Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 AM

83 posts, read 382,761 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved down to Pace, Florida about a year and a half ago. We now are expecting our first born in August of this year. When we came down it was for a job and my great Uncle lived close in Gulf Shores, Alabama. He moved to Colarado 2 months ago and my jobs is not going well..and I am wondering if we should move back to Ohio?
I know you need to give an area 2-3 years to see if it's for you, but after being here a year it seems we still have no connection to the community. My job is ok, it has it's ups and downs and pays the bills. All of the people our age, young professionals are either leaving or getting ready to leave.

We enjoy the weather, the beach, and our house, but miss our family and wonder if our kid should be closer to family because we grew up with our famalies close.

Sorry for the rambling, but if you have ever had to make a decision like this could you reply with some thoughts/insight on why you moved or stayed put?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 09:18 AM

93 posts, read 370,176 times
Can'y help with the family part, that is always a tough one but did you consider joing the Elks Lodge or the local Power Squadron, American Legion or the USCG Auxilarly. I'm a boat nut and belong to all the above, have made plenty of new friends and lots of stuff to do.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
What brought you to Florida? Do those reasons still hold?

We live in south Florida and it has taken years to make friends and really get to know our neighbors. One year, in my opinion, is just not enough. Don't let the fact that others are moving sway you or influence you unless you are terribly unhappy with your situation.

Is your child happy? Is he/she pining to be with your family up north or is your child happy and well adjust where you are?

You say your job is not going well - from your profile it says you are in education. Is this for a k-12 or different level, or college? Why is this not going well.

I asked you more questions that you presented, but to give you a better answer I will need a bit more info. Thank you.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
I95

62 posts, read 283,267 times
I read your post a few times and it really seems like you miss your family connections. The fact that you haven't made any significant friendships in Florida doesn't help either. The arrival of a new child can be stressful on a first-time mom without the added stress of being alone... which it sounds like you guys are from your post.

If you think you would be much happier near those family ties, move. If you think you will have no problem getting work when you return, move. But, if you can still imagine happiness in Florida and continue to be open to new connections, stay.

I'm making a decision similar to yours except I'm choosing to move to Florida. I'll be leaving a city where I was born and raised. The city where 95% of my family and friend connections reside. However, I'm leaving a dull, depressed, and scarcity minded place that is crumbling. For us, the option of starting anew far outweighed anything that my home city has to offer.

Good Luck with your decision.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 AM

460 posts, read 2,343,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I95 View Post
I read your post a few times and it really seems like you miss your family connections. The fact that you haven't made any significant friendships in Florida doesn't help either. The arrival of a new child can be stressful on a first-time mom without the added stress of being alone... which it sounds like you guys are from your post.

If you think you would be much happier near those family ties, move. If you think you will have no problem getting work when you return, move. But, if you can still imagine happiness in Florida and continue to be open to new connections, stay.

I'm making a decision similar to yours except I'm choosing to move to Florida. I'll be leaving a city where I was born and raised. The city where 95% of my family and friend connections reside. However, I'm leaving a dull, depressed, and scarcity minded place that is crumbling. For us, the option of starting anew far outweighed anything that my home city has to offer.

Good Luck with your decision.
this is also why we are moving to Florida! All of my family is here in Illinois, but we still feel like we would enjoy moving away. I hope you and your family can make the right choice.

Jen

Old 04-11-2007, 05:58 PM

30 posts, read 227,701 times
IMHO you should try and stick it out for a little longer....I understand the family issue is a big one and hard to dispute. Still though, I would give it a bit more time, don't forget the snow and bitter cold!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
One of my best friends moved to Myrtle Beach about 10 years ago, we took him and his family there 15 years ago on vacation and they loved it so much that is all they talked about.
They moved down to MB and lived there for less then 1 year and missed there family and moved back to Ohio.
Well, after being here a year or more they decided they made a bad move, they wanted to be around the beach and things they liked and wanted to raise there small kids in warmer weather, which was part of there decision in the first place.
They moved back to MB leaving allot of family and grandparents here and have been there for quite a while now, they love it and will not be back to Ohio I am sure.
Family is important, very important, but Mike told me that most of his family comes to his home in MB several times a year for vacation and he is only 10 hours drive from here.
I did ask him the questions your trying to figure out because we want to move to Florida in 2 years, he told me you have to live your life doing the things you want and what is best for your immediate family, then he added we see them just as much as we did living in Ohio because vacations are free for them all here !!!
I cannot help you because I do not know the feeling your having yet, I am sure I will, but you really needd to stick it out for while longer and do not do what Mike and his wife did, once they came back here, they knew quickly they made a mistake and wasnt long they were back in MB.

My suggestions would be this.

You have to decide what is best for your child overall. Since the baby is not born yet, you do not have to deal with the school issues yet.
My wifes parent raised almost all of there kids in Florida except the two youngest, the older ones all tell me how nice it was to be raised in warm weather, all of them except my wife live in warm weather states.

Do not make a quick decison, take your time and make a wise choice that has benefits to all of you including the baby.

Good Luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: