Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

"Happiness survey," by state:

The Happiest States of America - Economix Blog - NYTimes.com

AHIP's Bridge for Well-Being, Health, and Fitness (http://www.ahiphiwire.org/WellBeing/Tools/Map.aspx - broken link)

So um, yeah, there are PLENTY of happy people in Florida. Just not on this board, which is depression central.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 PM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I felt the anger back in 2003 when I was sitting at my computer in Alexandria, VA, investigating the prospect of moving to Florida. This was long before the housing disaster, long before any economical cave in. I'm going out on a limb here but I think it's an education thing. Floridians handle themselves in a way that people from other parts of the country just don't. They whine, kick, scream, and blame everyone and everything for their lot in life. Florida is Florida. It's just the way it is. Get on with your life.

Oh please.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Hold everything.

Verobeach, you whined for how long that you couldn't sell your Florida house? I understand that you are stuck there but starting a confrontational thread is not helping you or anyone else. I think you need to get on with your life.

Sorry, but that needs to be addressed.

I don't think there is anything wrong about complaining or telling why you love an area. That's why this forum is here. But doing it with an ulterior motive, such as getting people to move somewhere so you can get the heck out is sinister.

While I'm here, as a former Florida resident, know living in Knoxville, Tennessee, I will address living in The South.

I don't like living in the rural areas. We rented in the far reaches of Knox County (about 15 minutes away from the city!) and I did not care for the attitude of some of the people. We ended up buying a house in the city (it doesn't look like the city, Knoxville is not very populated and it is spread out) and it has been fabulous.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Are you nuts? What ulterior motive? It took me 4 years to adapt to my Floridian status and now I'm quite happy thank you. I'm just tired of the down-on-my-luck, woe-is-me crowd making like Florida is the only place in the USA with a bad economy. And jeez, you have the time to research my previous posts? I'm quite flattered. Thank you. :-)

Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 PM

"Floridians handle themselves in a way that people from other parts of the country just don't. They whine, kick, scream, and blame everyone and everything for their lot in life."

^^^I've seen grumpy retirees with their NY accents flat out yell at cashiers before because their 25 cent coupon had expired. I wouldnt do that, my family wouldnt do that. But I see people like I mentioned above in grocery stores throw fits before. I was embarrased for them, that's how bad some of them are. You mean native Floridians or Florida residents?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,020 times
I clean houses so people are always nice to me and happy to see me here in Florida.... I dont even mind the snowbirds.... Extra income for me 6 months. Even when they get grumpy and complain because I left a hair on the bathroom floor, I just smile, remain positive and realize that we all have grumpy days. Alot of people on these Florida forums are retired, older, lonely and bored.... so being grumpy, hateful and bitter is a form of entertainment to them... just be nice to them and realize it may be Us someday or someone we love....

Old 06-08-2009, 06:20 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Are you nuts? What ulterior motive? It took me 4 years to adapt to my Floridian status and now I'm quite happy thank you. I'm just tired of the down-on-my-luck, woe-is-me crowd making like Florida is the only place in the USA with a bad economy. And jeez, you have the time to research my previous posts? I'm quite flattered. Thank you. :-)
I'm just surprised you started this thread, considering I've seen you defend Florida, now you acknowledge the fact that people seem to be unhappier here more than anywhere else (based on your "research" of other states' post). I attribute it simply because it's too hot and humid. When people are angry, how can they cool off? Where to they run, the nearest fan or AC vent? Even up north, people get all worked up in the summertime. I thought there were posts already like this discussing how heat affects people's attitudes and moods.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM

Ngrome, I met a guy (a friend of a friend) who is from Massachusetts. He was nice, and a cool guy, teased him a little bit about his accent, and about the nicknames we have for those "always in a rush, get-out-of-my-way attitudes" people from MA seem to have and cant shake, even after they move down to FL.

Anyhow, he said, and he was totally honest with me, that the reason he believed there are so many a**holes in Orlando (we were speaking about Orlando specifically, but I bet this could apply to other cities throughout FL) is because people from places like Massachusetts go CRAZY in our FL heat. He says they cant take it (folks that he knows from MA that live in FL) and they go crazy, they drive like idiots, they act like a**holes, etc... and he really believes that's part of it. So I think you are on to something. The heat and humidity can take a toll on people and it may affect how they act towards everyone.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default It's the heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Ngrome, I met a guy (a friend of a friend) who is from Massachusetts. He was nice, and a cool guy, teased him a little bit about his accent, and about the nicknames we have for those "always in a rush, get-out-of-my-way attitudes" people from MA seem to have and cant shake, even after they move down to FL.

Anyhow, he said, and he was totally honest with me, that the reason he believed there are so many a**holes in Orlando (we were speaking about Orlando specifically, but I bet this could apply to other cities throughout FL) is because people from places like Massachusetts go CRAZY in our FL heat. He says they cant take it (folks that he knows from MA that live in FL) and they go crazy, they drive like idiots, they act like a**holes, etc... and he really believes that's part of it. So I think you are on to something. The heat and humidity can take a toll on people and it may affect how they act towards everyone.
and it isn't just people from cold climates coming to Florida. It happens all around the country in the the summer. Long hot summer; Watts riots, the Bronx is burning, etc., etc.

I once had a Criminal Law Professor who was a former DA in NYC. As he said, how many riots do you hear of in a blizzard in February?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,753,710 times
closed for Moderator's review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida