Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfromredtide View Post
I'm sorry but you really need a change. I love the beach! you want to know what I do? Go to the beach in the morning with my dogs, my dogs wait for me at the waters edge. I have my mask, fins, snorkel and speargun. I swim out about 100 yards and find my either a Hog fish or a Grouper if I'm lucky and bingo I have dinner for my wife and daughter. This is why I moved to the Keys, if you can't enjoy it you really should move.If you don't like the beach, the heat or hurricanes, Florida's not for you.
I second the MOTION !!

He is miserable, cannot handle alittle heat, don't like the beach or water etc.
If I was that miserable I would do something about it.

Well that is about 4 total people in more then 40 years of me going to the beach that doesn't like the beach.

I have been in the ocean from Key West to Maine, Portland to San Diego and NEVER got bit by anything. Ever !

The beach, whats there to do ?

Goodness... You are in deep doo doo

Another nice positive thread !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 02:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Oh no, this has turned into a positive post!! !
lol
Yesterday I walked the beach with my dog like we always do. I ended up standing there transfixed as a pair of bald eagles flew overhead in the sky, and a pod of dolphins swam past me in the bay.
It pays to get up early.
But I agree that sunset or nighttime (bonfire!) is also good for the beach, especially if there is a full moon.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 AM

672 posts, read 905,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnywabbit! View Post
I never understood why people tan. Even with sunblock, it still damaging the skin.

Only on a rare shady afternoon do I get to enjoy the beach. Plus, no pets are allowed.
My Mom must have been ahead of her time. She didn't like the sun and hardly ever went to the beach. I have a picture of her at Jones Beach (rare) back in the 1940s. She is under a big umbrella, wearing sunglasses and a big hat. She was almost fully clothed, with some kind of white goop all over her face. No, it wasn't a joke. She told me that's what she wore when she "had" to go to the beach. Even more amusing is the fact that she was only about 22 years old in this picture. I can remember her saying many, many times that the sun is very bad for your skin.

However, she defintely reaped the benefits of this when she was in her 50s and 60s. She had beautiful skin and people always commented on that and thought she was about 15 years younger than she actually was.

I guess Mom was right.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:41 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I second the MOTION !!

He is miserable, cannot handle alittle heat, don't like the beach or water etc.
If I was that miserable I would do something about it.

Well that is about 4 total people in more then 40 years of me going to the beach that doesn't like the beach.

I have been in the ocean from Key West to Maine, Portland to San Diego and NEVER got bit by anything. Ever !

The beach, whats there to do ?

Goodness... You are in deep doo doo

Another nice positive thread !
I've been sick from swimming in the East River, bitten by a barracuda in Key West, Knocked out by a rock in San Diego, lost 60.00 (and a girlfreind )at jones beach, gotten Sea Lice in Palm Beach, almost drowned in the undertow in Virginia Beach, shot at in Grenada (long story)..................... and I still love the beach

Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyboy View Post
I've been sick from swimming in the East River, bitten by a barracuda in Key West, Knocked out by a rock in San Diego, lost 60.00 (and a girlfreind )at jones beach, gotten Sea Lice in Palm Beach, almost drowned in the undertow in Virginia Beach, shot at in Grenada (long story)..................... and I still love the beach
My Dad said he used to swim in the East River --- in the 1920s!!!!!! Why the hell were you swimming there? It's been polluted for DECADES. I thought everybody knew that by now.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Every Saturday we take the dog to the beach (Venice has an AWESOME dog beach). Sometimes we go to Palma Sola and take the jet-skis out, sometimes we go to the Estuary in Palmetto & fish, sometimes we go to Ft. Desoto.

When I lived in the Keys we went snorkeling every single day. We looked for sunken treasure, caught lobster for breakfast, enjoyed the reef & the awesome reef fish.

There is just sometime about getting your toes wet (on purpose) and breathing in the clean salt tang.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:33 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,622 times
Hockey mom......................... I'm 80 years old

just kidding, it was a bet................. I won........... I collected my winnings in a semi-private room at L.I J. hospital.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,380 times
I can not believe no one said after dark skinny-dips! hahaha

I love to walk on the beach and feel the hot sand between my toes! It is fun to watch the kids bury their dad too!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,942 times
Talking Plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
I can not believe no one said after dark skinny-dips! hahaha ....
Or for that fact, my favorite activity.
The gentle sway of the waves, ahhh!

There are plenty of semi to really isolated beaches just north of Palm Beach.

What's there to do?

What's there not to do?

Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyboy View Post
Hockey mom......................... I'm 80 years old

just kidding, it was a bet................. I won........... I collected my winnings in a semi-private room at L.I J. hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida