Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I agree, your body adjusts over time. Once you've experienced this, you can never go back to snow and ice.
My husband has been here for 5 years. When he went back to NY in November, it was in the 40s. He wore just a very thin jacket with short sleeves under it and said it felt nice in the 40s. That is exactly what he used to wear when he lived in NY.

The winter nights when it gets into the 40s, I sit outside in lanai in just my pj's and slippers. It feels so GOOD to me. When I went back in January and it was 9 degrees, I just wore what I used to wear (kept all my winter clothes) and wasn't cold at all.

Maybe some people just have some kind of internal body heat where it doesn't bother them as much. I just cannot adjust to heat at all. Each year gets worse, not better. I now find 70s to be hot.

It's just who you are, I think.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Paradise transplant, LOL.
Well I admit it, as I always have. I have no desire to have hordes of new people moving down here. But I'm also interested in providing unbiased information to people from other states, on this forum. And, as Mike said, it's not true that it's hot 9 months out of the year here. Maybe it is in Naples, but Naples isn't the whole state. Right now (at night) I don't even have my AC on and I feel fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Just once, I would like a paradise transplant admit that maybe, just maybe, there are people who actually LIKE the 4 seasons (yes, cold and SNOW) and could care less about year round summer, fishing, swimming, bla, bla, bla. There just might be millions of people who would not want to move to Florida.

One person. There has to ONE person.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Maybe some people just have some kind of internal body heat where it doesn't bother them as much. I just cannot adjust to heat at all. Each year gets worse, not better. I now find 70s to be hot.

I think so, because as a Native Floridian, I have never adjusted. But my Northern European mother who has been here for 30 some years now, is well adjusted to the heat and humidity (actually gets cold when it drops to 60 degrees. She can do yard work mid day in the middle of August for hours, I wouldn't last more than 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
And, as Mike said, it's not true that it's hot 9 months out of the year here. Maybe it is in Naples, but Naples isn't the whole state. Right now (at night) I don't even have my AC on and I feel fine.
That is true North Florida does get a break from the heat, the last few winters (with the exception of this year) the cool fronts usually didn't make it past Orlando. I think it was in 2007 Miami had 10 months total combined days (not all together) 80+ Temps. But north Florida was cool during that winter.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Just once, I would like a paradise transplant admit that maybe, just maybe, there are people who actually LIKE the 4 seasons (yes, cold and SNOW) and could care less about year round summer, fishing, swimming, bla, bla, bla. There just might be millions of people who would not want to move to Florida.

One person. There has to ONE person.
Actually many times it is someone that does not like the heat telling everyone else that they are lying if they say they like it hot all the time.

This is very evident when someone from NY starts a thread in the Florida forum for that very reason.

I have mentioned personal preference many times when this subject comes up again and again and you dismissed it and commented "how could anyone like the heat all the time."

Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 PM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Native Floridian here, I love cold weather, I love it when it dips into the 50s or 60s. So we all don't hate the cold. I have found that when someone complains about it being cold if it drops below 70F its usually people that have moved to Florida from the north. I wish we had the temps of the 80s when South Florida would actually stay cool 70s or less from November through April.

Same here Doggiebus. Native here, and I like it a lot when it gets cool. I cant stand the constant heat and humidity. I think you may be confusing some "Floridians" as recent arrivals from the north who were tired of seeing snow, so they moved down here where they never have to see snow again. So forever, til their blue in the face, even if it's 90 degrees and 100% humidity, they'll say it's better than shoveling snow, whether they mean it or not.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple_91 View Post
It seems like most Floridians hate the cold, snow and winter. Anything below 50 or 60 is too cold for them! Are you guys crazy?
I would take a 70 degree weather than 90s with extremely humidity!

You guys are on A/C most of the year, and you sweat as soon as you go out during the summer... + thunderstorms and rain every day during the summer! + Hurricanes, flooding, lightnings, tornadoes etc.

GOD BLESS 4 SEASONS !!

New York City has 10000% better weather than Florida !
And yes, we have 234 sunshine days/year and winter for 2-3 months! And NO, we don't have huge snowstorms!
Then I guess you won't be moving to Florida. Does your post have a point?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Quote:
My husband has been here for 5 years. When he went back to NY in November, it was in the 40s. He wore just a very thin jacket with short sleeves under it and said it felt nice in the 40s. That is exactly what he used to wear when he lived in NY.

The winter nights when it gets into the 40s, I sit outside in lanai in just my pj's and slippers. It feels so GOOD to me. When I went back in January and it was 9 degrees, I just wore what I used to wear (kept all my winter clothes) and wasn't cold at all.

You sound just like me

Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple_91 View Post
You're such a liar! It's winter in DEC, JAN, FEB!
March = SPRING
OCT = FALL

For few days, it could be 50's and 60's during midwinter!

FLORIDA HAS HOT & VERY HUMID weather for 9 months!
At least NYC has 6 months of mild/warm & beautiful weather!
wrong, fl weather is only hot and very humid from late may to early october, thats about 4 months. the other 8 are beautiful, highs ranging from the 50's (rarely) 60 (less rare, but not too often) 70s (often) 80's (often). I love FL weather, Its much better than being snowed in every winter, gaining weight and turning pale!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
I was used to 98 degree days with 100% humidity living in Central Florida, Then I moved to Tennessee and got used to seasons, cold weather, and snow..

Now I'm moving to Texas, I don't know if I can take the heat again, I'm afraid the cold may have turned me into a heat-wuss.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
wrong, fl weather is only hot and very humid from late may to early october, thats about 4 months. the other 8 are beautiful, highs ranging from the 50's (rarely) 60 (less rare, but not too often) 70s (often) 80's (often). I love FL weather, Its much better than being snowed in every winter, gaining weight and turning pale!
I tell ya... The stories I hear about Florida makes me wonder if I was just in a dream daze when I lived there or if the people, climate, surroundings have actually changed since I left...

Florida has two seasons. Hot, Not so hot.

Most people would say Summer/Winter but no...

I guess you could call Spring "Rain Season" but it still gets hot and humid as hell...

In order to be fall or winter, it has to get cold and the trees and grass has to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida