Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,807,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Florida schools are poor because of the economy. It dates back to before the current econimic crisis too.

Parents in Florida are having to work 2-3 jobs to keep the rent paid and food on the table.

Little Johnny sees his mom and dad struggling and knows that they graduated high school and sees no hope. He sees no jobs availible and very hard to get into colleges and universities in Florida. He decides his only choice is to quit school and start hustling or dealing drugs.
More BS. Maybe in certain poor sections of some cities, but you are over generalizing. The only person I know who works more than one job* is a single woman, no kids.

* I have several friends who have small side businesses or second jobs doing something they enjoy (art, music, weekend radio show host, etc.) that don't need or rely on that income to make ends meet. I don't consider that a "second job."

I think the problem with the Florida education system is poor policies. They require teachers to order all new books each year, even though the old ones are in great condition and still contain up-to-date info. They spend too much time teaching to the test instead of encouraging students to think for themselves. And then there is tenure which allows bad teachers to stay in their job instead of kicking them to the curb and hiring the best and brightest. They have regressive rather than progressive policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,020,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

I think the problem with the Florida education system is poor policies. They require teachers to order all new books each year, even though the old ones are in great condition and still contain up-to-date info. They spend too much time teaching to the test instead of encouraging students to think for themselves. And then there is tenure which allows bad teachers to stay in their job instead of kicking them to the curb and hiring the best and brightest. They have regressive rather than progressive policies.
I agree and I disagree with what you are saying, but the problems you mention are not unique to just Florida schools. School administrators want their schools to be regarded as innovative and progressive. Thus, the ever-changing book policies only are a reflection of the latest educational fads.

I agree with your observation about too much teaching to the tests. The saddest thing is that these tests (FCAT's; PSSA's; etc.) are now used as the basis of instruction. Because these tests are often disjointed, so is the mode of instruction. Instead of the material being presented in a "building block" format in the classroom, it has frequently become "piecemeal". Kids don't learn and retain material that way. Throw in the fact that these tests are taking time away from actual instruction just in terms of administering them, as well.

I totally disagree with your position on teacher tenure laws. These laws were created based upon a system that abused them. It is never about the quality of teaching (or teacher); it was only about the money.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM

552 posts, read 586,307 times
Florida teachers, IMO, have an overall low morale. The pay, other teachers getting laid off probably on their minds, parents not involved, the kids coming and going due to parents relocating here than moving again, etc... all brings down the overall experience.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM

569 posts, read 1,661,853 times
Florida schools are transient in nature and so are the teachers. Every one just keeps coming and going. There is no stability. When you add the fact that Florida has among the lowest paid teachers in the country then good luck.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,946,312 times
additionally the problem is that all these uneducated dropouts remain in florida while most of floridas bright, young and talented leave the state for meaningful, rewarding job opportunities elsewhere

Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
More BS. Maybe in certain poor sections of some cities, but you are over generalizing. The only person I know who works more than one job* is a single woman, no kids.

* I have several friends who have small side businesses or second jobs doing something they enjoy (art, music, weekend radio show host, etc.) that don't need or rely on that income to make ends meet. I don't consider that a "second job."

what?!?! you got it backwards there.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 AM

552 posts, read 586,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
additionally the problem is that all these uneducated dropouts remain in florida while most of floridas bright, young and talented leave the state for meaningful, rewarding job opportunities elsewhere

Very good point. Not as much anymore due to the economy, but many grads were heading to Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
what?!?! you got it backwards there.
Nope. My friend works as a secretary during the day and works at a mall shop p/t more for the discount than the money. She is divorced with no kids.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,597,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Seems Florida Highschool graduation rates is one of the lowest in the nation. link

What do you guys think can be done to improve Florida's lot? Having a ignorant/uneducated population does not reflect well as far as long term.
This could partially be explained by Florida's large minority/ethnic presence in the state. High percentages of minorities always detracts from academic performance, no matter what the state/municipality.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
This could partially be explained by Florida's large minority/ethnic presence in the state. High percentages of minorities always detracts from academic performance, no matter what the state/municipality.
WRONG. In many areas with high percentages of ASIAN minorities, the overall academic performance is usually excellerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: