Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.14%
NO, way too hot & humid! 64 41.56%
Not sure 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Well it definately seems to be a trend or fact that the older people get, the more warm they like it..... My grandparents were in their 80s living in the West Palm area and I'd go down to visit and they'd have the heat on in April!!!

Fortunately they had a dual zone thermostat in their house and I was on the opposite end, but MAN!!! I'd go over to their end to be social and melt....
I think when you get older your preference just intensifies. If you didn't like the cold when you were young, you are going to like it even less when you get older. The reverse is also true. I seriously doubt that if you are say, an avid skier when you are young, you are doing to do a complete turnaround when you get old and abolutely hate the snow and cold. Follow?

As a child I hated summer, heat and humidity. I am 60 now and find that I can tolerate it even less than when I was young. You ability to tolerate either heat or cold, whichever your own internal body chemistry prefers, just increases when you get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Until the snow plow just pushes all the snow up against the people parked on the street.
Then they have twice as much to shovel out.
Where I grew up, we had these detailed rules about winter on street parking where if you lived on, say, a designated north-south street you were not allowed to park on the west side of the street on odd numbered days between midnight and 6:00am or in the east side of the street on even numbered days on those overnights in order to make sure the plows had space to do their jobs. Massive pain in the posterior to have to deal with especially in area with limited driveway space.

I was out running at 7:00am this morning before work (as I'm not one of those Gen Xers who had stock options they could cash out on before the dot com crash, I do need a wage stream coming in) and there were a lot of people out and about on road and trail at that time before it got insanely hot- other runners, power walkers, dog walkers, cyclists, golfers on the range and putting green.... Miles 2-4 of my run were hot but bearable, and when I got back in, I cranked up the ceiling fan to high to max out on evaporative cooling, had a big glass of gatorade and then got ready and headed off to work.

No big deal with the heat. I'd rather deal with that then the winter days when I'm out running in the mid 30s and I end up shaking from the cold for an hour after coming back inside.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 AM

50 posts, read 167,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
90 + degree temps for over 1/3 of they year to me, as well as namy others, is atleast 109 uncomfortable days. That's all. To me, I believe it, but I am almost suprised by that number.

To me, and I would think to most people, temps between 72-77 are PERFECT. Not hot, not cold. Bodies should be most comfortable when the weather is comfortable. I cant imagine saying, you know 77 is nice, but I'd rather it be 90. To me, a better climate is where the temps are the most comfortable for the most amount of days, not where it doesnt get cold at all. If you ask most folks, temps around 72 are the most pleasant, but I think some people are stubborn, and will say 90 is more comfortable to them til their blue in the face because they moved here without knowing how truly hot it gets, they just dont wanna see snow again.
I'll agree with you that upper 70's are wonderful. I don't think I've heard anyone say they actually *prefer* 90's over 70's. But I think there are many others like myself that are much more intolerant of cold than they are of heat. It seems that no matter where one lives, you're going to have to tolerate some extremes in the weather at least some of the time - either long periods of heat with very little cold, a mid-range mix of some heat, some cold & a good bit of in-between, or longer periods of cold with less heat. If you're able to deal with some cold winter weather, then the mid-range probably works great for you. Not everyone wants to deal with cold weather, even if it is only for a couple months. For some, the longer period of "perfect days" is not worth putting up with even a short time of actual winter weather.

For me, I'll trade off some of those pleasant 75-80 days for higher temps, IF that will help me avoid days that are below 55. I can tolerate temperature extremes on the hot end much better than I can on the cold end. No, 95+ isn't "comfortable", of course it's not -- but it's tolerable (to me) & I can still get out & enjoy my life. I agree with Mike -- to me, 90 isn't bad, sure it might be nice to be just a little cooler, but a flat 90 isn't too bad.

But anything below 60 & I'm getting a bit uncomfortable, below 50 - I'm very uncomfortable, below 40 & I'm utterly miserable - especially if that temperature lasts for any length of time without warming back up.... So, since there isn't any place I can go where it will be 75-85 year-round day & night, I'll choose longer periods of hot weather if it allows me to mostly avoid the colder weather that I just cannot tolerate.

I think Rhett had a point too -- I find myself becoming more & more intolerant to cold as I get older (pushing 50 now). Though even as a child, I never could stand the cold very well.

LOL - again, agreeing with Mike, we usually only ran the A/C roughly from around June to Sept, but then, we tend to keep the A/C thermostat just above 80 most of the time while I know some people crank it all the way down to 72 or less in order to be comfortable. I guess I'm like a gator & I must be cold-blooded or something

Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
"I find myself becoming more & more intolerant to cold as I get older (pushing 50 now). Though even as a child, I never could stand the cold very well. "

That is exactly what I was saying. However you felt as a child, you can double your cold/heat intolerance when you get older. Probably if you stay in a particular climate where your tolerance is limited, it will intensify even more as you age. That is what I am finding with the heat. The longer I am in Florida my tolerance for heat gets worse. The first year I was here it wasn't as bad.

I went back to visit NY last January right when they were having a cold front. It was 9 degrees (unusal for there) and snowing. I don't know what the wind chill was but had to be below zero. I put on a turtle neck shirt, a big wool sweater, jeans, and a down GorTex Parka with the fur trimmed hood. I didn't have boots with me so I wore running shoes. It actually felt GOOD for me being in the cold. We walked about half a mile, and back, to a bagel store. I felt fine except for my feet. If I had boots on it would have been much better. I think if I had to walk, certainly not run, that far when it was 90 degrees outside I would have passed out from heat exhaustion. I walk outside when it is 80+, with all the humidity, and I feel like I weigh 300 lbs. I weight 105. My legs feel so heavy, my head gets foggy, and I have to drag myself to walk any distance.

I still think it is a matter of your own personal "body chemistry" as to which type of climate you tolerate better.

The funny thing was that people kept saying to me aren't you freezing here after living in Florida? You must not be used to this cold at all. Actually, it did not "bother" me at all. I told them it felt wonderful. Again, just what your tolerance is for a particular climate; be that extreme heat or extreme cold.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM

50 posts, read 167,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
"I find myself becoming more & more intolerant to cold as I get older (pushing 50 now). Though even as a child, I never could stand the cold very well. "

That is exactly what I was saying. However you felt as a child, you can double your cold/heat intolerance when you get older.
Exactly!!! I saw your post after I submitted mine - I guess I took too long writing mine & we were both posting at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It was 9 degrees (unusal for there) and snowing. I don't know what the wind chill was but had to be below zero. I put on a turtle neck shirt, a big wool sweater, jeans, and a down GorTex Parka with the fur trimmed hood. I didn't have boots with me so I wore running shoes. It actually felt GOOD for me being in the cold.
No emoticon for BRRRR - SHIVER!!!! I guess you're a polar bear & I'm a gator -- even *thinking* about being at sub-zero temps gives me goose-bumps! I bundle up with multiple layers, coat, boots, scarf, hat, etc if it hits 40!! You're right - we all have our own "internal thermostats" that seem to be set at widely varying levels of comfort!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes it does speak for itself.

It says that Orlando averages 109 days of 90+ degree temps.

Do you see as it saying more?

If it does what does it say?
Coupled with the humidity, it says HOT, HOT, HOT!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
A lot of us were aware of what the climate was like before we moved here and don't have a problem with it now that were here.

I still don't understand the ones who moved here by choice, as adults, and act like they were deceived into moving here and blame others for their own naivete. When you read that glossy timeshare brochure, you understood they were just trying to sell a product, right? Adults are responsible for their own decisions and research. There's always going to be hype.
Absolutely! This is how people are snared into believing Florida has the "perfect climate" and buy a home while visiting in the winter.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Lol!

In my yard I have half a dozen species of Palm trees, Hibiscus, two varieties of banana trees (one that gives fruit, one that does not), birds of paradise, bougainvillea, crotons, bromeliads, flowering bushes I cannot even identify, jasmine, sea grapes... and we used to have a star fruit tree.

Down my block there are oak trees, HUGE banyan trees, and pine trees, mango trees, orange trees, and lemon trees. Several of the homes in the neighborhood have been featured on HGTV and other programs, one in particular remarked for its landscaping.

Sounds to me, however, like you lacked the imagination to live somewhere that didn't resemble the boring topography of the midwest and central plains states.
How does it feel mowing around all those trees when the heat index is > 100 degrees and the dew point is > 70 ?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes. It's summer. It's hot.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules
Look to your East, what do you see? Neon signs and chain restaurants

Nope, not around these parts..
Yes I see why not!

Quote:
Drive north from Prima Vista Boulevard toward Fort Pierce on U.S. 1 and you are deluged by half-empty strip malls, vacant buildings, closed car dealerships, used car lots, trailer parks, shed dealers and an array of vacant lots and demolished buildings.
Quote:
Couple this with the newest fad in advertising — putting a canvas sign on the side of a truck and parking it near U.S. 1 in the parking lot near your business. Looks real good

Letter: Ugly signs of the times : Letters : TCPalm

Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How does it feel mowing around all those trees when the heat index is > 100 degrees and the dew point is > 70 ?
I don't. I have people who do that for me.

But even if I didn't, I was mowing my parents grass in Florida during the summer when I was 10 years old. You do it at dusk in the summer.

Old and fat people should generally not try to mow the lawn in any conditions.

Last edited by TriMT7; 06-17-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida