U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2006, 08:36 PM

34 posts, read 119,130 times

Advertisements

I've seen lots of posts about how bad the mosquitos are - I've been to Florida several times from Jacksonville to Miami - Gainesville to Tampa and in between and have only seen 1 mosquito in all those visits. I spent a month in Middleburg (Clay county) - didn't see one, spent lots of time in Orlando - never a mosquito, - the only time I saw 1 mosquito was in Gainesville - and I mean only 1. So where are they - and by the way as I write this post I'm killing lots of mosquitos here in NH!!!!! Hate them
Rate this post positively

Old 07-06-2006, 08:48 PM

363 posts, read 1,931,122 times
To me, that mosquito talk is a tad blown out of proportion. I realize many will fight me on this. I lived in FL in the Tampa area and around for 30 something years and I can't remember a serious mosquito problem EVER! I do know that some areas are sprayed regularly by the city. Others are not, yet I still cannot recollect anything outstandingly bad reguarding mosquitos. The same goes for alligators... and I know, I know... people won't agree... but roaches too. I have lived in probably a good ten places in FL... all clean and all with different roach populations. Some places (houses) had some, others none. I think if you dump any freestanding water, and don't live by water, you'll not have a huge mosquito problem. If you spray regularly and keep things tidy, the roaches will be nil. If you don't get close to lakes and rivers, your chances of getting chomped by a gator are diminshed greatly! Just my humble opinion.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,560,715 times
I actually posted a reply in the MN forum (never been to MN!) after reading about how they have serious mosquitos. My reply there is the same I will give here: Have you ever been to The Everglades in the summer? First thing they ask you at the visitor center is if you have "full gear". We hiked about 4 miles without the "gear" - but covered in repellent. The only sound to be heard was "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" & I mean LOUD!!! They did not CARE that we had repellent! In fact I could swear they were laughing at us! We had blood all over our hats from smacking ourselves and my face was so bit up it looked like I had acne! Luckily for some reason bites on the face don't itch too much. However ones on your hands & feet do & these I get in my house in Miami, got in my apt in Miami Beach & get at my job in Miami Beach. Now when I lived in South Beach I don't recall getting many, so I assume urban areas have less. Makes sense. Although I don't recall many in Boca either, but I was west of 95 & even though there's lots of grass & trees there, there are so many huge streets that it's not real "rural-y"... But since I have bought my Buzz-Off shirt, pants, socks & hat I haven't had a prob - except for the day ONE little bugger got in the house & I sat here at my comp with my Buzz Off "gear" and so they bit up my hands!!! And once many years back while staying in Highland Beach my feet were bit up so bad I could hardly sleep! In fact here in Miami I've had to sleep with cortizone cream next to my bed so when (not IF, WHEN!) I'd wake up itching I could put that on & hopefuly fall back asleep within the hour!!! Oh no the stories of mosquitos here are not an exaggeration!!! I do think the closer to the beach you are & the more grass/trees you have around (we have LOTS!!!!!!!) the worse it is. Also we mow our own lawn & always go in & out to do laundry, water the grass/plants, etc. If you're always inside & have a lawnman, well...! Plus I believe they just LOVES me!!! Must be my white legs!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:25 PM

lol - guess I'll never ever go to the everglades!!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,560,715 times
Oh no don't say that! It really is a unique & wonderful place!!! You just really do need "full gear"!!! But definately do go! I guess if you're not a Floridian you should first go in the winter... C'mon down - they'll love you - er I mean - you'll love it!!! (Serious though...! )

Old 07-06-2006, 09:36 PM

I think these two very different experiences in the same state are very telling. This site is very good and helpful, but much of the time people experience things very differently for a miriad of different reasons. I am sure I am telling you the truth and she sounds as though her experiences were very real. Just two totally opposite feelings. Another note, I have never been to the Everglades or Miami... and my legs are tan more often than not. (smile) Who knows? Oh yea, I don't have a yardman either... just avoid dusk and dawn for mowing etc...

Last edited by pioneer8; 07-06-2006 at 09:41 PM..

Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 PM

Tan legs - sounds great - but the only time mine are tan is when i go to Florida or to the electric beach. Good thing I work at a place where i can go to the electric beach whenever I want.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nRitzy
Tan legs - sounds great - but the only time mine are tan is when i go to Florida or to the electric beach. Good thing I work at a place where i can go to the electric beach whenever I want.
That's funny. Seriously, I don't think that the mosquitos think one is tastier than the other. I do think that your experiences with (out) them encroaching on your FL visits is common... Unless one visits the swamp. My aunt used to live in NH and loved it. Are all four seasons mostly present each year?

Old 07-06-2006, 09:59 PM

The past few years our winters seem longer. Our spring (which used to be my favorite time of year) is just rain. We just had the rainiest May & June on record. My kids missed 4 days of school because of the rain. we were totally flooded out. Summers are way too short. Then comes winter again. I don't like the fall cuz I know that means winter is just around the corner. hmmmm

Old 07-06-2006, 10:05 PM

That doesn't sound to appealing the way you explain it, and yet I am oddly intriqued by the winter... go figure! Talk about different strokes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida