Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times

Advertisements

In our case, we love to walk on the beach until about 9:00 am then return just before sunset for another walk and swim. We also enjoy taking out the picnic blanket just before sundown and enjoy a little wine, bread, and cheese.

The days of hanging out on the beach to bake all day ended many moons ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
I must admit that even though I live within 30 miles of the beach I don't visit that often. Mostly because I just don't take the time out of my schedule, I don't like how I look in a swim suit anymore and I can't take the sun in the heat of the day anymore. Usually, I just visit when we can take a long weekend or week and spend it in a hotel or condo on the beach. When I do, here's what I love about it......

Long walks in the surf and sand.....
The theraputic effect of the salt water.....
Finding mom and pop restaurants and eating fresh seafood....

Playing in the waves - makes me feel like a kid again.....
Getting a few friends and playing ball in the waves - makes me remember I'm NOT a kid.......

A tropical drink while viewing a gorgeous sunset......
Relaxing under an umbrella and dozing off with the sound of the surf and children's laughter....

Enjoying God's beautiful creation becomes a worship experience for me.....

So.....
I go home peaceful, relaxed and thankful.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's been a while since I have been to one, but what's there that people seem to like so much? What can you actually do there? Around here you can take the boat out, or launch an inflatable, rowboat or kayak and paddle around the mangroves and compare mosquitoes, or go fishing or diving or etc. But if someone went to Miami Beach what would they do? It's just a desert-like strip of 'sand" full of people. You sit in the sun and get skin damage. Maybe you can swim in the water with the jellyfish. All this for a one-hour drive and no place to park. Am I missing something here?
I think if your activity ends at the water line it is kind of a bore in a short time. If you like boating and fishing, skiing diving and so on it's great. I live walking distance and haven't been to the beach, honestly, in years. That is what is taking me to north Florida. I like the idea now of land to wander on rather then be by water. I don't even want to live on a lake. I have been tired of the ocean for a long time. To a new comer it probably seem nice but it gets old pretty quick. Ask the average resident the last time they were at the beach.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I was born and raised here, and when I was younger used to love to go and lay out in the sun and get really "brown" But after my dad and all of my relatives got skin cancer when older I quit doing that. I personally don't go to the beach, there is nothing to do there (and I don't swim!), but I enjoy looking at it once and awhile and love the smell of the salty air. Best thing to do for me is just go to a beachfront restaurant and eat and drink wine and watch the sun go down!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I grew up on both coasts, and missed the beach the entire time I lived in Colorado. As someone else said, you're either a beach person or you're not.
I rent near the beach now, and hope to buy about a mile away from it.
When we move, the spouse hopes to some day buy a boat--that's what he likes, the boat scene.
I walk the beach every morning at sunrise, and sometimes at sunset.
I love seeing the wildlife, the sun on the sea oats or on the water, the change in tides and shoreline.
I like to swim, too, but the Gulf is seething with all kinds of critters and sometimes I feel a bit wary of all of them.
The beach here is really beautiful. It feeds my soul whenever I'm there.
For me, it's not so much a place to *do* things.
It is what it is, and you take it in.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Quote:
It's been a while since I have been to one, but what's there that people seem to like so much? What can you actually do there? Around here you can take the boat out, or launch an inflatable, rowboat or kayak and paddle around the mangroves and compare mosquitoes, or go fishing or diving or etc. But if someone went to Miami Beach what would they do? It's just a desert-like strip of 'sand" full of people. You sit in the sun and get skin damage. Maybe you can swim in the water with the jellyfish. All this for a one-hour drive and no place to park. Am I missing something here?
Not a whole lot to do on the beach. As a kid, I grew up not even 30ft from the ocean, living all over the US has bases and embassies. I spent 1/2 of my life by the sandy beaches.

All I got from it was a ton of "sun spots" on my back and shoulders and some fun memories of surfing.

Really, it is a hassle to go to the beach during the summer months, when it is crowded. I only like the beach nowadays on slightly cooler NIGHTS! Then the Beach is sexy and fun. But during the day... skin cancer, sand in my car, and sunburns is NOT my idea of fun!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
What really gets me about the beach is how restrictive it has become. No parking, can't take a beach umbrella, or cabana, can't use atv's (although they seem to be everywhere) and there's not that many good looking girls either. Too many people and kids screaming and trash everywhere. Not very peaceful or relaxing. Don't get me started about the "beached whales" in bikinis or the raisin-like sun worshippers, we have tons of them here too!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:20 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
What really gets me about the beach is how restrictive it has become. No parking, can't take a beach umbrella, or cabana, can't use atv's (although they seem to be everywhere) and there's not that many good looking girls either. Too many people and kids screaming and trash everywhere. Not very peaceful or relaxing. Don't get me started about the "beached whales" in bikinis or the raisin-like sun worshippers, we have tons of them here too!
Not true of all beaches. (thank goodness! )

Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 PM

99 posts, read 351,167 times
Default No No No Please No

Tallrick I seem to remember liking most of your posts, you seem like a good
guy, but you're killing my buzz, I am flying out to Ft.Myers in the morning!!

Keep your fingers crossed that I have a good time!! It's usually south beach, the yucatan, or cabo for me but this year I have to settle for Fort myers to visit her brother while we save for the wedding. I'm logging out, I will check the boards when I get back, hopefully my trip will result in some good press for SW Florida. Reading some of these threads I feel like I am going on vacation to HELL !!! I was in Ft myers when I was 15 and wasn't too impressed, but right now I can't be picky so here we go..

Old 04-11-2007, 02:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Don't worry about it, Florida is usually a nice place to visit. And the weather isn't bad yet, so your experience will depend on who you meet or choose to look at! I bet you'll have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida