Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.14%
NO, way too hot & humid! 64 41.56%
Not sure 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:00 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times

Advertisements

I'd much rather be HOT than COLD.

When I'm feeling too warm, I think of Long Island's slush and defogging my windshield to drive to work ... I feel better immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzysCleaning View Post
I love the Florida weather... however I do miss the snow and cold weather around the holidays. Christmas just isnt Christmas without snow...

This is called "Home Sick" and there is a cure = air flight!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:07 AM

216 posts, read 913,009 times
Moderator cut: quoted post removed

But I am SO happy here.

Honestly though, I may think the same of someone here in Florida telling me they hate the heat and are moving back to Northern New England to have more snow.

Don't get me wrong, New Hampshire is absolutely beautiful and I have nothing bad to say about it. I lived there my entire life. It is ONLY the long, dark, cold, dreary, snow winters that made me pack up and go. It got to be too much once I had kids.

Now that I am here in FL, my quality of life has improved so much. We are in a very nice area and have made so many good friends already. I go outside every day with my kids and we swim in the pool almost every day. The sun shining every day is an amazing thing.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-08-2009 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: quoted post was deleted.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
If we were all the same life would be boring.

I personally like the heat WAY more then the bitter, bone chilling, lung numbing, Sunless hell of a six month long Buffalo winter.

But hey, I know and am thankful that some folks like NY winters....I need someone to buy my NY house in about 2 years......Florida, I love you and am counting the days when we are together for good.......

Frank

Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Florida is a big state. Why is every thought of Florida south Florida? The state is over 500 miles long and has two time zones.
Excellent point!!!!

Frank D.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:00 PM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
You may be right, I may be crazy

But I am SO happy here, so I'll take crazy.

Honestly though, I may think the same of someone here in Florida telling me they hate the heat and are moving back to Northern New England to have more snow.

Don't get me wrong, New Hampshire is absolutely beautiful and I have nothing bad to say about it. I lived there my entire life. It is ONLY the long, dark, cold, dreary, snow winters that made me pack up and go. It got to be too much once I had kids.

Now that I am here in FL, my quality of life has improved so much. We are in a very nice area and have made so many good friends already. I go outside every day with my kids and we swim in the pool almost every day. The sun shining every day is an amazing thing.
Miakelly, you have all these good friends already, and the people are friendly where you are? What part of Orlando are you in? I'm a native of the state, and the only people that will consistently wave back and forth and so on with are our neighbors that moved here from DeBary. There are some other nice families in our area too, but it seems like most people are from the North or Latin America, and many of them just got to FL, so they aren't really speaking or waving yet. Kind of strange. I think it's really odd when I wave to people and they dont wave back. I guess I'm just an ol' FL cracker and used to people waving back to me, lol.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:58 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
What does this have to do with personal preference for a certain climate?

Should I post a study on hypothermia now?
Well maybe when one is "stressed by the extreme hot and humid conditions, one's personal preference is influenced.

From the link:

Quote:
When both temperature and humidity are high, humans can experience considerable heat stress. In the U.S., extreme heat may have greater impact on human health (Kalkstein and Davis 1989), especially among the elderly (Changnon et al. 1996), than any other type of severe weather.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ndex.html#data

Last edited by jojajn; 06-07-2009 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: omission

Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Well maybe when one is "stressed by the extreme hot and humid conditions, one's personal preference is influenced.

From the link:

NCDC: U.S. Heat Stress Index

Between years 1979 and 2002, 16,555 deaths were ascribed to excessive environmental cold, and 4,780 deaths ascribed to heat exposure in the United States.

Hypothermia and Hyperthermia Medicolegal Investigation of Morbidity and Mortality From Exposure to Environmental Temperature Extremes

Bundle up!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Between years 1979 and 2002, 16,555 deaths were ascribed to excessive environmental cold, and 4,780 deaths ascribed to heat exposure in the United States.

Hypothermia and Hyperthermia Medicolegal Investigation of Morbidity and Mortality From Exposure to Environmental Temperature Extremes

Bundle up!
The intereesting thing is a fair amount of the heat deaths take place in the northern states. If anyone remembers, there was a wave of deaths in Chicago one summer.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Remember, you have to exclude the votes of those who spend the majority of their lives in artificially climate controlled spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida