people to make it Good-paying jobs in MIami will be limited and far few and in between.truly nice.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post

Try the liberal Miami and see the chaos it is in.
Yet they have time to fine people 250.00 for having pink plastic flamingos on their lawn.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:37 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
I love these Florida threads!

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida