Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:53 PM

141 posts, read 505,646 times

Advertisements

We've been planning a move back to FL. (we lived there briefly 10 years ago and loved it). We are currently in the Pacific NW and I get severe seasonal depression for half the year. We work from home so jobs are not an issue. The only thing is that my entire extended family lives here and now we have kids so we feel terrible for leaving.

After 1 1/2 years we finally got an offer on our house (yay!) But now that it's "real" I am freaking out and questioning the decision (doesn't help that the weather here has been 80 and gorgeous for two weeks; VERY unusual).

For those that came from up north for sun, I'm curious - as much as you like the sun, does it ever got old? It sounds silly because I get so depressed without the sun, but I wonder. We lived in FL for only 2 years and traveled a lot, so I don't really have a good feel for it.

I know that moving is the right decision -we've had plenty of time to think and debate - but now it's hitting home what a huge undertaking it will be and a very big change.

I guess this ended up mostly being me venting ;-) THanks for any input anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:39 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,326 times
I moved to Florida from the Northeast with my wife and 18 year old son and I can tell you I just try to appreciate every day that I'm here.

I had a life time of misery in the cold...and you can only appreciate what I'm saying if you live in a cold climate and dislike the cold yourself.

I never get tired of the sun or heat (I just try to limit my exposure to it).

As far as extended family...that's a personal thing. Many will visit and you can occasionally go back and visit them. In some cases family may start to follow you down here as years go by.

This really can be an exciting time in your life. Try not to second guess yourself. It's really a lot better to appreciate the moment.

Mikey

Old 05-30-2009, 08:17 PM

31 posts, read 33,258 times
Florida is also a lot different in many ways than it was 10 years ago, in many areas. Something also you may want to consider, other than weather.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:58 AM

558 posts, read 1,834,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
We've been planning a move back to FL. (we lived there briefly 10 years ago and loved it). We are currently in the Pacific NW and I get severe seasonal depression for half the year. We work from home so jobs are not an issue. The only thing is that my entire extended family lives here and now we have kids so we feel terrible for leaving.

After 1 1/2 years we finally got an offer on our house (yay!) But now that it's "real" I am freaking out and questioning the decision (doesn't help that the weather here has been 80 and gorgeous for two weeks; VERY unusual).

For those that came from up north for sun, I'm curious - as much as you like the sun, does it ever got old? It sounds silly because I get so depressed without the sun, but I wonder. We lived in FL for only 2 years and traveled a lot, so I don't really have a good feel for it.

I know that moving is the right decision -we've had plenty of time to think and debate - but now it's hitting home what a huge undertaking it will be and a very big change.

I guess this ended up mostly being me venting ;-) THanks for any input anyway!
You'll be trapped indoors just as much or even longer than up north. I actually spend LESS time outdoors than when I lived in the northeast. The sun is nice but the heat and humidity is awful for most of the year. That being said, stay closer to the shore for those ocean breezes and it won't be as bad. Inland Florida (Lakeland, Orlando, etc) is the worst place to be in the summer.

Moving to Florida will NOT help your depression "issues". You should seek medical care before moving or you will drag those same issues down to Florida with you.

Why not check out Southern Cali? Better weather, closer to your family, sure it is more expensive than Florida but you get what you pay for in life. Florida is where old people go to die and young people go to throw their lives down the drain.

Best of luck.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 AM

26 posts, read 82,378 times
Jacksonville is not a bad city for someone in your situation.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
We moved here from New England and no the sun never gets old. Waking up to sun-shiny days makes a huge difference in one's mood! We too left our family behind but that's what planes are for. Come on down and get happy!!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:51 AM

141 posts, read 505,646 times
Yankee, my "issues" are diagnosed as SAD - I have been told by numerous medical professionals that one remedy IS to move to sunny climates. Look it up.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:04 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
Couple of red flags:

-Don't expect the FL of ten years ago-when you were childless and free-to be the same FL today.
-Family: Worry about your family, not theirs. Are they all staying there just because of you? I'll bet some will follow you down. They will definitely visit.
-Research the schools, insurance and taxes. Don't move here just for the weather.

Personal story: Both my parents were born and raised in Philadelphia, in the city itself. When I was born (60s) they boldly moved a whopping hour away to the suburbs. It might as well have been on the moon.

Thirty years later it was time to retire. They packed up and moved to FL. While family didn't object, it would not have mattered one bit if they had. My folks were going to FL no matter what. They all came to visit. Then they moved to the same town my folks retired to-both sides of the family. I started to call it little Philadelphia there were so many of them there.

Bottom line: Research, research, research. If all looks good c'mon down.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:31 PM

31 posts, read 33,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Couple of red flags:

-Don't expect the FL of ten years ago-when you were childless and free-to be the same FL today.
-Family: Worry about your family, not theirs. Are they all staying there just because of you? I'll bet some will follow you down. They will definitely visit.
-Research the schools, insurance and taxes. Don't move here just for the weather.

Personal story: Both my parents were born and raised in Philadelphia, in the city itself. When I was born (60s) they boldly moved a whopping hour away to the suburbs. It might as well have been on the moon.

Thirty years later it was time to retire. They packed up and moved to FL. While family didn't object, it would not have mattered one bit if they had. My folks were going to FL no matter what. They all came to visit. Then they moved to the same town my folks retired to-both sides of the family. I started to call it little Philadelphia there were so many of them there.

Bottom line: Research, research, research. If all looks good c'mon down.
You are absolutely right about that one.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default My issues are SAD too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
Yankee, my "issues" are diagnosed as SAD - I have been told by numerous medical professionals that one remedy IS to move to sunny climates. Look it up.
but REVERSE SAD, as in Summer SAD. I cannot take heat, humidity, and SUN. Much less common than your SAD and professionals have no idea as to remedies. Stay out of the sun, wear hats/dark sunglasses, go out at night, etc., etc? They know very little about this form of it, but suspect it may have something to do with the eyes. I do find sunshine to be blinding. I could not wear contact lenses in the sun. My eyes would dry right up.

I had these "issues" up North, but only for the few months of summer and not that bad. They have gotten worse living in Florida with year round summer and sunshine. Imagine how you would feel living in a place with year round winter? It's not fun.

Moving is the solution, I know. I just can't just yet. In the meantime I will hibernate as much as possible. I also sit outside in the dark as much as possible too. Sun lamps will do nothing for ME.

Any Summer SAD self help groups in Florida? I doubt that. PLENTY for those with classic SAD. Maybe I can find a vampire group instead.

I am not meaning to belittle you. Sometimes laughter is the best, and only, medicine you can have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida