Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times

Advertisements

How'd you know I was a "she"? Just curious... Also curious as to what part of FL you live in? Maybe Miami/SO FL does have more mosquitos because of our proximity to the Everglades? These forums ARE interesting because not only is the weather so different everywhere, but the people and their preferences are so different everywhere! Cool! So have you ever experienced snow? I would like to again one day. I don't think to live permanently though... Dunno... But again, I don't remember winter/fall/spring being so "gloomy" in NY or CO. (or AZ for that matter) Maybe it was just too long ago? Or maybe the weather has changed that much... Fascinating!

Old 07-06-2006, 11:01 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
We have skeeters at our house! But we also have alot of those bromeiliad(sp?)plants and a retention pond at the end of our street. They are just fierce. Step outside and they're swarming you in less than a minute

Hate them lil devils.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times
Whew..there are tons of mosquitos where I live, it's crazy now. I already have the 'flying insect killer' can by the front door & my repellant with DEET for gardening and stuff.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:08 AM

363 posts, read 2,019,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum
How'd you know I was a "she"? Just curious... Also curious as to what part of FL you live in? Maybe Miami/SO FL does have more mosquitos because of our proximity to the Everglades? These forums ARE interesting because not only is the weather so different everywhere, but the people and their preferences are so different everywhere! Cool! So have you ever experienced snow? I would like to again one day. I don't think to live permanently though... Dunno... But again, I don't remember winter/fall/spring being so "gloomy" in NY or CO. (or AZ for that matter) Maybe it was just too long ago? Or maybe the weather has changed that much... Fascinating!
That's funny. Maybe, it was the legs thing? My FL stomping ground was mostly Clearwater... but, I have lived in Cape Coral, New Port Richey, St. Pete, and played all over the mid and northern parts of the state. I agree that this is a very interesting place to assimilate information about the states. It really is good that we all don't like the same things or life would be very lopsided. You also get a feel from some that they look at the glass half empty. Some people are pulling the good from where they live and some can only seem to wallow and whine. Have you noticed that at all or am I just mean? Whelp, presently me and mine are in the Lone Star State and enjoying it every bit as much as FL... Maybe more, cuz we can afford so much more here!!! It's another world, but people are people everywhere. We had a tad bit of snow this year (the locals say they get a good one every couple of years)... I haven't ever lived in deep snow and I think I would love to try it. We have so much that's wonderful here though, it's hard to decide what to do. My husband is looking at a promotion that gives us a lot of choices... This website is quite helpful. Did you say you lived in NY?... Upstate is an area for us to consider... Lots of snow too! Oh what to do?! Sorry you got bit up so bad. I wonder why they like you? You must be very sweet. Good luck with that!

Last edited by pioneer8; 07-07-2006 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
pioneer 8, Thanks for the kind words!
Well from the posts in this thread I will assume that the Miami area is "Mosquito Land" because of our proximity to the Everglades! Cause MAN!!!
Never been to TX (other than spending a RIDICULOUS amount of time in the Dallas airport waiting for a flight back to Tucson from Ft Laud...I mean 12 hours or so???!!! ) but I would think it's crowded there too-but then again it's BIG! Never experienced Upstate NY in the winter-I'm from NYC. (we're not ALL loud & rude, though don't look at or talk to me the wrong way ) Upstate is beautiful though! I was just talking about it today in fact! As for THEE NY ,oh they get snow, but I only remember one really big storm in all my years there. (18 to be exact) It's mainly slushy icy filthy annoying to get around type thing. My memory of SERIOUS snow is from CO. It stays clean there & there's lots of it!!! Well good luck in TX, NY or wherever you may roam...

Old 10-20-2007, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 37,955 times
So are you saying that mosquito netting at night is a good thing??? I'm thinking seriously about moving from WA on the west coast to be warm in FL....like in Melbourne. Is there alot of bugs? I can live with them 'cuz I'm all done with the rain and cold of the Pacific North West.
TALK TO ME!!!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:29 PM

672 posts, read 904,941 times
Somebody told me to eat a lot of garlic to keep the mosquitos away. Unfortunately, that will also keep a lot of humans away too!!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,398 times
My honest opinion about the local skeeters, as opposed to my tall tales, is that they arnt that bad. Cept after a big hatch, Cept at nite, cept in a swamp, etc.

Truthfully, there usually are only several months of the year when they are bad all over. It used to be in the spring when the big hatch happened but recently it has been muted due to the droughts.

This year, in my AO, they have been the worst in September and October than they were all summer due to the drought breaking with the recent rains.

In most urban areas there is Mosquito Control so they never get as bad as the rural areas.

The best times for the outdoors without skeeters are warm spring days in Feb and March after the freezes of winter have knocked them back.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
I have found that her in Florida (I lived in South and now North FL) mosquitos are generally a problem after a lot of heavy rains like we got in Sept. (weather man said 30" + in St Johns County) and there is still standing water everywhere. The kids couldn't even play outside at school b/c they were getting eaten alive. I think I've been through 2 cans of OFF this month alone, it takes a while for mosquito control to get in under control so expect relief soon. They did an aeriel spray last week in the middle of the night, it scared the s**t out of my husband (i slept thru) he said the plane came right over the treetops and if you call their office they will spray your local area too.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
Fisheating Creek used to have the worst Mosquito problem, used to go camping there, Prayed for a DDT truck to drive by nightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida