Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 PM

107 posts, read 307,528 times

Advertisements

my husband and i would like to take our vacation in florida this year. we were thinking sarasota or tampa. we're in our mid 20's. went to sarasota 2 years ago and it was absolutely beautiful! although didnt seem like alot to do as far as night life, then again we didnt really do go out of our way to find it either. would you recommend tampa or sarasota for a vacation? never been to tampa, are the beaches as lovely there as sarasota? OR would you recommend another area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadozer View Post
my husband and i would like to take our vacation in florida this year. we were thinking sarasota or tampa. we're in our mid 20's. went to sarasota 2 years ago and it was absolutely beautiful! although didnt seem like alot to do as far as night life, then again we didnt really do go out of our way to find it either. would you recommend tampa or sarasota for a vacation? never been to tampa, are the beaches as lovely there as sarasota? OR would you recommend another area?

I would recommend going back to Sarasota and staying at Siesta Key near the Siesta Village area. One of the best beaches in the world and lively nightlife at the Daquri Deck, Gilligans, and the Beach Club. They are all right together on the main drag. Its a good time! Places to stay within easy walking distance include the Beach Point Resort and the Siesta Key Resort.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
You will enjoy Siesta Key and the beautiful beach. Lido Key is also nice and St. Armands is nice shopping. Just make sure that you don't go during red tide. I don't know how often or even if it occurs yearly, but it's impossible to go in the water because of the dead fish and the smell.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 AM

508 posts, read 1,107,849 times
Shadozer, I'm a father of three and have been to SWFL on vacation just after spring break 2 and 3 years ago. We were in our upper 20's then and brought the little ones with so with that being said I couldn't get as much night life in as I wanted to.

However, you asked about the beaches... they change a bit in character as you go up and down the coast but it is still very very nice in both Tampa and Sarasota. I found much more luck with shelling as I went closer to St Petersburg and parking was relatively cheap there too. Sarasota has a whiter color from all the quartz that washes up as you reach Siesta Key, somewhat more people are down there enjoying it and slightly gentler waves. There are some fun places in Sarasota to hang out and just relaxe around a younger crowd like Gilligans on Ocean Blvd or the Beach Club further up the street. I'm sure that the wild parties can be found in the big city like anywhere but do you really need to go far for a few drinks, music and some rolling tides? There's often drum circles and fire-eaters, live bands and other things to be found around if you look hard enough.
Further south the sand gets darker and almost black. You might have to drive a half hour or so but it makes for a great day trip to places like Venice Beach to search for prehistoric sharks teeth, walk the pier to see a fishermen reel in a catch and have a bite to eat. Good luck with your vacation!!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:35 PM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times
I live in Sarasota so I guess I would recommend it. My cousin was just here and she is in her 20's. I recommended Gilligans and the village they had a blast especially during happy hour its 2 for 1. You can also drive to Venice and go to Sharkys on the Pier hang out and drink great drinks on the beach then stay for the entertainment at night.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,733,427 times
Thumbs up Sarasota

I would definitely say Sarasota. Sarasota has a lot of things to see and do (like the Asolo Theater, the Van Wazel, the Bay, etc). Sarasota is also close to miles and miles of beaches. Tampa is just too dumpy.

Sarasota would be the best choice. Have a nice vacation!!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Tampa! You can always go to the beach, you can go to Ybor, nightlife, musueums, the Dali Museum, and you've already been to Sarasota.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,733,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Tampa! You can always go to the beach, you can go to Ybor, nightlife, musueums, the Dali Museum, and you've already been to Sarasota.
And every right turn is a dumpy area full of crime. OK...

Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,849 times
Shadozer - when are thinking of taking your vacation?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Sarasota, no question. you can always drive up to Tampa if you want to see something there. Compared to Sarasota, though, it's no comparison! haha - just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida