Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.14%
NO, way too hot & humid! 64 41.56%
Not sure 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Well maybe when one is "stressed by the extreme hot and humid conditions, one's personal preference is influenced.

From the link:

NCDC: U.S. Heat Stress Index
As I said "What does this have to do with personal preference for a certain climate?"

I really doubt that one's personal preference is influenced when they have heat stoke or hypothermia.

At this point they are generally concerned about their health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
As I said "What does this have to do with personal preference for a certain climate?"

I really doubt that one's personal preference is influenced when they have heat stoke or hypothermia.

At this point they are generally concerned about their health.

I guess good health and factors that affect it, persuade my "preference".

Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Between years 1979 and 2002, 16,555 deaths were ascribed to excessive environmental cold, and 4,780 deaths ascribed to heat exposure in the United States.

Hypothermia and Hyperthermia Medicolegal Investigation of Morbidity and Mortality From Exposure to Environmental Temperature Extremes

Bundle up!
That was then, this is now.

Quote:
Environment Florida said this warmer-than-normal weather is indicative of what Florida can expect with continued global warming, including increased drought and wildfire, stress on already-scarce water resources, and more frequent and intense tropical storms. So far this year, Florida has experienced one of the worst wildfire seasons in memory, and many cities and counties are under water use restrictions due to historically low water levels.
New Report: Temperatures in Cities Across Florida on the Rise - Environment Florida (http://www.environmentflorida.org/news-releases/global-warming/global-warming-campaign-news/new-report-temperatures-in-cities-across-florida-on-the-rise - broken link)

Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I guess good health and factors that affect it, persuade my "preference".
And that is exactly the reason for the original question.

"Do you like Florida's climate?

Not "what are things that can afflict you in a hot climate?"

I am not affected by heat stress and thus it does not affect my preference for living in a hot climate.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:00 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Without going off topic or getting controversial, there is far from 100% consensus on the validity of global warming.

But let us get back on the topic.

The question is "Do YOU like Florida's climate?" There is either a "Yes, and why" or a "No and why" answer to this........

Frank

Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM

216 posts, read 913,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Miakelly, you have all these good friends already, and the people are friendly where you are? What part of Orlando are you in? I'm a native of the state, and the only people that will consistently wave back and forth and so on with are our neighbors that moved here from DeBary. There are some other nice families in our area too, but it seems like most people are from the North or Latin America, and many of them just got to FL, so they aren't really speaking or waving yet. Kind of strange. I think it's really odd when I wave to people and they dont wave back. I guess I'm just an ol' FL cracker and used to people waving back to me, lol.
Hey Ol' Fl cracker
I'm in SW Orlando (Dr. Phillips area). I love it because we are just a few miles from Disney, but far enough away that we don't have to deal with many tourists.

Yes, I truly have made many friends already. I have two good friends in my neighborhood, they are both at-home Moms like me and our kids are all about the same age so we get together a couple times a week. I think the reason people are so friendly in my area is because almost no one is from here and therefore, doesn't have any or many family around. Therefore it is important to make friends!!!

I have also made several friends at my daughter's preschool. The parents there are a pretty close group, very friendly and made me feel exceptionally welcome when my daughter started (we started later than the other kids). There was actually one woman who went out of her way almost every day that she saw me at school for about a month, to introduce me to everyone.

We get together a couple times a month. Also, our street is great. We have a small street of about 12 houses. Every year there is a Halloween party which we got invited to this year and it was so much fun. We also got invited to a neighborhood BBQ at a nearby lake which was also a great time. We get invited to something almost every week or we have people over.

I definitely recognize that my experience is not the norm and feel that I have been exceptionally lucky with the people I have met here. Also, our real estate broker that we used to help us find our house was absolutely wonderful - she was above and beyond amazing. I am seriously counting my blessings that occurred during our move here and since we have been here.

Also, I had lived in ONE state my entire life (35 years). I was scared to move to Orlando because I didn't know a single person here and I was leaving my entire family up north. I had to prepare myself to go out of my way to meet people, to take the initiative if needed to meet neighbors, to be a little more outgoing and social than I normally am. I realized that I needed to do my part to be friendly, meet people, strike up conversations and make the first move. Be the first to wave, say hello, etc. It's a two-way street and I went the extra mile to be kind and make friends and it paid off.

Sorry this is such a long post. And honestly, sometimes I am amazed by how happy we are here and how much we love it here. I guess my glasses must be super rosy and that's fine by me

PS-I think it is so rude when you wave or say hello to someone, and they don't reciprocate. I will never understand that, ever, ever. How hard is it to lift a hand or crack a smile and say hi???? Sorry people aren't friendly in your area. Don't give up on people though - wave bigger, say hello louder, smile bigger.......make sure they see and hear you. It doesn't hurt to try going out of your way a little bit, just to see if it makes a difference. Smiles, Waves and Hellos are KIND and FREE! In this economy, we should be passing those around like crazy.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default San Fran Fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I would love to live in a place that has a cooler climate. The almost year round summer temps in South Florida is really no conducive for me to do outdoor activities like I would love to do. I would love to sit outside and not get sticky during the summer months. San Fran temps is what I wish we had. Year round 60 degree temps.
Yes, but San Francisco has that annoying fog that doesn't lift until about noon. No thanks to commuting to work in that soup!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 PM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
The intereesting thing is a fair amount of the heat deaths take place in the northern states. If anyone remembers, there was a wave of deaths in Chicago one summer.
I think it's because they (some of them) dont have A/C's up there. Mostly retirees I think, very sad. But could you imagine if they lived in FL with no A/C?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 PM

55 posts, read 216,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I think it's because they (some of them) dont have A/C's up there. Mostly retirees I think, very sad. But could you imagine if they lived in FL with no A/C?
Everybody has A/C in Florida, if not, at least they have fans... otherwise you can't survive

Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
Hey Ol' Fl cracker
I'm in SW Orlando (Dr. Phillips area). I love it because we are just a few miles from Disney, but far enough away that we don't have to deal with many tourists.

Yes, I truly have made many friends already. I have two good friends in my neighborhood, they are both at-home Moms like me and our kids are all about the same age so we get together a couple times a week. I think the reason people are so friendly in my area is because almost no one is from here and therefore, doesn't have any or many family around. Therefore it is important to make friends!!!

I have also made several friends at my daughter's preschool. The parents there are a pretty close group, very friendly and made me feel exceptionally welcome when my daughter started (we started later than the other kids). There was actually one woman who went out of her way almost every day that she saw me at school for about a month, to introduce me to everyone.

We get together a couple times a month. Also, our street is great. We have a small street of about 12 houses. Every year there is a Halloween party which we got invited to this year and it was so much fun. We also got invited to a neighborhood BBQ at a nearby lake which was also a great time. We get invited to something almost every week or we have people over.

I definitely recognize that my experience is not the norm and feel that I have been exceptionally lucky with the people I have met here. Also, our real estate broker that we used to help us find our house was absolutely wonderful - she was above and beyond amazing. I am seriously counting my blessings that occurred during our move here and since we have been here.

Also, I had lived in ONE state my entire life (35 years). I was scared to move to Orlando because I didn't know a single person here and I was leaving my entire family up north. I had to prepare myself to go out of my way to meet people, to take the initiative if needed to meet neighbors, to be a little more outgoing and social than I normally am. I realized that I needed to do my part to be friendly, meet people, strike up conversations and make the first move. Be the first to wave, say hello, etc. It's a two-way street and I went the extra mile to be kind and make friends and it paid off.

Sorry this is such a long post. And honestly, sometimes I am amazed by how happy we are here and how much we love it here. I guess my glasses must be super rosy and that's fine by me

PS-I think it is so rude when you wave or say hello to someone, and they don't reciprocate. I will never understand that, ever, ever. How hard is it to lift a hand or crack a smile and say hi???? Sorry people aren't friendly in your area. Don't give up on people though - wave bigger, say hello louder, smile bigger.......make sure they see and hear you. It doesn't hurt to try going out of your way a little bit, just to see if it makes a difference. Smiles, Waves and Hellos are KIND and FREE! In this economy, we should be passing those around like crazy.

A lot of transplants are very common in FL, especially the Orlando area. But glad you have met some nice people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida